Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
You speak for every kill? I don't think so. Some livestock are bred just for their skin. It's a sad reality. I'd be keen to see Hermes progress to using new materials of the non living kind.
I'm only speaking from experience as an active beef and dairy farmer. You?

Reactions: macdragonfl

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I'm only speaking from experience as an active beef and dairy farmer. You?
Interestingly in a past career I worked on a dairy and beef farm. Relatives also are in the business. I do see this from that perspective also.

Autrement

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
All I can say after watching that ad: If I'm paying that much for that watch/strap, there is no way I'm also smearing my hands and wrists with paint.

jackalus

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
What a waste of money...
Not really... that's your opinion so it's fine that you're sharing it but careful stating in a way that can only be taken as pompous and obnoxious. Do you have a strong argument why it is a waste of money? I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

You don't represent everyone therefore "What a waste of money..." carries little weight if compared to say someone like me that spends money wherever I please, including for the new Apple Watch.
Am I hurting anyone if I pay $1000 more for the same watch? Nope!
Am I affecting you or someone you know personally because I have a different taste than you? Nope!
Do I feel like I'm wasting my money when I buy "nice things" for myself or my family? Nope!

So there you have it in a nutshell.

If we applied the logic of "Waste of money..." and lived by it I wonder what the world would look like today.

Thanks!

Apple fan (who also owns Android devices)

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
say what? waste of money? u may be 2 cheap 2 buy dat dud, I'm going to buy cause all my females loves hermes and money is 2 spend know what i mean? my boyz work 4 me so i no need 2 do things
What? I have no idea what this person is trying to say.
[doublepost=1474852167][/doublepost]I don't get that commercial at all.... find the bands a bit fugly (leather) wouldn't mind the orange one but I can get one off amazon for like $5.

I however say for those that like it go for it.... who am I to pass judgement. Oh who am I kidding I'm a judgmental A hole but I won't ever put someone down for spending their money. Hell I've spent $2000 on a paintball marker before..... sold it for the same price after 3 years but what people spend their money on is none of my business.

Reactions: bandrews

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Like many others, I've got a near on identical one coming from Etsy. Cost $70

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I think the responses here make it clear that the average macrumors visitor may not be the exact target. The hardware and software is identical to the regular apple watch; you want access to that, just buy one of those. For a certain clientele who will be frequenting a store like Barney's, Bergdorf's, or the Hermes store, a few thousand dollars is milk money. And that's okay; it's not your money, so it's not your place to judge who gets to buy what. If that were a thing, couture, art, high end dining, niche fashion, luxury housing, boutique hotel, etc. would not be viable markets, but they are. I'm not planning on buying one of these Hermes watches, but a normal human reaction is to understand that there are people for whom 1) they are aethetically pleasing (which they are, 2) offer them a functionality they appreciate (i.e. the same that the cheaper watches offer, and 3) a small bump in price is reasonable to them. These straps are iconic Hermes designs dating back many decades, and to be able to offer that in CONJUNCTION with modern technology is a beautiful synthesis of aesthetic, fashion tradition, brand, and tech.

As for Hermes as a brand, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but their classic designs are iconic (watch straps, Birkin bag, scarves) and of high quality. Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren, Coach, Michael Kors it is not. Materials, stitching, handiwork, and legacy are vital to their brand, and yes, the price reflects that.

Thank you for this. Very well stated. So much vitriol in this thread and your post was a breath of fresh air. :)

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
respect this man guyz, he knows what talkn bout. Hermès products aint expensive at all cause u r buying top quality here know what i mean? be sure to buy some lv and Hermès for all ur females so they c who r you and how u protect them a happy girl makes a happy man know what i mean? when my girls see woman wearing cheap bags they make jokes u know woman, they say hey gurl whatchu wearin'? so be sure to buy them brands spend a few bucks don't be cheap
Say what? Dud plz respect ppl who have da bucks 2 buy this nice things. Why u need 2 use the n word aka nozzle?
With respect, Hermes, Bvlgari, LV, et al, are totally over priced, outmoded and outdated, expensive rubbish. Top quality is entirely open to interpretation as well.

The women I know are strong and protect themselves. They are happy with themselves and so are their loved ones. Getting gifts for lovers can be fun, but it doesn't need to be a brand steeped in old thinking like Hermes. Women and men don't need a bag brand to valid their feelings about themselves or their lovers.

That's sad someone would make jokes about another woman's bag. Some of Hermes stuff looks real cheap. The joke is on the joker in my opinion. The embroidering and stitching on some items look tacky and imperfect. People pay top dollar for imperfection? Look critically at the piece.

I have the "bucks", people I know who have the bucks don't flash it. In fact the people who I know that flash cash are loaded with debt which is ironic and suggests to me Hermes et al is all about servicing some of our deepest insecurities as human beings.

This black band Apple Watch looks entirely more classy and better quality than this other ratty and overdone Hermes leather number. Friend, simplicity is the key always.

apple_mlck2ll_a_watch_smartwatch_38mm_space_1187206.jpg

watch-hermes-cuff-band.jpg

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
I live in a place where paying 500-600$ for an apple watch is as unjustifiable as maybe paying 1300$ for it in the US or other first world countries. What I learned after people calling me a bunch of stuff, including stupid for paying 2 months of minimum wage for it is just trying to make people understand that choices are choices.

If I had the money I would get the Hermes one, I love leather straps and I bet that one is really good and I would get really pissed off if people started judging my choice.

Get over yourself people

Yo my friend why no come here to da states? Im from cuba amigo and i live like king faruk in estados unidos. No need 2 work gov pays all 4 me cause I'm unemployed lol and my guys makes me da big money know what i mean? Come to live like u deserve..this country is a película. I have iphone 7 plus, the reloj watch and mac pro, all cheap here.

Last edited:

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
With respect, Hermes, Bvlgari, LV, et al, are totally over priced, outmoded and outdated, expensive rubbish. Top quality is entirely open to interpretation as well.

The women I know are strong and protect themselves. They are happy with themselves and so are their loved ones. Getting gifts for lovers can be fun, but it doesn't need to be a brand steeped in old thinking like Hermes. Women and men don't need a bag brand to valid their feelings about themselves or their lovers.

That's sad someone would make jokes about another woman's bag. Some of Hermes stuff looks real cheap. The joke is on the joker in my opinion. The embroidering and stitching on some items look tacky and imperfect. People pay top dollar for imperfection? Look critically at the piece.

I have the "bucks", people I know who have the bucks don't flash it. In fact the people who I know that flash cash are loaded with debt which is ironic and suggests to me Hermes et al is all about servicing some of our deepest insecurities as human beings.

This black band Apple Watch looks entirely more classy and better quality than this other ratty and overdone Hermes leather number. Friend, simplicity is the key always.

apple_mlck2ll_a_watch_smartwatch_38mm_space_1187206.jpg

watch-hermes-cuff-band.jpg

You know what they say - "Opinions are like a***holes - everybody's got one."

Reactions: saudade

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Sports band is better by design, better by the environment. It might not fit one's outdated view of the world, that's what needs to be overcome.

This looks horrible as the face color totally clashes with the mediocre (at best) shirt and jacket. I guess if your going for The Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory look it's a win, Anything else is a epic fail. If you were using sport band because your against leather that is cool, that is your opinion and respected. But you could easily dress this up with a lighter maybe grey or white band or metal band and at least attempt to coordinate the face color.

watch-1.JPG

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.