Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applegigs

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Before blaming the :apple: Watch, has anybody noticed that 8.3 is yet another battery drainer update? I mean my iPhone 6+ seems to hold less battery than it used to with 8.1.3... so I guess no surprise that phone is draining..

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Before blaming the :apple: Watch, has anybody noticed that 8.3 is yet another battery drainer update? I mean my iPhone 6+ seems to hold less battery than it used to with 8.1.3... so I guess no surprise that phone is draining..

8.3 has been a godsend for me. I can get over 8 full hours of use out of my iPhone 6 now where I only used to get 6.5 to 7 hours. Even better than 8.2 was.

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
I feel my iPhone 6+ has slightly worse battery life with the Apple watch. I'm not certain yet, but that's my impression. I'll need a couple of weeks to see the effect more clearly, I think.

I was running a Pebble before, and I don't recall noticing any effect from that. Still, most of my battery gets drained by Ingress and Clash of Clans as I'm an avid player of both. Ingress is particularly heavy usage since the screen is constantly on and the GPS in use whilst playing. Most ingress players carry large battery packs like the Anker 16Ah with them, regardless of whether they're iPhone or Android users.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Every single update since the beginning of the universe some people say that. Check your settings, especially those related to the new features in 8.3, and see if there is some background app updates occured. Also reset your battery by doing a full discharge - charge cycle.

pee jay bee

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Turn on the exercise app, do an hour of jogging, watch the battery deplete by at least 20%. For me, this is the biggest drain. But still, I got around 17 hours of battery life yesterday (around 4 standby). Without exercising I'm sure it would hit 20 hours.

Not great, but not terrible. Still, I'd love one that lasts for a few days. I actually feel asleep with mine last night, and the low battery warning woke me up! :eek: :D lol

My experience is that the Watch isn't suffering much on my morning run (not like a Garmin) but my iPhone is reducing more than it would. But I guess the iPhone is doing the gps work. The Watch seems to ramp up it's HR sampling from every 10 mins to constantly when doing a 'workout'

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Is anyone seriously surprised by this?

Of course the iwatch would have a negative impact on the phone's battery... (duh!)

On one hand, the constant connection to the watch itself... and on the other, all the processes and data connections the phone has to perform on behalf of the watch. And all this, on top of the fact that the phone could barely survive a whole day of medium-heavy use...

I would've guess most people getting the first gen watch would be aware of this, and be part of the experiment as an early adopter. Same goes for the watch's 2-3 year battery life.

What is a bit surprising (well, not really) is that Apple didn't disclose any of this before the launch, so people became aware of the impact on their phone.

Oh well... business is business.

Nice inventive scenario (sic), but false.

Those processes you talk about are negligeable, simple as that. Most of the heavy lifting is done by the apps updating your emails, sms, imessages ALREADY. When those messages arrive, the app which has been sitting doing next to nothing wakes up, processes the message, sends to the watch, then waits for a reply from the watch (none of these things are big battery users) so it can do the needed action.

BT LE has an negligeable impact on battery unless your watch is very far from the phone. Even then, its not going to have a big impact.

There are a few things though that may be impacted because you use them more, or changed your settings because you use the watch:

- Siri is seemingly more useful on the watch, which means it will be used more
- GPS is likely to be used more because its very convenient to have a map and turn by turn nav on your arm. People will also use it when they exercise. GPS is a notorious battery eater.
- Notification, especially push notifications. If you switched your notifications from polling to push (so you get notified as soon as they are sent), your going to impact the battery on your phone (even if you had)
- Keeping your phone in your purse or back pocket instead of out. Reception may be worse, so it would use a bit more battery

On plus side, not opening your phone and its screen and not activating the mail or message apps, should save quite a bit of battery. This would normally compensate for most of the new usages on the phone (except GPS, which uses just too much juice to be compensated).

----------

My experience is that the Watch isn't suffering much on my morning run (not like a Garmin) but my iPhone is reducing more than it would. But I guess the iPhone is doing the gps work. The Watch seems to ramp up it's HR sampling from every 10 mins to constantly when doing a 'workout'

Off course, if the GPS is on, it will impact the phone (especially if it wasn't something you were using in this way before). GPS is a notorious battery muncher. If you can go without, once it learns your stride, do so. That's what Christie Turlington said :)

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Are we saying that Apple is recruiting Quality Engineers who are ready to pay Apple for testing its products (and pay for Apple care as well which is asking you to pay again for fixing the problem)! They must patent this business model for sure!

I agree... they should! :roll eyes:

Only that, they are not recruited, but, lets call it persuaded... and they are not called Quality Engineers, but Early Adopters / Customers.

But yes, in essence, these early adopters are paying for the - lets call it privilege - of having this new product on their wrists before it becomes mainstream and refined, and before Apple catches all the bugs and discloses all the caveats it brings to their phones, their privacy and their peace of mind.

Because, let's not kid ourselves: a control-freak organization such as Apple certainly knew, tested and measured the exact impact of the watch on the phone's battery under different scenarios. My guess is they only chose not to disclose it earlier - for obviou$ reasons - and let early adopters help test and resolve it. Now, some of those affected early adopters might understand and be patient until the technology catches on... but some others bought into the idea of the watch in good faith, only to be surprised that the whole thing is not that polished.

As I said... business is business. Not that big a deal... specially if you buy into a new product such as this one, most consumers must intuit what they're getting into with any new piece of technology.

cheers!

Last edited:

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Chalk me up as another happy user. I spent the day at a theme park yesterday. Very heavy usage of both phone and watch, and I had 30% left on phone at 11pm, and about 50% on watch.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
I have found the MapMyRun+ app to be the culprit... I installed it so that I could have the watch app.... When I check battery usage on the phone... it accounts for 30% !

I think this is a common issue for the MapMyXXXX apps because they seem to use GPS while in the background regardless of whether you are recording a workout or not. Apple Watch may add to this a bit with extra bluetooth power usage between the watch and phone, but it's not a watch specific issue.

I use MapMyRide+ for cycling and have to remember to quit the app from the app chooser when I'm done or it sits there doing nothing in the background happily hammering my battery...

pee jay bee

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Yeah, please continue to make excuses for Apple. They thrive on fan boys blindly defending their every misstep. How could you possibly take Apple's side when it is quite obvious that this first gen Apple Watch is half-baked both hardware wise and especially software wise?

you're clearly talking nonsense.

pee jay bee

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
I agree... they should! :roll eyes:

Only that, they are not recruited, but, lets call it persuaded... and they are not called Quality Engineers, but Early Adopters / Customers.

But yes, in essence, these early adopters are paying for the - lets call it privilege - of having this new product on their wrists before it becomes mainstream and refined, and before Apple catches all the bugs and discloses all the caveats it brings to their phones, their privacy and their peace of mind.

Because, let's not kid ourselves: a control-freak organization such as Apple certainly knew, tested and measured the exact impact of the watch on the phone's battery under different scenarios. My guess is they only chose not to disclose it earlier - for obviou$ reasons - and let early adopters help test and resolve it. Now, some of those affected early adopters might understand and be patient until the technology catches on... but some others bought into the idea of the watch in good faith, only to be surprised that the whole thing is not that polished.

As I said... business is business. Not that big a deal... specially if you buy into a new product such as this one, most consumers must intuit what they're getting into with any new piece of technology.

cheers!

Except there isn't a problem. So all that waffle is meaningless. Anyone with half a brain would expect a small reduction in iPhone battery life. If it were 20-30% reduction, there'd be a legitimate gripe. But is isn't; and therefore, there isn't!

daniesy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
I wonder do any of you actually know how the :apple: Watch works? This should have been reported a long time ago, even before the watch was launched.

If you read the Apple Watch Programming Guide (i'm surprised that the staff on Macrumors didn't) you'll notice the figure bellow which explains how the apps are actually executed (and where).

app_communication_2x.png

The UI elements are kept on the watch while the code and processing is done on the phone. The dashed blue line is the bluetooth connection.

watch_app_lifecycle_simple_2x.png

This is why there is lag on the watch when browsing through pages or clicking buttons: for every UI interaction, the watch "talks" to the phone and waits until the phone "responds". This is a very inefficient way to run apps, but at least it conserves the watch's battery, while draining the phone's. So even if your phone is in your pocket and you're not using it, it isn't idle, it runs apps for the watch, and constantly responding to every interaction the user makes on the watch.

The bottom line is that if you're using apps on the watch, especially non native ones (which i'm sure run in a different way), your phone battery is expected to be way lower.

Read more about this, here:
https://developer.apple.com/library...p.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014969-CH3-SW1

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
The ones with cellular connectivity have horrible battery life/less functionality/are huge.

NOT TRUE at all. Sorry, but I have a Gear S and it's battery life when connected remotely is not horrible. In fact I used it all day Friday through Sunday remotely and got a solid 24hrs out of it each day. If that's horrible then so be it but that's 100% functioning without any connection to my Note 3 as it was 25 miles away. [/QUOTE]
Battery life is strongest in the following order:

1. blue tooth
2. wifi
3 remotely

Not sure what you mean by less functionality either. I'll give Apple 100% credit for a nicer appearing interface and quality aesthetics when it comes to apps, but outside NFC it's not necessarily more functional. If anything the Gear S is.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Is it too early in the year to nominate this headline as the best of the year? How are they going to top "Apple Watch Impacts iPhone Battery Life One Way or the Other"

Pure brilliance.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Well it is connected to the Watch and has to keep going backwards and forwards to receive data etc.

Yeah but those big bright screens are the biggest drain on battery life. If you can keep your phone locked more of the time, you battery life might actually improve. It's all about how you use them.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
The UI elements are kept on the watch while the code and processing is done on the phone. The dashed blue line is the bluetooth connection.

This is why there is lag on the watch when browsing through pages or clicking buttons: for every UI interaction, the watch "talks" to the phone and waits until the phone "responds". This is a very inefficient way to run apps, but at least it conserves the watch's battery, while draining the phone's. So even if your phone is in your pocket and you're not using it, it isn't idle, it runs apps for the watch, and constantly responding to every interaction the user makes on the watch.

The bottom line is that if you're using apps on the watch, especially non native ones (which i'm sure run in a different way), your phone battery is expected to be way lower.

Read more about this, here:
https://developer.apple.com/library...p.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014969-CH3-SW1

Come on, way way lower... Seriously? BT LE uses almost no power (especially for those tiny bit of control info) and UI interaction, even remotely are not going to suck much processing power from the phone unless the third party app itself is really really crappy at handling those.

If the app is sucking power from the phone, it would already have sucked it even if you didn't use a watch. The Iphone screen is one of the biggest power consumer on the Iphone, so I'd argue the increase in processing results in no more battery usage than opening your phone and looking at that same app.

Most time, the watch is not running third party apps, its getting notifications, running Siri, running the native health app, etc.

Even running a third party app, the UI interactions are quite short and consist mostly of tapping and scrolling with the crown for the few seconds the user is watching the screen.

The biggest latency is seemingly in launching the third party apps; probably because they've got to transfer some assets to the watch. Not sure if latency happens on each launch.

Mr. Pezman

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
Yesterday I finished the day with 45% left on my Apple Watch and about 30% left on my iPhone 6. No complaints.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
NOT TRUE at all. Sorry, but I have a Gear S and it's battery life when connected remotely is not horrible. In fact I used it all day Friday through Sunday remotely and got a solid 24hrs out of it each day. If that's horrible then so be it but that's 100% functioning without any connection to my Note 3 as it was 25 miles away.
Battery life is strongest in the following order:

1. blue tooth
2. wifi
3 remotely

Not sure what you mean by less functionality either. I'll give Apple 100% credit for a nicer appearing interface and quality aesthetics when it comes to apps, but outside NFC it's not necessarily more functional. If anything the Gear S is.

Your telling me you get more battery life from your watch than your phone basically.... I'm going to call it in as total invention (or you get 1 notification per day..) unless you point me to a review that says the same. All reviews that I've seen say that this is not the case at all.

Last edited:

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
My iPhone battery life has increased since using Apple Watch. The rest of you are just liars or attention whores because if this is my experience, there's no possible way anyone else has had an issue with battery drain.

Discussion over.

BAM!

Close the thread.

:apple:

duepeak

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
My iPhone battery life has increased since using Apple Watch. The rest of you are just liars or attention whores because if this is my experience, there's no possible way anyone else has had an issue with battery drain.

Discussion over.

BAM!

Close the thread.

:apple:

I second this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.