Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Treble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Manchester UK
I know some of you probably don't see much rain but unfortunately in the uk north Manchester it's permanently pissing it down, and Again the watch has let me down when running ,the screen just doesn't work when wet and went into some sort of mode today like it was charging just green time on screen wouldn't do anything even music shut down ,as soon as I was home and dry it burst back into life as if nothing had happened, I have come to the conclusion it's just no good outdoors well for me anyway so the expensive toy will have to go and find something else such a shame

Reactions: dilap

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Can't say my watch is an issue when wet. Have you spoken to Apple?

Treble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Manchester UK
Can't say my watch is an issue when wet. Have you spoken to Apple?
So when you run and it's raining the watch performs perfectly ? I don't think it's my watch as the sport version was the same I had as now I have the ss version

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If my watch is wet and my hands then yes it can be an issue but I simple wipe of my finger on my clothes and it works fine

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I know some of you probably don't see much rain but unfortunately in the uk north Manchester it's permanently pissing it down, and Again the watch has let me down when running ,the screen just doesn't work when wet and went into some sort of mode today like it was charging just green time on screen wouldn't do anything even music shut down ,as soon as I was home and dry it burst back into life as if nothing had happened, I have come to the conclusion it's just no good outdoors well for me anyway so the expensive toy will have to go and find something else such a shame
Sound like you just went into Power Reserve mode. Probably hit the Power Button and the water or accidentally swiping selected Power Reserve mode. Capacitance touch screens just don't/can't work well when wet. It is inherent in the tech.

I have ran about a dozen times in the rain (plus I shower about every day with) and have had no problems except using the touch screen.

Reactions: Night Spring

FellaMeLad

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2015
Sound like you just went into Power Reserve mode. Probably hit the Power Button and the water or accidentally swiping selected Power Reserve mode. Capacitance touch screens just don't/can't work well when wet. It is inherent in the tech.

It's strange, tho, because the OP said as soon as the Watch was back indoors and dry it "burst back into life". In my experience, when you go into Power Reserve mode, you need to effectively reboot the Watch by pressing and holding the side button until the Apple logo appears to get out of it again. And that doesn't quite sound like the OP's experience.

Granted, I think I've only done this on WatchOS 1.x tho, so maybe there's an easier way to get out of Power Reserve in Watch OS2...

Fella.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've run in the rain, and washed my watch under running water. OP if you're having issues then maybe there's a bad seal. I'd call apple about it.

Reactions: Nightrich

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I shower with my watch. If there is water on the screen it's hard to hit / swipe. But wiping it off in the shower so there is only a little moisture on it normally brings back normal results.

Reactions: xDKP and Nightrich

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
If you are running in the rain and you are using the Workout App then force touch and it will give you an option to Lock the screen.

That will keep the Watch from inadvertently thinking water droplets are real touches/swipes while you're running.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I can't speak for the green clock mode, but I agree that the touch screen is ineffective when wet. I have run in the rain, and it is very difficult to start and stop a workout with a wet screen.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

100% something wrong with your watch. People go swimming with it on!

Pop into the Trafford Centre the genius will swap it out for you (if you explain its important to you & be nice!)

good luck

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I certainly agree with the others on this thread. I live in Miami Beach where we have frequent tropical rain storms that come and go suddenly. My watch has been soaked a number of times. Of course, it's difficult to operate an electronic device in the rain, and this should probably be avoided, but your watch should not be damaged by rain.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
went into some sort of mode today like it was charging just green time on screen wouldn't do anything even music shut down

Mine did the same last week, I figure an accidental swipe up/tap on the screen from my wet sleeve put it into power reserve mode. Had to restart it to get it to respond again. Been fine before/since so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the watch itself.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I wear mine in the rain, the shower, the swimming pool, whatever. Of course, I can't use the touch screen when wet vary well, although I have managed to check call notifications in the shower on occasion. LOL

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
It rained yesterday and I had to run in it. Strange that I don't mind getting caught in the rain but starting while it is raining has always been a little strange.

Reactions: xDKP

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
It rained yesterday and I had to run in it. Strange that I don't mind getting caught in the rain but starting while it is raining has always been a little strange.
"If it ain't rainin', you ain't trainin'."

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
I've worn mine in the ocean, white water rafting, and in the Iguaçu Falls. Not to mention showering everyday with it. Still working like the day I got it.

Reactions: douglasf13

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I thought this was a good explanation from http://furbo.org/2015/07/14/a-watch-water-and-workouts/

Don’t Touch Me There
Like other iOS devices, the Apple Watch uses a capacitive touchscreen. Using our bodies as a conductor, the screen senses changes in capacitance using an electrostatic field that surrounds the display. When you surround your body and screen with a conductive liquid, that dynamic is shot to hell.

Unless you’re swimming in distilled water, the touchscreen on your Apple Watch just won’t work.

You can see this effect for yourself quite easily: just put your watch in a glass of water and try to enter the passcode:

Try using the touchscreen like this and you’ll start to understand a fundamental problem with Apple Watch.
Interestingly, the San Francisco Bay Area has some of the cleanest municipal water in the United States. The water in Silicon Valley literally comes from a pure mountain stream that is free from sediments. Most of us aren’t so lucky: if you’re trying this test in Cupertino, try dissolving a little salt in the water first.

The touchscreen isn’t the only thing that stops working: the watch’s Force Touch feature is blocked by software.

Any pressure on the screen’s sensors is ignored unless there’s corresponding touch registered on the display. You can test this for yourself by placing an insulator between your finger and the watch’s screen (I used a wooden spatula.) No matter how hard you press, nothing happens until you remove the capacitance barrier.

We’ll explore the usability implications of these shortcomings after learning a little more about water.

Reactions: deany

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Fwiw, the last time I used the AW in the shower (yes, really; free Motley Crue tickets were at stake), I blew the water off the screen and blew as much water as I could off of my fingertip. Then, I was able to operate the watch just enough to fire off a text.

Reactions: douglasf13

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Fwiw, the last time I used the AW in the shower (yes, really; free Motley Crue tickets were at stake), I blew the water off the screen and blew as much water as I could off of my fingertip. Then, I was able to operate the watch just enough to fire off a text.

Yeah, if I get an important notification in the shower, I also just blow off the screen. I also always turn of the wrist raise activation when going in water.

Nightrich

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Tennessee
If you are running in the rain and you are using the Workout App then force touch and it will give you an option to Lock the screen.

That will keep the Watch from inadvertently thinking water droplets are real touches/swipes while you're running.
Thank you I had no idea I could do this

Reactions: friedmud

kevinbeared

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
I shower with my watch. If there is water on the screen it's hard to hit / swipe. But wiping it off in the shower so there is only a little moisture on it normally brings back normal results.
I'm too afraid for now to shower with my watch... I fear that some condensated water get stuck between the glass... But if it works for you I guess I should try !

Reactions: hotsauce

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm about to run in a couple of hours and it is raining again. :eek: I'll carry a bar of soap and that will be 1 less shower on my :apple:Watch.:D

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-02%20at%205.49.54%20AM_zpsf7bvij2g.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.