Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
This is normal. I've seen my watch go in and out of apps when wet so it was really poor luck his went into power saving mode. I suspect this is why Apple made the watch waterproof without advertising as waterproof. It really doesn't work when wet - but I've never seen lasting impact/damage

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I have also found the touch screen is useless in the rain. Tried drying finger and screen but in heavy rain apple watch appears to not be responsive at all.
Its at times during heavy rain when basic functionality is really needed.
I wonder if apple will ever be able to fix this.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have also found the touch screen is useless in the rain. Tried drying finger and screen but in heavy rain apple watch appears to not be responsive at all.
Its at times during heavy rain when basic functionality is really needed.
I wonder if apple will ever be able to fix this.

This is an old thread but Apple has not fixed and can not unless they change the screen technology.

Reactions: deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Yes, its 100% hardware, goodness only knows how swimmers with watch 2 and end & time their swim or use their watch in the pool at all.

Reactions: 44267547

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
So when you run and it's raining the watch performs perfectly ? I don't think it's my watch as the sport version was the same I had as now I have the ss version
I have a SS S2 and were running 15 km a couple of Sundays a go where it were raining quite heavily (Denmark has at least as bad weather as you guys)

My watch was perfect - yes the screen becomes non responsive if my hands and the screen it self is soaking wet (shower for example) but during a run I just wipe it with my shirt before pushing it and it's perfect again

EDIT: My Bad! Didn't see the thread were old

Reactions: worker73

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a SS S2 and were running 15 km a couple of Sundays a go where it were raining quite heavily (Denmark has at least as bad weather as you guys)

My watch was perfect - yes the screen becomes non responsive if my hands and the screen it self is soaking wet (shower for example) but during a run I just wipe it with my shirt before pushing it and it's perfect again

EDIT: My Bad! Didn't see the thread were old

Nothing wrong with replying to an old thread, being you offered helpful information. I also use the method of drying my hands if possible, which helps with the responsiveness of the display/Force Touch.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Nothing wrong with replying to an old thread, being you offered helpful information. I also use the method of drying my hands if possible, which helps with the responsiveness of the display/Force Touch.

Yeah just didn't realise it :)

But yes the Series 2 might have improved the rain issue to be a non-issue as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.