Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a 42mm Sport Space Grey Apple Watch this Thursday, what I want to know is is it still worth it? Whats the battery life like etc.. Is it worth buying now because there may be a chance we could see gen 2 anytime soon?

Please let me know your thoughts, and thank you!

Ashley

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The battery will last the day, easy, for the average user. Mine comes off the charger at 3:30am and returns to the charger at around 8PM with over 50% remaining on most days.

As far as seeing the gen2 Apple watch, that will be at least another year and maybe longer. You do have new watch OS2 to look forward to next month plus os8 for the iPhone so lots is happening.

I would get it now and make sure you like it before your two weeks are up.

Enjoy

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
The battery will last the day, easy, for the average user. Mine comes off the charger at 3:30am and returns to the charger at around 8PM with over 50% remaining on most days.

As far as seeing the gen2 Apple watch, that will be at least another year and maybe longer. You do have new watch OS2 to look forward to next month plus os8 for the iPhone so lots is happening.

I would get it now and make sure you like it before your two weeks are up.

Enjoy
Awesome, I guess I am taking a trip to my local Apple Store on Thursday then. Cheers!

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
I'm finding it quite a bit more useful than I expected it to, which is a little strange, since I pretty much knew everything it could do before I bought it. Most notably, it cuts down drastically on the number of missed calls and missed messages in non-quiet environments (for some reason I often don't notice the phone vibrating on my belt). I also like to frequently check to see if I have mail, and the 10 seconds or so each time that it takes to pull the phone out and do this adds up over the course of the day. I have my main business email address set to give a haptic notification (which enables me to respond to potential clients quicker), while less important email addresses are left to just have a silent alert that I can see when I happen to glance at the watch.

Battery life has been great... I usually get up at 7:00 or 8:00, and by 11pm or so, I usually have 50-60% battery remaining (though workouts seem to consume more power). I charge it every night regardless.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Nice, sounds like WOS 2 is a big improvement, and to some extents is what WOS should have been, looking forward to it now! Do Apple have them in the retails stores now just to walk in a buy, or should I ring them my local and check availability before I make the trek?

GaryNoine

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2015
Atlanta
The watch is an accessory. It's one of those things where you just have to try it out and see if it can benefit you in your everyday tasks. Personally, I couldn't find use for the watch when I first got it. Now thanks to what I've read on here and users who gave some really great tips, I see myself using it more and more, and liking it more and more. Not having to grab your phone for everything is a great plus if you take the time to intertwine both devices to how you want them to be. No one can really tell you how to use the watch, you have to set it up and see what it can do for you personally.

And the battery, amazing to me. I find that I get down to about 40% after a day's usage, which is unreal because I have to charge my iPhone at least twice each day. I say don't wait for the new model, go for it now. Really it's a personal preference and if you don't like it, always return it.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
As the above post says, the Apple Watch is an accessory. It doesn't do much that you can't already do on an iPhone. However, it much more convenient for doing a lot of things than an iPhone. This article explains it well.

How is the Apple Watch doing? - Benedict Evans

In my experience with Apple Watch and from reading what other people use it for the most useful functions are:

Notifications - Quick and quiet with a tap on your wrist. It takes one second to glance at, and if it's not important you are done. No pulling your phone out or running across the room to grab your iPhone just to discover some marketing email.

Quick Info - It is in fact a watch! It tells you the time and date and has a timer, alarm and stopwatch. But it also provides quick access to weather, calendar, todo list, music controls, etc. right on your wrist.

Messaging - You probably rarely use Siri to dictate messages on your iPhone. But you'll be surprised with how useful and easy it is to reply to messages with Siri on Apple Watch. No, I don't use it when I'm in a loud public place. But if I'm at home or in my office or driving, I use Siri to reply all the time. I think this is by far the most underestimated feature of the Apple Watch.

Activity/Workout - The usefulness of the will vary more between different people. Since I am usually sitting at a desk working at a computer, I particularly like the reminder to stand and move around if I have been sitting for too long.

Siri - Just lift your wrist and say "Hey Siri". She can do almost everything she can on iPhone. Tell you sports scores and standings, movie info and showtimes, create reminders, set timers and alarms, do math and unit conversions, and look up random info on Wikipedia.

Apple Pay - Again, this will vary between people depending on the places you shop.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Very worth it and more valuable to me than the phone for daily use. Like another person said, if I lost my watch, I would buy another 42mm SS the same day. Love all my bands as well.

If I ever got a sport it would have to be space gray as the silver looks cheap. Just to me.

braz989

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I JUST received mine the other day and I love it so far.

I got my 42mm Stainless steel version WITH applecare+ on ebay for $550 from ebay, definitely explore used options if it makes it an easier choice for you to buy it.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Something to also think about is get the size that YOU want.
I listened to all the people that said 38mm was the female watch and bought the 42mm and returned it because I something just didn't click with me.
I then bought the 38 about a month later and I absolutely love the thing now, it's not as obtrusive as the 42 on my wrist and it looks like a watch not a gadget strapped to my wrist.

Reactions: BlueMoon63

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I listened to all the people that said 38mm was the female watch and bought the 42mm and returned it because I something just didn't click with me.
I then bought the 38 about a month later and I absolutely love the thing now, it's not as obtrusive as the 42 on my wrist and it looks like a watch not a gadget strapped to my wrist.
Funny. It was the exact opposite for me. I tried the 38 in both sport and stainless steel versions. The 42 is the size I prefer, but I'm used to wearing G-shock watches, so I prefer larger.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

Yeah I was initially leaning towards the 38mm because in the past I have preferred smaller watches, but I wasn't sure because the 42mm isn't a giant watch (especially when you compare it to some of the Android watches out there). I visited the Apple Store and tried them both on. I kept messing with the 42mm... adjusting the strap and moving it up and down the wrist. It just didn't feel right. I thought it looked fine (not as big as I expected it to look on my 170mm wrist), but it just didn't feel fine. The 38mm felt right and looked right the first time I tried it on. I haven't regretted it one bit. After 5 weeks I still feel like I made the right decision.

Sean

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a 42mm Sport Space Grey Apple Watch this Thursday, what I want to know is is it still worth it? Whats the battery life like etc.. Is it worth buying now because there may be a chance we could see gen 2 anytime soon?

Please let me know your thoughts, and thank you!

Ashley

I have a 38mm Sport and after 5 weeks I can say that it was absolutely worth it. I would buy it again tomorrow if something happened to my watch. Battery life has not been an issue. It always has between 10% and 40% battery left when I charge it at night. I think the only time I ran the battery down to fumes was the second day I owned it because I was playing with it so much. Since then I don't think I have seen the batter go lower than 8%, and that was probably a day when I recorded a longer bike ride than usual and perhaps talked on the phone through the watch.

Watch OS2 will be out soon, but the second watch? Will it be one year from the release of the first watch? Two years? Somewhere in between? Could be any of those. If you want one now I would go ahead and buy it. I bought the Sport because I figured it would be less painful to upgrade when the next version is released. I also thought the Sport looked awfully nice even though the SS is definitely a beauty. The Sport dresses up nicely with third party leather bands, and also looks great with nylon and Sport bands. Will the original watch hold its value enough to be worth selling when the next version is released? That probably depends on how old the original watch is when the next one is released. I bet there will be a market for it though. Perhaps Apple will even offer a trade-in program (you'd think they would have to for the Gold Edition owners).

Either way, don't worry about the future if you want an Apple Watch now. It's a fantastic accessory.

Sean

Reactions: AppleDavid

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
I was pretty against the Apple Watch when it first came out. I thought it was a bit pointless, and very much had the attitude of "What can this thing do that an iPhone can't?" I investigated it anyway, and quickly realised that the Apple Watch would be a very useful piece of tech.

The big thing the watch does, for me is notifications that actually get noticed. I have found for a long time that the notifications that come though on the iPhone are simply too quiet. I've missed numerous phone calls, text messages and emails, purely because I have been outside, and haven't heard the phone beeping or ringing in my pocket. The watch solves this problem, set up correctly, the buzzes that come through on the wrist are almost impossible to miss. For me, this alone was worth the cost of buying an Apple Watch.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Im still umming and arring about getting one, but I'm kind of really hanging out for the ability to be able to only have certain notifications on, i.e. reminders, calls, texts.

I believe at the moment every notification on your iPhone is pushed to the watch, and I'd be forever looking at it if thats the case.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
what I want to know is is it still worth it?
I always say this when someone asks is it worth it (doesn't matter if we're talking macs, phones or watches). Worth is subjective and only you can determine whether its worth it.

For me the notifications and the small things made it worth it, what I mean by small things, using maps and finding that the watch automatically buzzes and shows you the next turn. For my wants (I can't really say needs), I wanted something to send notifications to me when I'm unable to access my phone directly, though its still near by). For instance when I practice or teach karate. I need to know if I'm getting paged for work, with the notifications on the watch I get them without interrupting class.

The fitness aspect is nice, but there are better products out on the market at the moment if you solely want a fitness watch. With OS2 coming out, I'm thinking we'll start seeing some better fitness apps as well.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Im still umming and arring about getting one, but I'm kind of really hanging out for the ability to be able to only have certain notifications on, i.e. reminders, calls, texts.

I believe at the moment every notification on your iPhone is pushed to the watch, and I'd be forever looking at it if thats the case.
Nope, you can choose to have only certain notifications sent to the Watch.

Reactions: Enygmatic

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Nope, you can choose to have only certain notifications sent to the Watch.
The best feature of the Watch, in my opinion. Granted, it's beneficial to get your phone notifications under control, but being able to quickly/easily do the same for the Watch is crucial. I wish Apple extended the VIP categorization to other apps outside of Mail (like Messages and 3rd party apps).

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
The review I read said you couldn't....
Notifications section on Watch app (iPhone) lets you determine which app notifications you get, which ones you may want to mirror from your phone, and privacy settings. Different apps have different levels of settings. (i.e. Mail)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.