Apple Watch isn't a gadget, it's jewellery

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by daijholt, Mar 11, 2015.

1. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

I'll link you to a short video that I just stumbled upon. Basically, it points out how Apple Watch isn't positioned as a gadget, it's positioned as more functional jewellery.

Vid is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRloBkp_CTI

It's a fair point, and one I've raised every debate with my colleagues since Monday. I'm not buying it because its an apple device, I'm buying it because its the first ever device that gives me the functionality of my pebble, the looks & build of an Omega, and works with my iPhone.

Simple.

I will always consider Apple Watch as jewellery, albeit more feature filled than typical timepieces.

But there-in lies the point, it's not just a smartwatch, it's a Timepiece.

I'm a watch lover, and a tech lover, so this is like Christmas come early!

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this perspective?

2. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

I'd argue that Apple Watch Sport doesn't fall into the 'jewellery' category. It's for people who either: Don't care much about the fashion angle; Just want to 'get in on the ground floor' with regard to the technology and operating system; Simply can't afford or justify spending the money on one of the other collections.

Other than that, yes; I would consider Apple Watch a fusion of high fashion and cutting-edge technology.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Of course we are all free to view things how we want.

Apple may try and sell a Hippopotamus in a pink tutu and call it the Apple ballerina, and you may choose to accept this viewpoint.

Others may see if differently of course :)

For me, I can't call it jewellery as in my mind jewellery means something else, and a chunky mass produced lump with a circuit board inside it, isn't that.

But some will, and it's all good :)

Even a mechanical watch would have to be very very finely make and decorated very intrically for me personally to calling any watch jewellery.

It's just a personal view :)

4. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

What happens to this "watch" without an iPhone? It no longer tells accurate time.

(The Watch keeps its time accurate by syncing with the iPhone's time.)

5. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I disagree. Looks and build of an Omega? This is wearable tech with iOS functionality . I've had the pebble, pebble steel, and galaxy gear. The main thing I hated was their geeky appearance. Compared to those competitors, I think the Apple is the nicest looking smartwatch with some surprisingly nice bands.

To say its not a smartwatch, its a timepiece makes little sense IMO. The thing is built around apps, siri, and is market as a watch to stay in touch with others ie. emojis, heartbeat, taptic engine. This will be my daily functional watch but won't replace my mechanical watches as jewelry or a timepiece.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

It's an electronic device.

It's a watch

It's jewelry.

One can't call it one (jewelry) and NOT a gadget. It's both.

7. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

After the initial sync, I'm pretty sure it'll maintain accurate time so long as you don't go jumping across time zones.

8. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Nope. The time has to be resync'd with the iPhone every time the battery dies.

9. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Do you have a source, or are you just making an assumption?

I find it very hard to believe this is true. Even if it is, it hardly matters: an iPhone connection is required for 90% of the stuff you'd want to do with Apple Watch anyway.

10. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Hmm. I'd be interested to know if there is a real time clock that can sip off of the battery after the computer shuts down. If not, previous poster has to be right. All the talk of time accuracy is a bit silly. The atomic clock source is accurate and the watch is just a slave to it. I'm sure it will drift without periodic re-sync.

11. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Forget everything you know about what a watch is.

What if I told you that you can wear a device that can scan for anomalies in your blood, that can predict diseases, that can assist you with diagnosing and treating diseases, grab your heart rate, assist you with exercises, and aid in medical research to cure other diseases, and so on?

What would you say to that?

What if I told you that the "tri-chorder watch" hinges on the success of the apple watch and smart watches geared towards health?

Would you buy one then for the future of humanity?

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

13. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

An iPod.
    A phone.
    An internet communicator.

;)

14. daijholt, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

daijholt thread starter macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Very true. I would agree. However, the distinction is that why have we not considered android wear watches to be both? As beautiful as the Moto 360 is, I've only ever hear it be marketed as a Smartwatch. I've heard Android Wear be pitched time and time again, with several models of device, yet none have addressed the fundamental point of a watch; normal, non-technically inclined people have to want to wear it.

I think it's a perception thing; from day one apple have pitched this as jewelerry, with a little smart added in, and haven't mentioned the words "smart watch" once. That's the key to breaking mainstream. If people consider it "tech" in their minds they'll be afraid of it being too complex. If they view it as jewelerry with a few extras, they'll think "well so long as it tells the time, then the rest is this just a bonus".

I think we've nailed it. Apple Watch is all about clever marketing :cool: we know it's a gadget because we visit macrumors every day. The average watch loving chap won't, they'll see a nice watch, that miraculously does more than the Rolex they already wear.

15. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

No, Apple Watch is not jewelry, and it's not a luxury timepiece. It's technology that will be replaced year after year with new versions. At most, it's a hybrid between a device and jewelry, but it's certainly more of a technological device than it is a luxury timepiece.

16. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Finally someone got it.

I can also call my iPhone a pocket watch jewelry lol.

17. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Right, and an iPad is fine art :D

18. iPad Air macrumors regular

It's a gadget darn it. ;)

When people start wearing this thing and using it, they are going to realize that they really can use it...and can't go without it.

This includes me, because I am getting one.

19. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

i would be sold today (as in, I would want to buy it), if Apple can promise that the innards are upgradable (i.e. S1 chip can be upgraded, and battery can be upgraded when technology improves)

Would hate very much if it's like iPhone on annual release, especially when buying a beta product :)

20. troop231 macrumors 603

A watch
    A screen
    A terminal

Are you getting it?! This is not 3 seperate devices and we're calling it Apple Watch

:p

21. Saristeguieta macrumors newbie

22. technosix macrumors 6502a

It's the CIA / FBI / NSA's wet dream!

23. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

An electronic device

A watch

Jewelry

An electronic device

A watch

Jewelry

Are you getting it?

24. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Ah no, it isn't. My Rolex Daytona is a timepiece. It's a piece of jewelry. The Apple Watch, regardless of which model you buy, it's the same on the inside; mass manufactured on an assembly line in China. It isn't the result of a lifetime of work by a master watchmaker, and in today's terms, it isn't even a masterpiece in terms of software or user experience. It's a solution in search of a problem, designed by a great industrial/product designer who has next to no experience with timeless jewelry. It's a gadget, and that's all it'll ever be. Unlike my watch, nobody will passing their Apple watch on to the next generation, and if anyone is foolish enough to try that, the recipient won't care.

Sorry, but no. It just isn't. I love Apple, but it isn't.

25. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Honestly, the only model that can be considered jewelry is the Edition, and even that's a stretch.