Apple Watch marketing and reality

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Armen, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Armen, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

As much as all of us in this sub are excited about the Apple watch let's be clear about something. I know we're all picturing Mickey Mouse dancing on the watch but this is going to be the reality of what people see when our arms are down at our sides. Be sure you are ok with your watch looking like this with the band you are choosing.

[​IMG]

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I think most people understand what the watch looks like and how the screen functions.

3. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I think it's a good point, and it's partly why I'm going 38mm. The less turned-off TV on my wrist, the better.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

5. DC Wallaby macrumors regular

Basically: it's another one of those "You're going to look like an idiot with your blank-screened Apple Watch most of the time" threads. :roll eyes:

At least, that's my read on this. Otherwise, not sure what the OP is trying to say.

6. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

LOL.. not sure if OP was serious.

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i think it looks good. i really don't understand the "reality check" but thanks for opening my eyes to a pointless thread.

8. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

I'm ok with that sexy svelte piece on my wrist.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

He is serious. In order for the watch to last the day, it will be in battery conserve mode, so a blank screen is what people are going to see a majority of the time on people's wrists.

Not sure if Android Wear watches can stay always on and last the day yet?

10. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

if that's the case... ZOMG i was just enlightened. :rolleyes:

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Actually I'm not much of a fan of the Mickey Mouse one. But I have no idea which watch face I'm gonna use. I will decide that when I put the watch on my wrist.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

OP said obviously it will be black.. :rolleyes:

13. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

The good news is, when my arm is hanging down, I can't see the blank screen anyway.

14. Sharkey311 Suspended

That's actually the best "real world" picture I have seen of the watch. Thanks!

15. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

I completely agree, but that may be my inner-geek talking :p

16. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The apple Watch is a tool first, fashion piece second.

I could care less about the watch face being off when Im not looking at it. Thats why IM buying the sport and will probably always keep a black band. I don't need it to be an attention grabber.

17. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Understanding what it looks like and actually seeing an image are two different things. Most images of the Apple watch show the watch face (for obvious reasons) but you don't see the reality of it often which is it's a black square most of the time.

----------

Actually, that is not my point at all. I'll be up with the rest of you on April 9 waiting to pre order. I'm just pointing out that this is what most people will see when your arm is down at your sides. We see too many ads and pics of the watch with the face on and it leaves an impression in our minds that it looks like that all the time.

----------

In none of the ads does Apple display the watch with the screen off. They sell us the idea that the watchface and its glory is always on even though we know it's not. Seeing a picture of the watch with the screen off is the reality check.

----------

Exactly.

18. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

However, all the ads DO show me what my watch will look like while I am looking at it. I am getting this for ME. I am sure there will be a setting telling it how long to stay on once on. I expect to tweak it until it is what I am happy with. Of course, 10 seconds is fine as long as it is timed from my last touch of the screen or a button.

Don't get me wrong. I will LOVE showing it off like I did the first iPhone but that is not why I am buying it. I am still very curious whether there will be a HUGE first day or if it will take a little time to gather steam. I do not know anyone else who is getting one. BUT, they all waited for the iPhone too and all have one. I have a lot of people waiting to see what mine does.

It was a long time before I saw my second iPhone in the wild. I have only seen about 3 pebbles in total.

19. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Every time I look at the watch on my wrist I will see it exactly as advertised. I don't make it a point to look at my watch while it is hanging by my side on my wrist.

20. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

I get that. I'm saying others will see a black square. Be it a black square with a $450 link bracelet or a $49 plastic band.

21. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Might want to check with Apple on that. I think they may have a different viewpoint.

22. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If you buy something to appeal to others, you are just a poser. I'm buying a watch for myself. If I'm not looking at it, it doesn't need to be on.

23. Mansu944 macrumors regular

I'm amazed by the number of people here who care how they look to others.

24. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

I have a Pebble right now, where the display is always on, but you can't really see it at all from a distance unless the backlight is on.

So basically, if the display were on all the time, onlookers would either barely be able to see your display (if that's important to you for some reason) unless the light and angle were just right, OR you'd have a glowing screen on your wrist at all times, so that probably wouldn't be awesome.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Except for once in a while when the display gets accidentally triggered by a wrist movement :)

I just posted the other day that on a used Moto 360 with the latest software, I got 24 hours (to ~13% battery) with an (almost) always on display.

Without always-on, it went almost 36 hours to ~13% battery.

Note that in ambient mode the backlight is dimmed, so it depends on the watchface code as to how visible it actually is.