Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Forget about the watch, I’ll stay with my first gen stainless steel as long as it works. Those sneakers though, really nice!

Honestly, I just upgraded from a S0 to a S3. I did so only because I wanted to hear Siri's voice. BUT wow! aside from that the watches are night and day. S3 does everything almost instantly whereas my S0 took a year and a say for the most basic of Siri commands. Opening apps up with S3 is more like opening one up on my Mac today where S0 was like when programs had to be loaded off tape or floppy and took a good few minutes. Totally different user experience.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So does it come with the shoes? I'm confused. Those are some HUGE treads on those shoes too, looks like it belongs on big mud truck tires or something :p

No, it's a separate purchase. The Watch launches November 14th and the Shoes launch November 27. The article is just displaying both Products together in the photo.

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Can anyone supply pix of the extra watch faces on the Nike+ (and Hermès) models? It'd be interesting to know whether such an "extra" is all that interesting.

I have the Nike version and personally I have never used the Nike watch faces. They are nice but I prefer working out using the stock workout app rather than the Nike app which is only for running. The reason I got it because of the Nike sports band with holes in it. I sweat a lot and it is quite breathable. I didn’t want to spend extra 49 bucks on a band so invested that money in Apple care.

One thing to note is that Apple replaced the ceramic back on the gps watches to glass back. This made the watch cheaper and also slightly lighter.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
No, it's a separate purchase. The Watch launches November 14th and the Shoes launch November 27. The article is just displaying both Products together in the photo.

Thanks, the wording...

The new Apple Watch Nike+ Series 3 variation will be accompanied by Nike's new Air VaporMax

...threw me off. I see now they mean that they mean Nike is releasing both, not that one comes with the other.

dreucla21

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2017
I’d like to chime in here as well. Been running a lot more recently and the Nike+ app has hosed me many times.

Randomly crashing and losing miles, getting hung and screwing up GPS reads or split times. Frustrating syncs etc.

It’s auto pause and voice over feature are excellent. But it fails pretty badly at its core goals of reliably tracking workouts.

Deal breaker really, which is too bad because I want to love the app.

A little bit off-topic, but is the Nike+ app the only running app that will provide voice feedback / audio cues? What about the stock Apple Workout app? Or Strava? I am contemplating buying a Watch S3 w/ LTE primarily for running outdoors without my phone, but these features are a must for me.

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
So what's the difference between a Nike+ Apple Watch and a regular one? Is it just that they have different bands and watch faces?

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
What am I missing? I bought a S3 Nike w/cellular watch in Space Gray a couple weeks back and it has a black/gray band that already looks like the one in the photo as far as I can tell. It must be a pretty subtle difference.
[doublepost=1510603462][/doublepost]
So what's the difference between a Nike+ Apple Watch and a regular one? Is it just that they have different bands and watch faces?
Right, different band options and a couple of extra Nike-exclusive faces. Same price as the non-Nike equivalents.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I’d like to chime in here as well. Been running a lot more recently and the Nike+ app has hosed me many times.

Randomly crashing and losing miles, getting hung and screwing up GPS reads or split times. Frustrating syncs etc.

It’s auto pause and voice over feature are excellent. But it fails pretty badly at its core goals of reliably tracking workouts.

Deal breaker really, which is too bad because I want to love the app.
Add me to the chorus.

I've used Nike+ since the iPod/shoe sensor introduction in 2006. The system worked great until I bought the Nike+ version of the Series 2 watch and "upgraded" to the NRC+ app. Ever since then, nothing but crashes and frustration.

I've filed cases with both Apple and Nike, and each blames the other for the problems.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Those shoes look incredibly chunky. Slowly but surely shoe manufacturers are convincing people that a running should has to have inches of foam cushion. :(

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
It looks nice, but they need to really work on their code.
This happened another time during training. For the most part, I use the Nike app for training, but if it really matters, I use the built in Apple Watch exercise app.

Absolutely agree. Even on a Series 2 the standalone watch app is horribly slow. A 1-yr old watch that can barely run the software? My old Garmin Forerunner touch GPS watch has worked for almost a decade. No super fancy social features, but it's reliable and WORKS. I use the Apple Standalone app now. Apple seriously needs to reconsider Nike as a partner, but we all know that'll never happen. Definitely not sold on a Series 3 (or future 4 for that matter) if they can't figure this out.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I'm curious as to how these are "sport" bands. I can see them soaking up sweat and smelling.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nice looking shoes...

those shoes tho!!!!:eek:

Yeah their great. I have the mindnight blue model and they fit like a glove! Adidas NXT summer shoes are like socks with heavy roll-over when running corners. These Nike’s don’t suffer that. Great traction as well even in the rain. They dry easily especially after a down pour.

Lots of colours released every month for the past 9 mths. Check out sneakernews.com site and do a search for Vapour Max.

Nice looking soles, average looking shoes.

That’s the key only the soles are supposed to stand out. This isn’t adidas and can’t stand their running shoes this 2017 calendar year. But that’s just my opinion.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I can’t see the band for those clunky hulk shoes dominating the photo. I’ll guess the band is a mainly black with charcoal gray mixed in to match the shoes.

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
Just in case anyone was looking to order today. Looks like its been delayed to the 24th.

The latest look, which follows last year’s Day to Night collection, serves up a stealthy color scheme — deep greys with iridescent accents — perfect for winter workouts. Dubbed the Midnight Fog edition, this colorway of Nike Apple Watch Cellular + GPS ($399) is available November 24 at nike.com and Nike retail stores.

Reactions: TwinCitiesJHawk

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

That's the difference, yes. Price is the same, though, too.
[doublepost=1510680264][/doublepost]
One thing to note is that Apple replaced the ceramic back on the gps watches to glass back. This made the watch cheaper and also slightly lighter.

The GPS (non-LTE) watches have a composite back, not glass ("composite" being an expensive word for "plastic").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.