Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casstiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2014
Anyone care to guess why the name "Apple Watch" was chosen over "iWatch"? iWatch sounds a little better to me.

Were there trademark issues? I remember the trademark issue with "iTV". Is Apple moving away from the i- prefix?

Last edited:
Reactions: grahamperrin

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I don't think it was a matter of trademarks Apple could probably buy just about any trademark short of Google and Coca-Cola.

I think Apple wants to move away from the i-everything.

Apple Pay
Apple Watch
Apple TV.. (new television product will be called this..)
iPad/iPhone will probably stay around (to iconic).

It will take awhile to get used too, even Tim slipped up and called it iWatch.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
It's further simplification, and it combines two logos into one. It's especially good for things that are used in small spaces. Like the watch, or the Pay button. :apple:Pay couldn't be made anymore simple; the i is just redundant and doesn't add any information.

ithings-01_zps23b2ceb7.jpg

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I find it very strange that they capitalized the device name (WATCH). Very un-Apple like!

I was surprised to see that too.

But all caps has advantages. It works much better for alignment; the ascenders and descenders in lowercase make almost any position look wrong. I couldn't see the letters on the back being in lower case, it would look very messy.

Because the sensors take up the back, the apple logo couldn't be placed in the center as just about everyone would assume, so they needed a single logo that could fit somewhere else. :apple:WATCH was a good solution. Instead of every single mockup that starts with language to force a design, Apple designs first and then adapts it's language to the design. Very Apple like imo.

ScreenShot2014-09-10at30748PM_zps88efbc3b.png

Casstiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2014
I suspect it's partly because they want to market this as a lifestyle/luxury/premium product and they may think the i- prefix is too toy-like at this point.

----------

iWatch sounds silly if you think about it, as in "I watch" you.

Yeah, I think folks would get over that pretty quickly. "iPad" sounded pretty silly for a short while too.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I think you're right. Time to move on. Build more value for the Apple brand.

Yeah I also agree - it seems they want to move away from iStuff.

Everything gets old eventually. iThing is a 2000's brand (iMac was late 90s, but really it became popular with the iPod in 2001). Now it is 2014, and they push for something new.

Another reason might be to highlight that it is not just another iOS device in a different form factor.

campingeyes

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
Wigan, UK
I agree, how long before the apple logo is included in the iOS keyboard so we don't have to keep typing 'Apple'? Or do you think if you type 'apple watch' it will auto correct to 'WATCH' like it does now with iPad and iPhone etc.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I just think they wanted to avoid the verb situation, just as in iWatch or iPay - it would sound kind of stupid, they never had the combination of iVerb besides iWork.

Also I think since they have Apple Watch , Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch Edition, I think the iCombination would not have really looked good.

Could have been just a decision instead of a real strategic shift.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Apple wanted to name it iWatch, but it sounds similar to iSwatch and Swatch was ready to go to court over it. In interviews, Tim Cook has slipped a couple times and said iWatch by mistake.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Apple wanted to name it iWatch, but it sounds similar to iSwatch and Swatch was ready to go to court over it. In interviews, Tim Cook has slipped a couple times and said iWatch by mistake.

If Apple wanted iWatch it would of gotten iWatch:cool:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Apple Watch, applewatch, :apple: Watch, :apple:Watch and a modifier key

Apple Watch™ and the Apple logo® are trademarks of Apple. No surprise there.

:apple: Watch is on the Apple Watch. No surprise there.

applewatch.com is pleasantly god-like.

applewatch.net is not .com but its use is clearly commercial. .net was originally intended for organizations involved in networking technologies, it's now general purpose; I suspect the primary reason for the commercial organisation presenting nothing Apple-branded is either:
  1. sulking, on an Amazonian scale, about not getting the better domain; or
  2. a humorous response to use of applewatch.com by The Creator.
Probably the latter. Maybe no-one else finds it funny that there's a knock-off considerately priced third party alternative to an Apple product in the top ten. But I do.

Moving on …

:apple:Watch.com gets me nowhere :)
notdotcom.png

Looking up, not only to the gods …

Code:
Lookup has started…

optionshiftk.com -> 184.168.221.40

option-shift-k.com -> The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 2.)
shift-option-k.com -> The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 2.)
shiftoptionk.com -> The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 2.)
altshiftk.com -> The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 2.)

We can't argue with DNS, so there we have it – from that fifth lookup – a definitive answer to complement Apple knowledge:
  • it's the Option key, folks :cool:

Whozat?

Code:
Whois has started…

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: OPTIONSHIFTK.COM
   Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
   Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 146
   Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
   Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
   Name Server: NS47.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
   Name Server: NS48.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
   Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
   Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
   Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
   Updated Date: 01-may-2015
   Creation Date: 27-mar-2013
   Expiration Date: 27-mar-2016

>>> Last update of whois database: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:32:41 GMT <<<

…

Attachments

• ha bloody ha.png
    ha bloody ha.png
    589.7 KB · Views: 247

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Not necessarily. Remember when Apple TV was called iTV? That's because iTV Entertainment threatened legal action.

iTV-Logos.jpg

Apple TV was never sold as 'iTV'.

Apple called it iTV while it was still in design stages, in September 2006. But when it was announced in January 2007, and released in March 2007 it was ALWAYS called Apple TV.

Maybe Apple was forced to change the name because iTV Entertainment wouldn't negotiate, or maybe Apple decided to change the name because it thought Apple TV sounded better. We don't know.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… all lower cases as in :apple: tv …

I treat :apple: as uppercase because Apple requires the Shift key in Option-Shift-K

Option-K is ˚ (ring above)

Decades ago, maybe someone at Apple could think of nothing more heavenly than a halo (ring above) and so Option-K was the logical basis for Option-Shift-K …

Last edited:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
The "i" stands for "internet" and always has. The Watch cannot get onto the Internet by itself without an iPhone. The TV was first designed as a media server with a hard disk, not streaming movies from the Internet. Pay has nothing to do with the internet. Moreover, you can't surf the web on any of these products, you can't share files natively from any of these products, so it would be totally mis-branding them, and inconsistent with the rest of their product lines, to use the "i".

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The "i" stands for "internet" and always has. The Watch cannot get onto the Internet by itself without an iPhone.

So, how am I able to ask Siri (on my watch) questions when my iPhone is off? Like 'what is the score of the Yankees game?' and I get the up-to-date score.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Also I think since they have Apple Watch , Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch Edition [...]

The only thing I find a little curious is the lack of a model variant designation in the name for the SS models. It's almost like a "who's on first" bit when talking about it:

"I have an Apple Watch"
"Nice, which model"
"Watch"
"I know it's the Watch, which model?"

I get that it's easily ID'ed by saying Stainless, or Space Black, just struck me as a little odd, especially that it's the "middle tier" product (at least in terms of pricing). It's almost like they should've called the middle tier the Sport and the aluminium version "Fitness" or something (since they're already playing off "sport" as sort of an active lifestyle type spin).

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Anyone care to guess why the name "Apple Watch" was chosen over "iWatch"? iWatch sounds a little better to me.

Were there trademark issues? I remember the trademark issue with "iTV". Is Apple moving away from the i- prefix?
Omg electronics California own the iWatch trademark. Simple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.