Apple Watch not receiving messages

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gabo864, Oct 10, 2017.

1. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Hey guys

So I got my wife an Apple Watch series 3 with LTE, she’s able to receive calls when she isn’t near her phone, but no messages. Any idea how to fix this? I checked all her settings and compared them to mine (mine is working fine) and I don’t understand what could be wrong. Thanks.

2. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Hi Dave, thanks for the link. I think my case is a little bit different because this is happening when she doesn’t have her phone with her. She isn’t getting messages at all on her watch, so the problem isn’t that she isn’t getting notifications, but not getting messages at all when her phone is off or when she’s away from it.

I rebooted her phone and Apple Watch, bu the same thing continues to happen, when I text her the bubble message changes from blue to green.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

OK, the no messages when her phone is off is a known restriction. SMS/MMS text messaging requires that your synced smartphone must be powered on so SMS/MMS messages may be forwarded to your watch. iMessage must be enabled and your smartphone must be connected to the cellular network via either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. If using a Wi-Fi connection, your smartphone must have Wi-Fi calling activated.

The messages changing from Blue to Green might indicate that she has two different Apple ID in play, one on her iPhone and a different one on her Watch app.

Dave

4. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Oh I’ll definitely check her Apple IDs. I thought the whole point of having Apple Watch with LTE was being able to get texts and calls whenever you didn’t have your iPhone with you

Thank you for all your help.

5. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I have @icloud.com @yahoo.com @gmail.com and my phone number all linked to the imessages.
    I still don't know what people use to send me the texts.
    Luckily, I don't get many messages. So if I miss some, that's OK. And everyone who has texted me uses an iphone. If I miss an important message, I will sort it out but I doubt it will ever happen.

6. J.C, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

J.C macrumors 6502

You don’t need the phone with you, but for SMS it needs to be on and connected to the internet. Calls and iMessages do work with the phone completely off. But to receive an SMS on your phone AND watch, the text has to be first received by the phone then a copy forwarded to the watch. I believe this is a limitation of SMS in that it can’t be sent to multiple devices. Apple choose the forwarding method to ensure that all your devices get a copy.

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

And to allow you to have a complete "Conversation" history on your iPhone.

Dave