Messages Are Not Notifying In 4.01?

jaeb0922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Rhode Island
Apologies as I’m mobile so I didn’t search for other threads on the same topic. Gladly merge if so.

Seems when my arm is down and the watch is resting (black screen), text and iMessages never get a “ding!” Notification. They do come through, but are not being notified. It always used to until this past update it seems. Odd thing is when the watch is raised and being looked at, it dings... hmmmm?

Does being around an iPhone and/or iPad receiving the messages have anything to do with it? I’d assume not?

Am I missing a setting? Thanks for the opinions and answers everyone.

Maui19

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I have noticed changes in notification behaviors as well. I believe they change notifications slightly in one of the recent updates--probably watch os4.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone, instead of your Apple Watch. f your iPhone is locked or asleep, you'll get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked with your passcode.

By default, your Apple Watch notifications are set up to mirror your iPhone settings. For example, if you set your iPhone Mail app to notify you only of VIP emails and your watch notifications mirror your iPhone, you'll see only VIP email notifications on your Apple Watch.

For built-in apps, you can customize the notifications on your Apple Watch:
  1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Notifications.
  3. Tap an app. If you want the app's notification settings to mirror settings on your iPhone, tap Mirror my iPhone. If you want to use different notification settings just for your Apple Watch, tap Custom.
For third-party apps, you can turn off notifications. Scroll down to the Mirror iPhone Alerts From section and turn off the setting next to the app. For third-party apps, notifications are delivered only if your paired iPhone is also connected to a network.

Dave

jaeb0922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Rhode Island
If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone, instead of your Apple Watch. f your iPhone is locked or asleep, you'll get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked with your passcode.

By default, your Apple Watch notifications are set up to mirror your iPhone settings. For example, if you set your iPhone Mail app to notify you only of VIP emails and your watch notifications mirror your iPhone, you'll see only VIP email notifications on your Apple Watch.

For built-in apps, you can customize the notifications on your Apple Watch:
  1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Notifications.
  3. Tap an app. If you want the app's notification settings to mirror settings on your iPhone, tap Mirror my iPhone. If you want to use different notification settings just for your Apple Watch, tap Custom.
For third-party apps, you can turn off notifications. Scroll down to the Mirror iPhone Alerts From section and turn off the setting next to the app. For third-party apps, notifications are delivered only if your paired iPhone is also connected to a network.

Dave
I wish that was true. My iPhone is sitting locke , 30feet from me as well as my iPad. I’m still not receiving notifications while my Apple Watch is “asleep”. If I raise my hand and wake it, then test it.... works fine. It’s like it’s silenced if it’s asleep almost.

Also, I tried the “Un-mirroring” in messages, and didn’t work.

Thanks for the reply though! Not sure what the issue is here, as it started with 4.01.
[doublepost=1507663140][/doublepost]I just tested with both my phone and iPad off, and made sure I was hooked to Cellular. Still nothing when asleep.

Do we have a bug? Ooof

Maui19

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I too can confirm that this is not working. I have done a whole bunch of testing and notifications on my watch definitely don't work the way they did before os4.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
I’ve been having issues, too.

Sometimes notifications come through, but don’t give me the haptic feedback, meaning I miss them.

At other times, they just don’t come to the watch at all.

All settings are corrrect. Resetting the apple watch and starting it as new didn’t help.

Chas607

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2017
League City, TX
I was having the same issue yesterday. Seemed like rebooting my phone solved it (for now at least). I have seen a few other mentions of this issue.

K Anderson

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
My notifications have been spotty too. I did not get one for a call the other day, yesterday I got a notification for a text but not one for a call. This morning I called myself when I got to work and it worked fine but then I did not get notified for a text at all but it was on my phone when I got home for lunch.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Its odd.

I get iMessages fine but texts from Android friends aren't coming through.

All other notifications are fine as they have been. Just non-apple texts aren't working.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Is you iPhone on and connected to your carrier? SMS/MMS text messaging requires that your synced smartphone must be powered on so SMS/MMS messages may be forwarded to your watch. iMessage must be enabled and your smartphone must be connected to the cellular network via either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. If using a Wi-Fi connection, your smartphone must have Wi-Fi calling activated.

Dave

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Just about to speak to Apple support about this. Notifications died for most apps and are a random mess for the inbuilt stuff. Tried unpairing etc, toying with all settings. Just can't get it back to the way it was.

Reactions: Fireball Dragon

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Small update, we went through the motions without resolution. The techie opened a case for their software engineers and I'm uploading the iPhone diagnostic logs to them now. They suspect a bug. Will get a reply in a few days they said.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
everything was working fine for the last week, and now all of a sudden I do not get text notifications on my watch any more (S3 Nike LTE)

Emails - Yes
App Notifications - Yes
SMS - No

I've rebooted both devices

Interestingly, if I do nothing, and wait for another notification to come in (eg an email), when I look at my watch it will show both the email alert AND the text message. but otherwise it shows nothing

Maui19

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Ok this is really weird: today my notifications started working normally again. Could this possibly be a carrier thing?

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Tried a dozen times to upload to Apple the 430MB logs on their link but always froze around 50%.

Strarted getting news notifications last night from the Guardian.

Can’t be carried as haven’t activated LTE yet.

jaeb0922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Rhode Island
I noticed that if I am wearing the watch tight, and with passcode on, it was getting all notifications. Passcode OFF and a little loosely worn, which is how I prefer, nothing message wise, but emails, etc are all good.

So odd!!!!

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've seen this as well. It's also happening with my Mac that's on HS. It's pretty random as to which devices do or don't get the iMessage updates (then, conveniently, they get those missed messages when you use them).

I figured this was due to them ripping iCloud Message Sync out of iOS 11 before launch. (little evil bits left in the code that cause random strangeness). Heh. I couldn't have been the only one to expect that??? :)

Edit: Seems I'm not the only one...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/18/imessage-icloud-sync/

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
Tried a dozen times to upload to Apple the 430MB logs on their link but always froze around 50%.

Strarted getting news notifications last night from the Guardian.

Can’t be carried as haven’t activated LTE yet.
Ive had this issue too when uploading the logs. My solution was to use another web browser, like Chrome. I am assuming you were using safari.

Reactions: Senfinger

Senfinger

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
Having the same issue as well... glad to see the same in these forums! Support Group FTW LOL
Deleting Email Accounts and adding them back in etc... I get them for SMS and GMAIL... just not Native Mail using an Exchange Account.