Apple Watch on a beach vacation

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Barbariska, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Barbariska macrumors member

Barbariska

Seriously not sure what to do - leaving for two weeks Mexico vacation, obviously most of the time will be around water, should I bring my watch (sports edition) or do not even bother? I still plan to jog daily on the beach, so would be nice to see my circles filling up, but do not want to ruin the watch. So, apple watch lovers, what would you do?

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

What's the point of the sport edition if you're afraid to do physical activities with it?

3. Fthree macrumors 6502a

fresh off a beach run i have to say that you should take it! I took mine and use it on my morning jogs. LOVE IT! another thing i noticed is how many other AW lovers there are out running with them on.

4. Fthree macrumors 6502a

one other note--- Leave it on its charger when you go out to the waves. Put it back on your wrist when the night comes and its time to go out. My favorite thing about the beach is that people are who they are even when going out they like to stay hip

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't bother taking any watches to the beach, even if it's a rugged one. Why would I want to enhance the watch tan line?

If you normally wear a watch to the beach, there's no reason to leave it at home.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

What better way to replenish the oleophobic coating than with a little Hawaiian Tropic?

7. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I say go for it. After a day of salt water exposure you should soak the watch in normal water 5-10 minutes to get everything off. Make sure you run water over the digital crown and spin it when you do so to make sure nothing is stuck in there.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't take mine to the beach. Fresh water can dry off, saltwater will dry but might leave salt and sand in your microphone or under the digital crown. I would also think that one single grain of sand against that screen with scratch it. Not worth the risk to me.

9. hgrimberg macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

If you take it to the beach, sand will damage it, if you leave it in the hotel or car, they will steal it.

10. utsava macrumors regular

On my recent beach vacation I brought it, but put it in one of those sunglass microfiber pouches when I was actually on the sand. I've only had 1 significant scratch on my iPhones since the original, and it was from a piece of sand while at the beach. I just don't trust that sand wont scratch it (and I don't have a sapphire screen).

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I live by the beach, I can't see going there and taking my watch. True there's a reason to get the sports model, yet with that said, I don't think taking chances with it.

12. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

I'd be worried about the sand getting in the crown ans scratching the display.

13. stoney05, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015

stoney05 macrumors regular

The sand will scratch the screen; probably best to leave it at the hotel.

14. Fthree macrumors 6502a

I literally just came back from the beach. I took mine and used it for the running and going out i DID NOT take it anywhere near where it could get wet or sand in it. I did however have a nightmare that i wore it into the ocean and it died and was unable to work--- That was terrible. Go for your runs and put the watch on the charger while you hit the water.

15. Barbariska thread starter macrumors member

Barbariska

I lean towards leaving my watch at home or take it but keep it in the safe and wear it only for night entertainment. I can record my runs with the phone and runkeeper. I don't want to ruin my watch and regret after. Thanks for everyones input!

16. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I've been in Hawaii for the past 7 days and for 3 more, been to the beach, in the ocean, in the pool, you'll be fine, don't baby it, its a rugged little watch. Just have fun with it

17. Zlewisss macrumors newbie

On a vacation myself and I have been leaving the watch off for ocean and beach time. I sure do miss wearing it but don't really like the salt water idea.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The beach has something called sand - its used in sandpaper to strip paint and finishes off of things. Yeah, I'd avoid taking it to the beach as I said :D

With that said, I live near a beach but I can't see myself running on it with sand kicking up and potentially getting in the nooks and crannies of the watch.

19. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I've literally had my watch covered in sand at the beach, and the screen is still as perfect as day one. I mean literally I had it basically under sand, no issues. YMMV but accidentally experiencing a sand issue I can say there really was no issue, just had to wipe the sand off the watch.

20. Fthree macrumors 6502a

did you submerge it?

21. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

I live about 10 minutes from the beach and 5 minutes from the intracoastal waterway, so if I didn't wear my watch near the water, I wouldn't wear it anywhere. If you plan on going swimming or laying around in the sand, I'd leave the watch in the car/hotel. However, jogging or casual strolls along the waters edge, you'll be fine to wear the watch. Just make sure you clean it with some fresh water on a microfiber cloth when you get back to the hotel. Don't want to leave sea spray on it forever.

22. Easttime macrumors 6502

I wear it around the boat all the time. Live by the ocean. Reason I got the Sport.

23. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I can tell you my past beach experience and what I plan to do in the next month, where I will be around the beach for a month. And offer some suggestions.

If you're like me, and you want to use the Watch for more than exercise, then your iPhone will be nearby. 30 feet. So protecting the iPhone will go hand in hand with care of the watch.

My last day at the beach was mostly sitting in a beach chair. No problem just wearing the watch, phone inside my back pack. If I went into the water, watch goes off the wrist and into a hard eyeglass case, with a cloth to prevent movement inside. But normally someone stayed behind at the umbrella. Just as I would do for any watch or valuables.

Being that you will be in Mexico, you may not want to leave it unattended. So leave in in the hotel safe, unless you are in possession, like running with it.

With care, sand should be no problem, but be aware of it. Sand will scratch glass and metal. As people said, it's sandpaper, BUT you do need to apply some pressure, like sandpaper. So if you get some, blow or wipe the sand off gently.

One trick I do, is to wear an elastic tennis sweat band covering the watch. It hides it from eyes and sand, dirt. No sand should get underneath, but take care.

With precaution, you should be fine, the same precaution you might take with your eyeglasses, iPhone screen or wallet. Do rinse in fresh water and dry. It removes any salt spray and dirt. Pat dry. But if you plan doing all day water sports,leave it in the hotel.

But do take it! Many hours will be spent outside the beach, so have fun with it.

Enjoy your trip!

24. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity how much water should we be getting on these watches? I've been crazy careful with it around water of any sort

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's rated IPX7 (waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes) and many members have showered with it, taken it swimming, etc. so you do not have to be particularly careful with it around water like other iDevices.