Apple Watch on its Way, No iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iBreatheApple, Apr 17, 2015.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Spent $200 repairing my screen yesterday, and then left it out in the pouring rain all night. Ouch. When I went out and got my phone, it was working, the only problem was that the phone thought the headphones were plugged in when they weren't so I wasn't getting any sound. I went back to bed and woke up a few hours later. The headphone jack seem to have been working normally again. After a few minutes on the phone, it just cut out and hasn't responded since. It's been in a bag of rice for about 24 hours and there is currently no sign of life.

My question is, will I be able to activate the watch with no iPhone? Would you cancel your order? I can't afford a new iPhone right now.

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Ouch, that sucks.

It's highly unlikely you will be able to do anything on the watch without an initial setup using an iPhone. I would cancel if it were me.

3. kovey macrumors 6502a

Your phone is probably screwed if it was out in the rain all night long, but a bag of rice will do absolutely nothing but waste precious time. All the rice does is absorb surface moisture and give some placebo effect to the feeble minded.

See if you can find a desiccant pack somewhere locally, or overnight it from amazon. That's your only chance.

4. bikermahn macrumors newbie

If your an early pre-order you could easily unload it to someone and be a hero, even if you charged a few dollars more. If your phone is a late order then yeah i'd cancel.

5. Munky macrumors 6502

Sounds like you shouldn't be using technology if you leave your phone somewhere it can rain on it all night.

6. SteveLV702 macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

rice actually makes things worse as it pulls out the moisture/water and so if you have water in one little spot thats not affecting any of the major parts and then you put in rice now its going to pull that water out but while also spreading it all over every part of the phone therefore anything that shouldn't be wet at all gonna get wet and short out and make your phone unusable ever again.

You got applecare+ or insurance through your carrier?

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

At the very least you should open the phone up to let it dry out with a fan or hair dryer. It may come back to life. :cool:

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

If you have a Radio Shack or Best Buy around, there are better recovery solutions other than rice.

And get a LifeProof case or something. Heck, even a ZipLock bag would've been better than nothing.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

The Watch is pretty much useless unless you have an iPhone to pair it with. Either find a cheap iPhone 5 on Craigslist (assuming you're in the US) or sell your Watch for a few dollars extra.

10. colem1 macrumors member

Ouch. That's terrible news. You could try anything mentioned above. Also check your cards, AppleCare etc for any hope of insurance.

Canceling is an option, but of course if you have a launch model I'm sure someone would be all over it.

11. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

:confused:

That sucks, but if a iPhone or otherwise another piece of electronics gets inadvertedly wet you should never use it, whether it seems to be working or not. Power off, open up for some excess water (if you're able to do it), thorough slow dry in a warm-ish dry place for at least a few days.

I would cancel it or flip it. If you couldn't afford a new iPhone -> now you can with the Watch money.

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

13. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Also, if it was working and then shut off, you probably shorted out something, so drying it out now probably isn't going to make a difference. In general if you get electronics wet your only hope it to shut it off as soon as possible (best to remove the battery completely but obviously that won't work for an iPhone).

14. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

If you have Apple Care just get another phone.

15. iBreatheApple, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015

iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Yeah man, totally. I did it on purpose, too.

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

especially on the same day he got the screen repaired. smh

17. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

If you can't afford to replace your phone you probably don't have any business buying the watch. Do the sensible thing and cancel your order so you can at least have a working phone.

18. torontoapple macrumors member

torontoapple

Just wondering, how do you leave your phone outside ? :confused:

19. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Why are people saying sell the watch? Just cancel the order and use the money your saving on buying a new phone.

21. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Really? Why sell it? OP could afford to buy a new phone AND a watch.

Although I haven't done this, there is NO crime in selling something you bought and making a profit. That is not scalping, it's capitalism.

22. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You'll get more money selling the watch than canceling.

23. ronm99 macrumors 6502

You can get a refurbished iPhone 5C on eBay for $210 ...

A phone is obviously more important than a watch (which is useless without a phone), so either buy a phone to go along with your watch, or cancel the watch order and buy a phone.

24. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

The Apple Watch is a companion product. Without an iPhone, your watch is a bracelet. I won't even be able to tell time.:(

25. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

That is not correct. Although you need an iPhone to pair with for original set up, it will certainly tell time and other features, but once again, it needs to be paired up with an iPhone 5 or newer first.