Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An estimated 2.5 million Apple Watch orders have been processed in the United States in the first five weeks of availability, according to Slice Intelligence (via Quartz). Extrapolating from the e-receipts of about 14,000 online shoppers who use Slice's services, more than half of the orders placed so far came on April 10, the first day of pre-orders, with the Apple Watch averaging 30,000 orders per day since.

slice-orders.jpg
Daily Apple Watch order estimates in U.S. (first-day orders of nearly 1.5 million omitted)
As Quartz points out, the Apple Watch saw a notable rise in order interest on April 24, the day most initial Apple Watch pre-orders that weren't high in demand, like the Leather Loop or Black Sport band, began arriving to customers. Social media posts and word of mouth that day no doubt helped Apple receieve a few extra orders, and it reaches back up to around 40,000 on a few days in April and May, but otherwise Apple's new wearable has seen a steady decline in order numbers since its launch date, according to the e-commerce shopping firm.

Even with the steep decline following the start of pre-orders, Apple Watch sales are easily outpacing early sales of the iPod and iPhone, and slightly topping those of the iPad, although Apple's continually increasing user base since the debut of those devices gives the company momentum for each subsequent product family launch.

Slice Intelligence's Apple Watch update today comes a few weeks after providing a break down of initial pre-orders for the wearable, which pegged 62 percent of customers as having pre-ordered the Apple Watch Sport and an unexpected popularity of the Space Gray case and Black Sport band. As with that data, a few factors should be taken into account when looking at Slice Intelligence's order estimates, including its data being limited to the United States and the relatively small pool of customer receipts examined.

Today's report also falls in line with KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's prediction of the Apple Watch order demand beginning to slow down following a high launch period. Although Apple has yet to announced any sales numbers for the Apple Watch and doesn't plan to break the device out into its own reporting segment in financial results, the Apple Watch's entry into the company's upcoming brick-and-mortar retail locations in June could help boost the wearable's sales figures.

Article Link: Apple Watch Orders Estimated to Average 30,000 Per Day in U.S. After Initial Surge

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So 200,000 watches were ordered before mine... and I have to wait until the end of June... so they are building about 3000 a day? Seems slow...

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
These numbers add up to 2.5 million orders per quarter. It's a good start for a new category, methinks.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Even with the steep decline following the start of pre-orders, Apple Watch sales are easily outpacing early sales of the iPod and iPhone, and slightly topping those of the iPad

Seems as good a time as any to bring these comments up:

This will feed on the desire for innovation but I think the desire will tank and we will be hearing failure within 3 months.

The watch will be the biggest product fail in apples history and will go in the books as one of the biggest fails in business history.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the watch bombs in a way no one thought possible. Firstly, no women are buying this: it is too big and women already have their phones out constantly to text.

Next time, maybe be a little more humble.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

This is pretty telling.

A projection by some analytics firm most people have never heard of? I'd be curious to know who here had opted in to Slice's purchase tracking. And if there's such a steep fall off in demand wouldn't shipping times be drastically improving?

troyholl99

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2015
I wonder what the average daily sale's number for the other smart watches?

The entire history of sales is under 800,000 for all other manufactures. I'm amazed by anyone that posts that this rollout was a failure, its been an amazing success so far. 30,000 watches a day...thats astronomical. Even if every purchase was the cheapest version, that would be $4.4B in sales a year! My wife got hers a few days ago and loves it! I'm still waiting on the SS Black Link that delivers in June... can't wait!

troyholl99

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2015

This is pretty telling.

Your graph isn't telling at all... every Apple product launch would have a graph like this. They telling part is the millions they sell of a product BEFORE its even in the store.... all other product companies in the world would love to have a graph like this.... the telling part is 30,000 watches selling per DAY for a product that won't deliver until like July now! Amazing...

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
So basically Apple will sell over 16x the number of smart watches than every other company combined and some will still deem it a failure.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
So let me get this straight: Ming-Chi Kuo accurately predicted that lots of Apple Watches would be sold at launch, and then demand would slowly taper off? No wonder people think he's such a genius! :eek:
latest

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
I highly doubt this is true and I'm sure if they are selling a bit, that it's mostly 3rd party resellers trying to get their 5% margin off of selling it at their crappy mini mall stores.
The apple watch is a giant POS.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I actually predicted around 3 million units a quarter with maybe adding 1-2 million units with YOY growth.

But we must also note you can't ''just buy one''. So I think sales figures will be skewed for the next few months.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Goes to show then that Apple has about 1.5 million die hard fans and everyone else is a 'wait and see' type of person.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
The entire history of sales is under 800,000 for all other manufactures. I'm amazed by anyone that posts that this rollout was a failure, its been an amazing success so far. 30,000 watches a day...thats astronomical. Even if every purchase was the cheapest version, that would be $4.4B in sales a year! My wife got hers a few days ago and loves it! I'm still waiting on the SS Black Link that delivers in June... can't wait!

The sheer power of marketing.

Has any other watch company spent near as much on marketing?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
These numbers add up to 2.5 million orders per quarter. It's a good start for a new category, methinks.

Wall Street has predictions of 36 million sold in the first year so there will be pressure to sell a lot more then 2.5 million per quarter. With the 36 million prediction Apple really needs to get these things selling quickly. The story also says that is a conservative estimate compared to some so many are having very high expectations for this product.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-watc...illion-over-first-12-months-predicts-analyst/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.