Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
There is a difference between a mark-up to make some profit, and a rip-off to fleece people out of their money just because you can. Apple has crossed the line here. They are the most valuable company on the planet and already have more cash than many entire countries. All of their execs are already rich many times over. They should be ashamed of themselves for what they are charging.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Haha, the out of warranty service fee for the Edition is more than for a Patek...

Comparing apples and oranges. Most companies mean "service" when they say service. Apple out-of-warranty service replaces the product with a new one.

$3600 late fee? Whaaatttt? That's genuinely insane!

Not at all. Say you have $10,000 Apple Edition watch. You get a new $10,000 watch through "out-of-warranty" service. But you forgot to send your old $10,000 watch in, because you like the gold on it so much. Then Apple doesn't just let you keep two $10,000 watches but sends you a gentle reminder that you only paid for one $10,000 watch and not two.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In the UK, we get a 1 year warranty.

I think most of the EU gets 2 years?

In the UK, we also get the ability to make a legal claim against the retailer for up to 6 years (no ability in EU I don't think).

You have to distinguish between warranty and consumer rights. Warranty is what the manufacturer or seller gives you voluntarily, and there are no legal rules about that. For computers, phones etc. Apple gives you one year worldwide if you buy in the EU.

Consumer rights say that the product has to last for a reasonable time and you can make a claim against the retailer. The 6 years in the UK is how much time you have to make a claim, not how long the product has to last. (For example, if I send you a bill and you don't pay, I have 6 years to take you to court; it's the same principle). We'll have to see what will be regarded a "reasonable time" that a watch should last.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Apple Watch out of service fees = plain greed

Apple need to have a look at what other makers charge for out of service fees for electronic watches. I had a complete new electronic suite and motors in my Breitling Aerospace titanium for just €200. Apple's fees look just plain greedy. As others have commented, Patek Philippe and Jaeger le Coultre charge less for their grand complication/tourbillon watches for repair/service, which require real skill to repair.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
That's insane. I can get my Rolex and brietling serviced for 800 and they come back like a new watch. 2800 for digital watch repair is ridiculous.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
You have to distinguish between warranty and consumer rights. Warranty is what the manufacturer or seller gives you voluntarily, and there are no legal rules about that. For computers, phones etc. Apple gives you one year worldwide if you buy in the EU.

Consumer rights say that the product has to last for a reasonable time and you can make a claim against the retailer. The 6 years in the UK is how much time you have to make a claim, not how long the product has to last. (For example, if I send you a bill and you don't pay, I have 6 years to take you to court; it's the same principle). We'll have to see what will be regarded a "reasonable time" that a watch should last.

That's pretty much exactly the point I was making. :D

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Well, i like the apple watch, but honestly, its a rip off. Heres hoping the google/android wear app is allowed into the app store and then i'll get the LG GR watch instead.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
You realize this is an OUT OF WARRANTY fee, right? Right.

Yes I do. At any time I can send my Rolex or Breitling in for service. They COMPLETELY take is apart and replace any worn parts and clean every piece then and put it back together. It literally comes back looking like the day I bought it. 2800 is an INSANE fee. But I guess if you have 10k to blow on a novelty with a 2 year life span that I guess is doesn't matter how much they take you for.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I suspect since they are offering the send out first service they are having to do something to cover the costs of "new" or "like new" products. You would go ballistic if you sent in the gold Edition in perfect cosmetic condition but had dropped it in a pool and wanted to repaired by using the express method and received your "repaired" watch with some scratches and nicks in the gold housing. So the outsides have to be pretty much flawless, or at least damn near it (maybe apple will polish and cleanup the surface so at a microscopic level they aren't "new" but visually they're new). Ok, so that's great, a spotless watch returned for a spotless watch. But what happens if you scratched it a couple times and then accidentally dropped it in the pool. Ya, it sucks your gold housing got scratched, but you like your watch and want the water damage repaired so you use the express option. Apple sends out a basically new watch and you return a repairable water damaged watch BUT it has cosmetic flaws, maybe to the point where a polish won't fix it. Apple probably can recycle the gold and integrate it back into the system but there's going to be some sizeable costs with that. Hence the pretty steep fees. I also suspect most in store repairs will be an apple rep discussing the issue with you, looking at the watch, "checking off" on the repair and then giving you a "new" watch to walk out with.

Maybe some iPhone users with AppleCare+ that have cracked screens can weigh in on if they've had to leave the phone with Apple for a full day while they replace the screen in house. I know they shifted a lot of repair work to the stores but in my experience they still swap out the phone for a hassle free 5 to 10 minute experience for the customer if it's under warranty or AppleCare+.

(Also, I LOVE the idea of the Express mail service. I would love that on iPhone. I've had to have a few over the years replaced for different reasons and always had to drive 120 miles away to an Apple Store (made a day trip of it) since I didn't want to be without my phone for 5 days or something if I opted to mail it to them and THEN they repair/ship or just ship a replacement)

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Oh my god the comments are beyond asinine. I can promise that every single person whining cannot afford the Edition and will never own one. It's not for you, stop feigning outrage for something that has no effect on your life.

Nobody is forced to buy an Apple Watch, and nobody is forced to buy Apple Care if they do buy one. And either way, nobody is forced to service it either.

Stop whining about things that shouldn't be whined about. This place has gotten more and more childish over the years. Most of you sound like the smallest, most basic Sport version is more your speed.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
That's good of them...

When they start offering orders online in a timely manner, I'm also wondering if their standard "14 days return policy" will cover returns of an Apple watch too .... since its an accessory..

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Yes I do. At any time I can send my Rolex or Breitling in for service. They COMPLETELY take is apart and replace any worn parts and clean every piece then and put it back together. It literally comes back looking like the day I bought it. 2800 is an INSANE fee. But I guess if you have 10k to blow on a novelty with a 2 year life span that I guess is doesn't matter how much they take you for.

That depends. Rolex's typical overhaul service runs about $600 excluding parts, except for the mainspring and waterproof gasket. I had a sapphire crystal, winding stem and escapement clutch replaced by a third party tech the costs of which would have run me about $2500 through Rolex.

What they're trying to do, obviously, is steer people toward the AppleCare packages. It will always be the case that a mobile device is cheaper to replace than to repair... it really isn't comparable to the labor and parts aspect of a mechanical watch... but as a Rolex owner I can tell you first hand that their labor and parts are heavily overpriced, too.

Does it really cost $90,000 to replace the radiators on a Bugatti Veyron? No. But the pricing goes hand in hand with the creation of perception of value for people who are status conscious.

anek007

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2014
The out of warranty service fee is a joke. By the time warranty expires you can buy the same watch brand new at a discounted price because the newest version will be out. You will also realize the watch is outdated and now you want the newest one.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The out of warranty service fee is a joke. By the time warranty expires you can buy the same watch brand new at a discounted price because the newest version will be out. You will also realize the watch is outdated and now you want the newest one.

For the cheaper watches it probably would be smarter to just buy a new one. These are thruway products. And now that I think about it, $3000 is pocket change for someone who spent $17K for a watch.

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015
Buy AppleCare+, Problem solved, or take care of and don't break your watch.

I wonder what Apple will charge for battery replacement. Possible they may use a normal battery? Or is that wishful thinking?

How does one add AppleCare+ to a watch purchase after the fact? When I try to order it now the Apple Store gives me the message that I don't have the relevant item also in my cart.

I called Apple as I made the same mistake. They should be able to add it over the phone.

-TMacGuy

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
There is a difference between a mark-up to make some profit, and a rip-off to fleece people out of their money just because you can. Apple has crossed the line here. They are the most valuable company on the planet and already have more cash than many entire countries. All of their execs are already rich many times over. They should be ashamed of themselves for what they are charging.

Couldn't agree more. Especially considering there's really no point to the Apple Watch other than it being an overly expensive and glorified device of notification convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.