Apple Watch outsells entire Swiss watch market

edhchoe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
I sold all my mechanical watches except for one. And I don't even wear that ever.
Apple watch is the only watch I wear now.
Rolex was nice but no other watch provides what I need like an AW.
I used to envy 911 but having a Tesla quenched that also.

Function + practicality > Form

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
This isn’t really news, as After the first GEN Apple Watch launched, Cook mentioned during the keynote that it was out-selling Swiss watches accordingly. That’s not really a shocker, but you have to remember, the Apple Watch is substantially cheaper device under Swiss watches, plus, it’s a tech device that serves a totally different purpose over a mechanical watch.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This isn’t really news, as After the first GEN Apple Watch launched, Cook mentioned during the keynote that it was out-selling Swiss watches accordingly. That’s not really a shocker, but you have to remember, the Apple Watch is substantially cheaper device under Swiss watches, plus, it’s a tech device that serves a totally different purpose over a mechanical watch.
Indeed. Before the Apple Watch Citizen and Casio have been selling more watches than Swiss brands since the 1960’s. Totally different markets at the end of the day.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
The original Apple Watch didn’t outsell Swiss watches. There was only a rumor that internally Apple was confident the Apple Watch will beat Swiss watch industry.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The original Apple Watch didn’t outsell Swiss watches. There was only a rumor that internally Apple was confident the Apple Watch will beat Swiss watch industry.
The original Apple Watch was pretty poor and lacking in compatible apps at the time which meant it lacked appeal in its early phase. The Swiss watch industry is quite small compared to the Japanese, so it wasn’t a completely illogical benchmark for Apple to beat. It’s a bit like Kia claiming they’ll outsell the Italian luxury car industry, of course they did lol.

Reactions: Duncan68

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The original Apple Watch didn’t outsell Swiss watches.
Your post is rather vague and doesn’t provide any statistical data whatsoever. Tim Cook stated during a keynote years ago that the Apple Watch specifically “Was the number one watch in the world” (Which actually shows a graph below highlighting the Apple Watch over other mechanical watches), which we can assume that he’s referring to the Apple Watch outselling the mechanical watches due to its growth during that time frame [Which the growth rate was over 50% at _that_ time frame], even though he didn’t provide a specific number.

301FA3B2-A20D-4C69-B5A5-35E8644CFA8E.png

There was only a rumor that internally Apple was confident the Apple Watch will beat Swiss watch industry.
Tim Cook never use the word ‘beat’, you just interjected that yourself. Also, Do you think Tim Cook would comment on anything of any evidentiary nature to investors if it wasn’t accurate? It’s obvious what he was referring to, and I would suggest go back and rewatch that keynote specifically and other keynotes for that matter, on his comments to investors.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
im sure Guess, Michael Kors etc watches outsell Swiss watch market, but they dont beat the swiss watch ever.

swiss watches and apple watch are entire for differend people althought some swiss watch makers does good-looking smart watches too. choosing to wear my apple watch or some of my automatic watches only, there is no question which one. apple watch is a fun and quite useful toy - but still a toy.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Tim Cook stated during a keynote years ago that the Apple Watch specifically “Was the number one watch in the world”
That show Apple Watch outsold *some* Swiss watch brands. The article cited on the original post talking about the “entire” Swiss Watch industry.

Tim Cook never use the word ‘beat’, you just interjected that yourself.
Correct. the words used was only “f__ed”

3607ED36-0AF8-44DF-8720-0B458EB03DFB.jpeg

- - Post merged: - -

The original Apple Watch was pretty poor and lacking in compatible apps at the time which meant it lacked appeal in its early phase. The Swiss watch industry is quite small compared to the Japanese, so it wasn’t a completely illogical benchmark for Apple to beat. It’s a bit like Kia claiming they’ll outsell the Italian luxury car industry, of course they did lol.
I‘m not quite sure what your point is. I’m just stating the fact that the original Apple Watch didn’t outsell the entire Swiss watch altogether, or I believe neither Series 1 and 2. Are you saying I’m wrong? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

the future

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2002
The comparison is not so „apples and oranges“ as some try to claim here. The „Swiss Watch industry“ doesnˋt sell luxury watches only. In the linked article, the ASP of swiss watches is quoted as being 1.000 $, so there must be a lot of relatively cheap and midrange watches in the mix. These watches are neither real status symbols nor heritage pieces and of course offer nowhere near the functionality of the Apple Watch. So I guess sales of these kinds of watches are declining and will decline further. Really expensive, luxury mechanical watches will probably be in less trouble, although at some point even collectors might start to question the worth of collecting items they don‘t really wear very often anymore.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The comparison is not so „apples and oranges“ as some try to claim here. The „Swiss Watch industry“ doesnˋt sell luxury watches only. In the linked article, the ASP of swiss watches is quoted as being 1.000 $, so there must be a lot of relatively cheap and midrange watches in the mix. These watches are neither real status symbols nor heritage pieces and of course offer nowhere near the functionality of the Apple Watch. So I guess sales of these kinds of watches are declining and will decline further. Really expensive, luxury mechanical watches will probably be in less trouble, although at some point even collectors might start to question the worth of collecting items they don‘t really wear very often anymore.
Then again some of the smaller midrange Swiss manufacturers are starting to boom now due to smart watches opening up the market to people who never wore watches previously but now have an interest. A lot of consumers own Apple watches and mechanicals so not every smartwatch sale is blocking the purchase of a Swiss watch.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I have to say that when I first got my Apple Watch in 2015, I enjoyed the fact that pretty much nobody else wore one so it was a bit different. Now it's so common it's kind of boring. I still wear mine for the utility, but I'd prefer to wear even a novel looking G-Shock sometimes.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Interesting. Do you have a source for this?
Last year, unit exports of mechanical watches rose 3.9% to 7.52 million pieces. Mechanical watches are the Swiss industry's bread and butter; they account for 82% of watch exports in value and 32% in units.

Looking Back, Looking Ahead
The bulk of Swiss watch production, however, consists of quartz watches, almost all analog quartz. Switzerland's quartz watch production has declined every year since 2011.

Last year, quartz watches fell again, down 5% in units to 16.21 million pieces. Since 2011, quartz watch exports have declined 31%.

Last year, total watch exports in units dropped to 23.74 million pieces. "This was 570,000 fewer timepieces than in 2017," the FH said.

The vast majority of those were low-priced quartz analog watches (i.e., with an export price below CHF500), according to the FH. Quartz watches now account for 68% of exports by units, 28% by value.
1581910018382.jpeg

The Swiss Watch industry still hasn’t recovered to the level before 2015 downturn, both on mechanical and quartz watches.

Reactions: the future

BSG75

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
IMO, the biggest impact will be felt in the Swiss watch industry at the lower price points among the bigger manufacturers like Swatch, which includes Tissot and Hamilton. Seiko will also be affected. In fact, Seiko is starting to move upmarket as are upper mid-level brands such as Rolex. I believe that high horology is safe for now, which includes PP, AP and VC as well as Lange, to name a few.

Microbrands, such as Steinhart, are growing because they can rely on existing parts and movements. Many use Swiss ETA or Japanese Sekio/Miyota movements. They also have very small staffs. Some micorbrands are only one or two people, so the overhead is low. Many also sell directly via e-commerce, cutting out the resellers. Full disclosure, I own two Steinharts and they are excellent watches at their price points.

The Swiss are looking to maintain their profit margins, which is what is most important. I believe many are starting to do that by moving prices upmarket while selling fewer watches. All they have to do is make the product scarce to create demand. People want what they can't have. The current Rolex situation is a perfect example of this.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2011
USA
its all about the age generation. The older generation will value their Rolex and Swiss watches as it does what they need. tell time and look good too. Rolex Daytona is still the best IMO. The younger generation will adopt the Apple Watch and others as it does more then just tell time. which is convenient.

edhchoe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
im sure Guess, Michael Kors etc watches outsell Swiss watch market, but they dont beat the swiss watch ever.

swiss watches and apple watch are entire for differend people althought some swiss watch makers does good-looking smart watches too. choosing to wear my apple watch or some of my automatic watches only, there is no question which one. apple watch is a fun and quite useful toy - but still a toy.
I used to wear Speedmaster, Submariner, Seamaster, Tangente, Orion, Datejust, OP, and North flag to name a few.
Not any longer. Apple watch is what I wear 365 days a year.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I used to wear Speedmaster, Submariner, Seamaster, Tangente, Orion, Datejust, OP, and North flag to name a few.
Not any longer. Apple watch is what I wear 365 days a year.
I can’t say I agree with this, mainly because I think the Apple Watch is one of those wearables that can be worn all the time, but there’s definitely a place for mechanical watches where I don’t want wear my Apple Watch ‘365’. I admit, a lot of my mechanical watches have been put aside, [the last time I probably wore one was around Christmas], but all together, I would never prioritize an Apple Watch over my mechanical watches in terms of value/long-term commitment. But then again, we’re really comparing two different genres of technology v.s. Craftsmanship.

DukeSilver79

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
I own one luxury swiss watch that I love the look of, but the Apple Watch just does too many other things well that I now rely on. I keep it, but I've often thought about selling it.