Apple Watch Owners Challenged to Earn Thanksgiving Day Activity Achievement

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 21, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is celebrating Thanksgiving this year by urging U.S. Apple Watch owners to bag a special achievement by recording a minimum walking or running distance on Thursday, November 24.

[​IMG]

Available through the Activity app this morning, the Thanksgiving Day Challenge is the first activity challenge of its kind from Apple, and includes a share-able Messages app sticker as an enticement to get out and get moving.

To earn the achievement, Apple Watch wearers must record an Apple Watch Workout distance of 5K (3.1 miles) on the day in question, using Apple's Workout app or any third-party app that syncs with HealthKit.

An Apple Watch user's history of achievements can be viewed any time via the Achievements tab on the iOS Activity app.

(Thanks, Dan!)

Article Link: Apple Watch Owners Challenged to Earn Thanksgiving Day Activity Achievement

2. Max Portakabin Suspended

3. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Nothing says "Thanksgiving Day celebration" quite like spending a 3.1 mile run away from the family.

4. OldSchoolMacGuy, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

5. 2457282 Suspended

Do you mean "running away from the family?"

:D:p:cool:

6. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

We have a tradition of a bunch of the family getting together in the morning for a Turkey Trot race. It's a fun time and a great way to start the day that is otherwise a health disaster with the food and sitting around.

edit: forgot the main point. I'm excited to get the medal.

7. ccrunner_tj macrumors member

ccrunner_tj

This is really fitting, seeing as a lot of places have 5K/10K runs on Thanksgiving. I've done a 5K every year for the past several! Great way to eliminate the guilt of having too much for dinner :)

8. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Or....the family can go for a hike together?

9. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Nah.... they can wait at the house...

10. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Indeed (but 5km is not a 'hike' - more like a walk).

11. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I signed up for the 10k Turkey Trot, so I'm all set.

12. caipirina08 macrumors member

hmm .. i hope they will have events like this for non US people soon!

13. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

A 3 mile run takes less than 30 minutes. You can do that in the morning 6:30 - 7:00 before breakfast. It's not a big deal if you're trying to live a healthy life.

14. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I'm really hoping that the achievement is available to all, I might not celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, but I do like the badges and being motivated to get out and about!

15. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Given today's retched political climate I can see it being the only thing to maintain sanity...

I would dread spending the holidays with my family.

16. michaelant macrumors regular

michaelant

I'm sure I will walk more than 3 miles that day, but it won't be a "Workout". I wonder if I'll get the achievement.

17. dBeats macrumors 6502a

dBeats

I was hoping more for the 5k (calories) achievement on Thanksgiving! Good on Apple to start doing this, they should come up with more shared experience goals. I'm just too lazy to get this particular one.

18. iTeachMath macrumors regular

Challenge accepted. I can easily walk 5K between the dinner table, couch, dry bar and bathroom.

19. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Haha yeah, I'm not knocking the achievement per se. I'm definitely going to give it a shot. I'm just salty that it's going to be <35 degrees Fahrenheit and raining/snowing on Thursday where I live, so then I looked and my gym isn't open because it's Thanksgiving.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 21, 2016 ---
    Yeah I'm curious if it has to be one continuous workout and if it has to be specified as a workout or if the walking throughout the day works towards a cumulative goal.

20. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

I'll give my watch a special achievement sticker if it can last more than 80 minutes in activity mode without the battery dying.

21. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Aimed at the younger generation which a large majority of expect a pat on the back any time they do something.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

That's why you make it a family activity.

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Your watch sounds like it's faulty. I use mine for monitoring 3-4 hour mountain bike rides and it's nowhere near dead at the end of the ride.

24. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

There's definitely something wrong with my software. I usually get the low battery warning after my 80-90 minute run in the morning. However, when I put the watch on the charger the battery percentage jumps up to 75-85%, which is where it usually is after a workout. Otherwise the battery and watch work flawlessly. This started after installing watchOS 3.1.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Because you're looking at this article short sighted with a snide remark. It has nothing to do with a "Sticker." It has everything to do with motivating and challenging the individual to push themselves to a goal. This is what the Apple Watch was intended to do.