Apple Watch Psychology

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bunnicula, Mar 27, 2015.

1. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

There have been a dozen or so threads on the various watch models and the how and why of things like:

1) Pricing of the Edition model: that's a biggie all around, because it takes this one and makes it out of the range of the reasonable for most buyers (some of whom would purchase the watch because they like the look of it from a fashion perspective)

2) Deliberate packaging of the Space Black SS with the black link bracelet, making it more expensive by default than the regular SS model (and leaving buyers wondering what sort of band options they'll have because all the bands that have metal hardware other than the Link have regular SS hardware)

3) Deliberate packaging of the Space Gray Sport with black band, causing the buyer to have to purchase a black band separately if they want it on their regular aluminum-body Sport model and it leaves people who want Space Gray with no choice but black (same issue with hardware match on bands as Space Black SS watch)

The Edition no doubt gets the most attention with regard to its pricing scheme and attempts at "exclusivity" for the buyer, but it is my opinion that Apple has set apart a "poor man's exclusivity" in each of the watch categories.

We don't get it often here on MR, but I suppose there are a good many people out there who think that the purchase of the Space Black Link Watch will impress their friends because they'll all know that it is ONLY available at a 1K price point regardless of what other bands may eventually show up that will also work with the Space Black SS model. No matter how you look at it, the cost of entry with the Space Black SS model is about twice as high as the cost of entry with the regular SS model.

With the Sport series, though they are the same price, going for the Space Gray guarantees you that you'll get to have a black band (if white and bright colors aren't your thing) AND that you'll likely have people seeing that watch at a glance and not realizing it's the Sport and thinking you've got the Space Black Watch. There's also going to be a group of people who really want the regular aluminum watch that will have to pay for an extra band to get the black... and does it even come with regular aluminum hardware in black? ;)

There IS some psychology at work with the pairings of the bands and the initial configurations.

It will be very interesting to see how Apple expands band offerings in the future.

Point being... Apple is counting on people wanting to make some sort of impression with these watches.

I've been on MR quite some time. I've seen people post about being "seen" carrying a certain color or model of iPhone. I've seen the back and forth over whether or not gold is a manly color, etc etc etc.

We are a small community, in the grand scheme. It will be VERY interesting to see what happens in the general public with this watch.

And you will see every variety of this watch. Some less often than others. And believe me, you will find it interesting (if you are at all interested in other humans) the first time you see someone wearing an Edition. Unless you live far from any sort of diverse city. You may never see one being worn in person unless you are on vacation, but you'll see celebrities wearing them. I would not be surprised to see these hit the Oscars SWAG bag next year.

Me, I just like new tech gadgets and I appreciate the care that Apple puts into their gadgets. I'm an Apple geek like most of you who post here regularly, and this new product line is such a huge unknown. Who knows where it will or will not go?

My questions to you...

If you're buying Apple Watch, what made you choose the version you're planning to buy? Was it cost? Was it style? Was it a combo of both?

If the Edition was closer in price to the Watch series, would you be buying one of them? (the amount has been hashed over and is irrelevant... let's just assume it's close enough that most people wouldn't find it a leap over the SS models).

If you could get a band besides the Link with the Space Black, would it be your first choice? (assuming it isn't already)... are you buying another style of watch because of the Space Black/Link band pairing?

Are you disappointed that you cannot get a black band with the regular aluminum Sport watch? (if that's the one you wanted)... has the band choice changed your choice of watch?

TL;DR
    What made you choose the watch/watches you're considering so far?

I always wanted the SS Watch.

I liked the look of the rose gold Edition, but from the moment I first saw it, I knew it would be fairly expensive. I also knew that I'm not the type to wear a watch, so this might be something I put down in 6 months, and I figured I should keep the cost modest and be sure to choose a watch that went with pretty much everything to increase the odds that I'd wear it regularly.

This brought the SS Watch into play. I knew I needed sapphire, or I'd bang it up pretty bad, because I'm not used to wearing a watch. That ruled out the Sport.

I'm still undecided on the band, but I have it narrowed down to Modern Buckle (not sure which color yet) or Milanese loop. Modern Buckle has a slight edge, but I always think about it getting wet and start thinking Milanese is a safer choice... Milanese is also less expensive. I do think of that factor, too.

I'll just mull it over during the next couple of weeks, then the night of preorders, I'll grab the one that I'm leaning toward, then try on both in the store and I'll change my order if I need to. :)

What's the psychology behind your choice?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Even your TL;DR is TL

I like gadgets, Apple Watch is a new Gadget, so I am getting it because its a new. I'm a sucker for a first gen product of any company if the gadget looks enticing and I have a way to fit it in my lifestyle.

Originally planned to get Space Grey sports model but to me the $200 upgrade to have Sapphire is a justifiable upgrade.

3. Ries macrumors 68000

The watch does nothing for me in its current form.

Get a call, pull phone out, im not using a speaker and definitely not in public.
    Get a text, pull phone to type the answer (Girls do like 1000 words a second on a phone)
    Notifications of others sort, stop ****ing bugging me. (text are two vibrations, anything else i check when i feel like it)
    Read something/web/reddit pull out phone, im not scrolling on a post stamp.
    Ask SIRI? Can do that on my phone within reach. In public? Yeah right...
    Fitness, there are way better options out there than an apple watch.

Basically all it would do for me is "hey, you got something, pull out the phone"

4. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I always forget the average attention span is growing shorter every passing day.

I think you and I are basically on the same page, however. ;)

----------

Your psychology is the "I don't need one of those" group. I didn't mention that because I was asking people why they were buying it not why they weren't.

I'm not sure there are WAY BETTER fitness options than Apple Watch. There are, however, far cheaper ones for people who don't care for the other features. I agree with that.

5. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

So - not getting one. Gotcha. Psychology aside, many people see a benefit to the Apple Watch. Others may just want the latest gadget and are in a financial position to justify it.

C'est la vie.

6. Ries macrumors 68000

The one person I know getting one, is because he can combine is steel watch with a simple fitness tracker into one. Though im not sure he knows it won't track his sleep.

7. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I tracked my sleep for ages with my UP band. I am not sure it really told me anything I didn't already know.

It's interesting when you first start doing it, though. I would just buy a comfy sleep tracker if I wanted one, because I cannot imagine sleeping in a wristwatch. I think my wrists would freak out.

8. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

Personally feel Apple watch is there not as the main product, but as something that sell bands.

what I mean is the Watch Sport probably only have 20% profit margin. so Apple is trying to make the profit back from selling bands.

if too many people just stick with Watch Sport and sport band, Apple's profit margin will drop in next quarterly report

9. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think you are onto something with this. I think that's why there are so many initial configurations of the SS Watch that include both sport and dressier bands. It is intended to be seen as more of a "mix and match and buy more bands" type of watch. And it also costs more money.

The Sport is the offering that keeps them from alienating everyone who isn't quite ready to commit more than a few hundred dollars initially, but still want to try the Apple Watch.

The Edition has a limited number of band offerings because the watch itself is priced so high they don't need to sell any more bands to go with it.

I think Apple are really counting on the middle-of-the-road buy... the SS Watch series and the many bands that match them.

10. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

I'm going with the space black because honestly it's just the one I like the best. I actually kind of have an incentive to get the regular SS because of the better band selection but I just really like that black and I really liked the link band. I also tend to gravitate to black car interiors shoes and jackets so it will fit in well. I guess it's pricier but I could re use the link bracelet if I ever upgrade the watch so I don't mind too much. overall I don't think that's a bad price for a nice looking watch and the fact that I'll likely have to upgrade it is offset by the fact that I'll be able to re-use half the cost. Honestly though kind of depends how they really look in person I could be swung to SS if I like the look in person but so far it's been space black and going back and forth on what size I will get.

11. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Well I'll participate even though I'm not sure if I'll buy one, or which one I'd get. My main problem is that many appeal to me, but I only want to buy one. I like the way the silver aluminum looks with the white or blue band. I also really like the space grey. Probably the best option would be the Watch for more versatility, but I'm not really sure if the extra cost ìs with it to me. I wouldn't get the space black because it's too much and I don't really like metal bracelets. My favorite bands are the Sport ones, but the Watch would allow me to have something more professional if I choose to later.

I would definitely consider the Edition if it was just gold plated. I think its beautiful- both the rose gold on white, and the yellow gold on black. Realistically I probably wouldn't buy it because it wouldn't be good as my every day watch. Would be good as a second one.

I'm not at all disappointed that the space black comes only with the link. I accepted it as given and moved on. If anything, I'm happy with it. If you could get the space black on a sport band, my choice would be even harder.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow. I agree with Karnicopia. On April 10, I will order a 42mm Watch with Space Black Stainless Steel Case and Space Black Stainless Steel Link Bracelet. I will buy it because this is the Watch that I like best.

I am grown man. All of my friends and colleagues are also adults. None of them have ever paid the slightest bit of attention to the watch that I was wearing. I don't approach them to show-off my latest watch.

And you know what? I don't give a hoot which watch any of my friends or colleagues are wearing. You and your little friends may make your purchasing decisions based on what you think will impress each other. However, give the rest of us credit for being adults.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Sometimes you have to be willing to pay extra for what you want.

Cable companies for example will strategically place certain channels in separate tiers forcing you to pay for 2 tiers to get 2 specific channels you want.

Apple is doing the same thing. They are offering the watches in many different configurations but if you HAVE to have the sport watch with black band it's going to cost you. Same applies to the SB SS version.

For me I'm getting the SS with Milanese loop.

14. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Where did you get the idea that I care what someone thinks of my watch? I said I got the idea that people on here seem to sometimes be really into image and so forth. I don't give the slightest damn either way. I'm buying one because I'm an early adopter and have been since the G3, come to think of it.

My "little friends" are my kids. And the youngest of them is 14. ;)

Granted, I may be known for my childlike whimsy, but I am also known for my reading comprehension skills.

----------

Thank you, Armen. You got at exactly the psychology angle I was thinking of when I wrote my original post.

For example, if I wanted a Black SS watch, I'd be annoyed at the Link pairing. I'm a woman and it looks rather mannish to me. If I REALLY wanted it? I'd buy Black and get another band ASAP.

Fortunately for me, I wanted regular SS. All of my watches tend to be plain SS. I prefer the look.

I'm seriously considering that Milanese loop. I'm just afraid I'd sit around and tinker with the closure all day. I fidget.

----------

I love a black interior on a vehicle. I'm with you there. I might've gone Black SS if it were simple (more bands). But, I dunno. The regular SS is quite shiny. I like shiny.

That Black will look very sharp. Especially on a man, I think. :)

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's marketing not psychology.

The Milanese loop closure is magnetic and has a notch in the end of it to insert a finger nail. From this some of us are gathering that the magnets must be strong (which is a good thing) but not sure how "tinkerable" it is :)

16. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

You should go try them in store. I bet it would solidify your choice, even if the choice was not to buy. :)

17. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm in marketing. Marketing is almost entirely psychology. ;)

If a thing can be tinkered, I'll fidget with it. LOL.

I am going to have to try one on before I know for sure. I used to own a watch that I loved with a thin, mesh band. Hence, my leaning.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm ordering the SS with Milanese loop blindly. I hope I like it. The following picture made me feel more confident. (I think its beautiful)

[​IMG]

19. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

Yep that's actually the hardest part is the stainless has some great bands but I think the link and sport will keep me covered. The link really seemed to speak to me though I just knew that's the one I wanted. Really like how that Milanese loop looks though. I'll be missing that one eventually I may get a leather loop but I'll probably hold off until fall to see if they come out with more bands. I'm kind of hoping for a black Milanese but if not maybe black leather loop. For a while though the link and sport should keep me covered. We'll see though I do like the look of the stainless so it really comes down to how they look in person.

20. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

The Milanese in black would be quite foxy. I know a guy that's going for the black SS and he's thinking Sport and leather loop, too. I think waiting until more bands are out is smart. They've already made it clear that they plan to intro more styles soon.

----------

I love how the Milanese looks like metal cloth. That's a nice pic of it.

21. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Yes(ish).

http://www.apple.com/s/aR4U1u6k4h

The hardware on the sport bands are all stainless steel. So if you wanted an silver toned Sport with a black band you'd just order the same black sport band that someone would if they had the Apple Watch version. In case there's any confusion, note that the blue, pink and green versions of the sport band also have a stainless steel pin.

I know that this is the answer to one very minor point in a very long post, but you asked the question.

22. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I changed my mind endlessly in the first week or so. I was certain to get one, but not at all certain which one. I drove myself a little crazy thinking about it and analysing the disappointingly few photographs and videos of the real thing.

But for the last week or so I'm been firm on the SS with black sports band.

Why? Partly these forums. I was discussing my thoughts in a thread and said I was settling towards the Sports. Someone posted "One word: sapphire". And that had a big impression on me.

The SS also has far more strap possibilities. I'll see how the black sports band looks/feels. If I hate it, I'll look at the Milanese loop, leather loop and classic buckle. (I'm too much of a fanboy to consider non-Apple straps.)

It feels "urgent" to me to get the watch ASAP, but getting the strap right seems less important.

When the watches were first announced in September, I saw the gold Edition with midnight blue strap and thought, "Yup. I'm getting that one. I don't care how much it costs. Even if it's $1,000 I'm getting it."

23. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Wow! The band connector is wider than the watch! Hope that's a fluke on a pre-production unit..

24. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Thanks. I'm not really interested in the sport bands (they'd make my wrist hot) so I didn't realize the hardware was SS. :)

----------

I wasn't looking at the connector, but I see it now. I hope they fixed that.

----------

I agree. Getting the watch with whatever strap seems like it would work initially is totally fine with me.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I just noticed something peculiar about that photograph:

milanese.jpg

Whereas on the Apple website:

milanese-apple.png

Is it possible it's the wrong size (42mm band on a 38mm?)

Or just really imprecise pre-production parts?