Apple Watch Questions (New User!)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dino F, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Dino F, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

I've just bought a 42mm Sports Edition Apple Watch and have a few question!!

1. When the watch is in Nightstand mode, is it possible to change the green time digits to a different colour as I can't see any options for this?

2. When choosing to show the Activity circles on various watch faces, the circles only appear in the colour you have selected for that watch face. Is there an option to have the circles in the 3 colours of the activities i.e. Have each of the circles on the watch faces in their respective colours of green, red and blue?

3. I had some sport notifications come through on my iPhone 6 (was getting the football results of a game) and these did indeed show up on my Apple Watch. However, dismissing them on my watch did NOT dismiss them from the screen of my phone - the same notification still displayed on my phone. Is this how it's supposed to work? I thought that dismissing a notification on the watch would clear it from the phone, but this did not work with the sports notifications (BBC Sport app)?

Thanks in advance.

2. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

1. No, I don't think so.

2. The only faces that support that are Utility, and Modular multicolor.

3. It should've been dismissed from both.

3. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Nightstand mode is green. There are no options. (I love Nightstand mode.)

As Sflomenb said, only a couple watch faces currently support multicolor. I like Modular myself.

Notifications usually clear on the iPhone if you dismiss them on the Watch, but it's not instantaneous. It may also depend on the app. My Washington Post notifications definitely clear on the phone.

4. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

.....I didn't initially spot the multicolour option for Modular so thanks for pointing that out.

As for the notification not clearing - it was the BBC Sport app which was giving the notification. I have the app on my iPhone however there is no Apple Watch app for this. Perhaps that was the reason that when I dismissed the notifications from the watch, the same notification would remain on the screen of my phone?!

5. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

6. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...ok, thanks. I guess that is why when I dismissed the notification, it did not dismiss from the phone.

I guess when you dismiss notifications from the watch, they ONLY get dismissed if you have the relevant watch app as well (I earlier dismissed some twitter notifications, well, tweetbot actually, and they also got dismissed from the phone as well - purely because it has a watch app).

Thanks for clarifying.

7. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I see you got the watch then!

Regretting it or loving it? :p

8. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...its awesome!!!!!

Coming from using a Pebble Time Steel (where all you can do is dismiss stuff, on iOS!) - its like a breath of fresh air actually being able to action notifications!!! Loving the screen and the many watch faces too!

Another quick question: whats the done thing regarding the 'Raise to Wake' feature?

As I sit in front of a pc all day at work, I am constantly typing away at my keyboard so figured that disabling this, would stop the watch lighting up the screen every time I move my wrist when typing! I don't need to see the time whilst sat at my desk!!!

9. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I guess you could turn it off, but then you'd need to remember to turn it on alter after you have finished work.

Otherwise when you raise your watch you'll need to tap the screen.

10. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

What do people do about charging their watches? Do you charge it every night no matter how much battery percentage is left on the watch?

Only reason I ask is that, I put on my watch this morning at around 7am (battery was 100%). Its now 12:45pm and my watch is showing a battery percent of 94% (I have the 'Raise to Wake' feature turned off so my watch doesn't light up at every wrist movement). I reckon I will easily get through the rest of the day with a battery percent of above 50!

When I get home later at around 6pm, I'll be taking my watch off - is it worth putting it back on the charger if the battery is still well over 50% or should I wear it tomorrow as well and charge it tomorrow night?

11. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Depends when I work out I normally charge it that night, as a day time use and the workout will ware it down to 20-30%.

If it's over 50% I'll just turn power reserve mode on for the night, then charge the next night.

12. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...what does the power reserve function actually do then, as I may end up doing the same tonight if my watch is showing well over 50%?

13. Blujelly, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Basically shuts every feature down, and the only thing that shows is a green digital clock, raise to wake isn't on or anything. Only shows the time when you press the side button (I think :S)

14. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I change my Watch and iPhone every night regardless of charge. Charge MacBook Air and iPad whenever they need to be.

15. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

Another few questions!!

I have the 'Raise to Wake' feature currently turned off.

1. It seems that whenever I get a notification from an app, it will light up the screen - which is fine, however, if I get an Activity notification (like to stand up or another activity related one), although the watch will vibrate, it does NOT light up the screen? Is this how its supposed to work?!

2. I just received a phone call (I answered it on my phone) and although the watch was vibrating (in a "ring ring" pattern), the screen did not light up? Again - is this correct? I would have thought that the screen should have lit up showing me the caller?

3. Just an observation - I realized last night that the only way to get the Apple Watch out of 'Power Reserve' mode, is to turn it off, and turn it back on again?! Surely Apple could have implemented an option to just turn 'Power Reserve' off again?!

16. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

1. It seems that whenever I get a notification from an app, it will light up the screen - which is fine, however, if I get an Activity notification (like to stand up or another activity related one), although the watch will vibrate, it does NOT light up the screen? Is this how its supposed to work?!

To be honest I don't have 'raise to wake' off the only thing I can think off is maybe testing it. So turn 'raise to wake' on and see if you get the activity notifications. I wouldn't have thought it wouldn't light up as its not a major notification like the others you'd get.

2. I just received a phone call (I answered it on my phone) and although the watch was vibrating (in a "ring ring" pattern), the screen did not light up? Again - is this correct? I would have thought that the screen should have lit up showing me the caller?

My only option would be to turn it on and call yourself see what happens, again not much help I would have thought it wouldn't. Have you made sure the phone settings on the Apple Watch app state mirror iPhone?

3. Just an observation - I realized last night that the only way to get the Apple Watch out of 'Power Reserve' mode, is to turn it off, and turn it back on again?! Surely Apple could have implemented an option to just turn 'Power Reserve' off again?!

Bottom button hold until power reserve mode is activated - to de-activate power reserve mode, and get the AW back to normal functions, hold the bottom button again until Apple logo appears.

17. Dino F, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...cheers for that @Blujelly - will do some testing tonight!!

;)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2016 ---

..I just realized that what I wrote here is incorrect :oops:

When 'Raise to Wake' is turned off and a notification comes to the watch - it does NOT turn on the screen. It only vibrates - I have just received 2 notifications from tweetbot and neither turned on the screen of my watch. This means that with this feature turned on, the only thing which will light up the screen is when I tap the screen itself!

EDIT - Just spoke to Apple Support and they also confirmed that this is indeed how its supposed to work - when 'Raise to Wake' is disabled, notifications will NOT light up the screen. The watch will only vibrate.

18. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

I'm getting a little frustrated with notifications on my watch :(

I am finding that I am missing almost every single one?! The vibrations/haptic feedback on the watch is just not strong at all?! Its when I am walking about with hands in my coat pocket - I just do not feel the watch vibrate when a notification comes in?! On my Pebble Time Steel, it had a really strong vibration so I could feel every single one however, on my Apple watch, I am missing almost every single one :confused:

Its set to the maximum strength within the settings so don't really know why this is happening???? I am just not finding it strong enough - I'm just not feeling the watch vibrate?

Are there any additional settings for this within Accessibility or somewhere else?!

19. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

The problem might be that you coming from another device that has a stronger vibrate, so you're comparing the AW to the Pebble.

You may find over time that you'll end up picking notifications from AW easier as you get use to the haptic touch and vibration, it just might take some time. There are no other settings for the vibration if there on the max.

20. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

..yea, I guess you could be right there! Perhaps I just need to get used to haptic feedback a little longer!

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Do you have the setting for Prominent Haptics switched on?

I don't personally like it but found that over time I've become much more sensitive to the regular haptics and can even tell the difference between different kinds of alerts just by feel. I don't catch 100% of them, but I get the vast majority and catch the rest of them pretty soon by seeing the red notification dot.

22. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...yep - I do indeed have the Prominent Haptic switched on. That kinda feels more like a click than the normal vibration, which just feels like a vibration!

What is the Prominent Haptic exactly?!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2016 ---
    ...you know what, I am pretty sure my watch is NOT vibrating for ANY notifications (I have everything turned on) - I just saw 2 notifications come in from Facebook, and I did not feel my watch vibrate at all (did not see it light up either).

However, just had a thought.....

I know that you can mute notifications by covering the screen with your hand for 3 seconds. As my watch is actually sitting underneath my jumper sleeve and the screen is already covered, could the notifications be muted before the watch even vibrates?! I can't understand how I can not feel any of the haptic feedback?!

23. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The prominent haptic feels more to me like the traditional vibration that most other watches use. I don't like it because I prefer the subtlety of the taps that the regular haptic uses.

There seem to be some notifications that do not trigger haptics for me, but I'm not 100% clear on why that is. All the ones I'm concerned about work as expected.

Having the watch under your sleeve should present no issue.

24. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...hmm. :confused:

I think I am gonna have to get my other half to send me some messages tonight so I can test the notifications out as I am 99% sure that I have felt NO vibrations on my wrist today - despite having received several notifications today (only spotted by the red dot on the screen) and all relevant settings are turned on.

Will report back.....

25. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...perhaps different notifications act differently - I just got an @mention from the tweetbot app and my watch did indeed vibrate, I felt it, and the screen lit up!