Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
None of these reviewers seem like the heavily involved fitness types. I see this watch being beneficial to people with an active lifestyle mostly. That's my decision to buy one and test it out. The other features are just bonuses for me. Not having my phone on me in the gym will be very nice.

Agreed and with the great reviews on the battery life, it's a great watch to me, but as you said, it might be best for active lifestyle people. And after reading the reviews and posts, it really isn't for most of the people who post here. Not even close...

I no longer have a use for any of my fitness trackers or even the phone with me when I run. The info will be stored. I don't even have to worry about wearing a watch anymore as this looks as good as my $200-$400 watches with the same thickness and width as the Apple Watch.

I'm very impressed and was still on the fence until I read this common review...

Quote:
"After more than a week of daily use, Apple Watch has more than alleviated any concerns I had about getting through a day on a single charge. I noted the remaining charge when I went to bed each night. It was usually still in the 30s or 40s. Once it was still over 50 percent charged. Once, it was down to 27. And one day -- last Thursday -- it was all the way down to 5 percent. But that day was an exception -- I used the watch for an extraordinary amount of testing, nothing at all resembling typical usage. I'm surprised the watch had any remaining charge at all that day. I never once charged the watch other than while I slept."

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I think the reviews are pretty GOOD for the Apple Watch, but pretty BAD for the smart watch category as a whole. All reviewers agree that, while Apple Watch is the best smart watch in the market, smart watches are still pretty much a gimmick that's trying to find its purpose.

Thus the "it's a solution trying to find its problem" quote.

I know what features I want: look really nice, fitness tracking, and long battery life. So far I can't get all 3. Some smart watches come really close, but at these prices close isn't good enough.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Here's another review from Australia.

I personally can't wait for it. A lot of the complaints from these reviews were directed at the usefulness of smartwatches itself. I already know that they are useful for me, so if this is the best smartwatch out there as seems to be the consensus, then I'm happy. I don't need it to change my life.

I now want the watch based on the reviews and Apple saying they have well over 1000 apps already developed. If 10% are great, it is already a life changer to me. The SS Apple Watch is worth about $400 to me just on craftsmanship and look and the reviews say "it looks better in person". :)

I'm going to buy the SS with the sport band and then buy a couple of the $150 bands so I have one for my workouts and two for professional and business casual.

I'm going to love the watch for golfing. Never having to find my phone in my bag and being a disruption. Love it...

----------

iPhone 4 - no iOS upgrades.
iPhone 4S - is next in line. It, the iPod touch 5th gen, iPad 2 and AppleTV all run on dual core A5 chips, all with 512MB of RAM, which is barely adequate for iOS8.3. I won't be surprised if iOS9 will drop these devices.

iPhone 5 I'll venture may be next year.

OK, thank you for agreeing with me. I agree maybe 4-5 years the Apple Watch will be obsolete but it will still work with my iPhone 6+ and look very nice. I will still say "maybe" and IMO.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I know what features I want: look really nice, fitness tracking, and long battery life. So far I can't get all 3. Some smart watches come really close, but at these prices close isn't good enough.

How are they close, even the monstruous 58mm Gear, lasts 16h with typical use (as per Samsung). None really are a home run on battery life, so battery life should removed from consideration unless you really think comparing a 58mm watch which can't calculate your heartbeat as you exercise somehow in the running!!

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
What makes me laugh is when people say looking at the watch is more discrete !

If I were in a meeting and someone started looking at the watch I would be annoyed they were getting bored and wanted to go...
/QUOTE]

This is what intrigues me. I genuinely think that for me the watch will be more discrete. Especially as notifications can be made more granular. Right now when I'm in a meeting and my phone buzzes...well first of all a lot of us look at each other to see whose phone is buzzing...there is the pulling up of phones from purses, pockets etc. As we all become more used to and comfortable with wearable devices, I'm *hoping* a flick of the wrist and a quick cover with my hand will be easier than rummaging around in my EDC!

Mad Mac

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Apple knows this is a stinker.

Why do you think they've been hyping it so hard? No other Apple product has been hyped this hard. Pathetic really.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
What makes me laugh is when people say looking at the watch is more discrete !

If I were in a meeting and someone started looking at the watch I would be annoyed they were getting bored and wanted to go...

This is what intrigues me. I genuinely think that for me the watch will be more discrete. Especially as notifications can be made more granular. Right now when I'm in a meeting and my phone buzzes...well first of all a lot of us look at each other to see whose phone is buzzing...there is the pulling up of phones from purses, pockets etc. As we all become more used to and comfortable with wearable devices, I'm *hoping* a flick of the wrist and a quick cover with my hand will be easier than rummaging around in my EDC!

If you're in a meeting, put your phone on mute and silence your notifications for heaven's sake. Everyone will thank you.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

Why do you think they've been hyping it so hard? No other Apple product has been hyped this hard. Pathetic really.

Disagree. I don't think that is the case. The first iPhones, iPads, iPods all gone through similar process of "new product" advertisements aka hype (though it's far from over-hype like you mentioned).

Really, people need to put "IMHO" or "IMO" if they stated their opinion. It's not a fact that "Apple knows this is a stinker".

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Disagree. I don't think that is the case. The first iPhones, iPads, iPods all gone through similar process of "new product" advertisements aka hype (though it's far from over-hype like you mentioned).

Really, people need to put "IMHO" or "IMO" if they stated their opinion. It's not a fact that "Apple knows this is a stinker".

Everything on the internet comes with an implicit "IMHO" prefix. Didn't you read the manual. :)

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
If you're in a meeting, put your phone on mute and silence your notifications for heaven's sake. Everyone will thank you.

Yes that would be ideal. But you clearly don't work for the same company I do. That isn't always a viable option. Still...point taken.

Last edited:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
iPhone 4 - no iOS upgrades.
iPhone 4S - is next in line. It, the iPod touch 5th gen, iPad 2 and AppleTV all run on dual core A5 chips, all with 512MB of RAM, which is barely adequate for iOS8.3. I won't be surprised if iOS9 will drop these devices.

iPhone 5 I'll venture may be next year.

So, what. I'm still using my 3GS EVERY DAY. Man, I didn't know I should throw it out because it is on 6.1.6 (that some whiners have called slow as hell on the 3GS). I didn't even realize how much my idevice sucked... Man, how far have I fallen... (sic)

How many security upgrades do many top Android phone barely 18 months out of the factory get, despite bugs making them basically botnet fodder; pretty much zero. That's the real standard of obsoleteness, making something so unsecured that you have to upgrade to not be hacked!! At least Apple is not living "up" to that standard.

Unlike MS who got so bogged down in backward compatibility that its OS became a massive buggy unruly mess, eventually Apple decides that hey, then need to move on. Doesn't mean you old device is useless suddenly. Plenty of people still use 10 year old Ipods.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
\ Since my iDevice is out 50 times a day anyway, I can pretty much get almost everything the watch can deliver in those 50 times. I generally don't want to get texts or calls ASAP, nor are such texts of calls so urgent that I regret the delay in almost every single instance. So personally, I don't see it. But for those who do (which could be everybody other than me), I hope you enjoy your watch.

Good point. People are going to stop effing around with their phones? It seems like some primary anxiety release

----------

So no need for an iPad then?

iphone does not provide a large screen web browser and ereader. So the ipad
does what the phone does...better. The watch does what the phone does...worse.

crmcm

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I'm starting to realize how awkward it would be to sit across from someone with one of these for a meal or on a date, and watching the notifications go off the whole time. Instead of a phone that can be put away, or flipped over on the table, now the person would constantly be looking down at their watch every time it wakes up from a notification, and you would be able to see it as well. Imagine a restaurant full of people wearing apple watches.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Here is my only concern about the Apple Watch that most people haven't spoken about. I WILL not pay a yearly or even every other year 350 dollars for a new watch. I wonder how long Apple will support the first Apple Watch. I want a watch that I can literally use for 10-20 years like my Citizens.

Because no one is anticipating a mobile device with a decades long lifespan when the core tech has a half life of 6 months. Many will pay with the expectation of amortizing over 1-2 years. Its wasteful in a way.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
The fact is that they pushed out a groundbreaking product. Time will improve it and we will be sitting in a place like where we are with the iPhone. Not as monumental or groundbreaking but it will be a nice accessory in a few years without a doubt.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Yes. There is a clear correlation between the amount of hype and the uselessness of a product. You should focus next on finding a cure for cancer, because you seem to be some kind of superhuman genius.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Now I have no doubt iPoop would sell. The thread about the Apple Watch packaging in 7 pages long. 7 pages discussing the box it comes in. Wow. :D:D

Starting with Apple I, Jobs and now Apple have cared a great deal about the box the product comes in and people have always loved it.

All new Apple gadgets unboxing pictures have made news so far. If and when another tech company spends as much time and attention to the boxes their products are shipped in, those will make news as well.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I'm starting to realize how awkward it would be to sit across from someone with one of these for a meal or on a date, and watching the notifications go off the whole time. Instead of a phone that can be put away, or flipped over on the table, now the person would constantly be looking down at their watch every time it wakes up from a notification, and you would be able to see it as well. Imagine a restaurant full of people wearing apple watches.

The watch will "vibrate" every time a notification comes in, but the screen will not light up. It will only light up when the user lifts the watch up in an attempt to read the notification.
Personally, if it is rude to use my phone, it is rude to interact with my watch and I just won't do it. There's no reason why someone has to react to every single notification on a watch any more so than they would every notification on a phone. Just common sense that I hope people have.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

If it's a stinker then it won't sell and Apple will learn a valuable lesson and discontinue the product.

But I can see people buying this just because they like it as a watch and there's nothing wrong with that.

I haven't worn a watch for 20 years now and I'm not gonna start because of this product.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The fact is that they pushed out a groundbreaking product. Time will improve it and we will be sitting in a place like where we are with the iPhone. Not as monumental or groundbreaking but it will be a nice accessory in a few years without a doubt.

In what ways is it groundbreaking? Please elaborate.

crmcm

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
The watch will "vibrate" every time a notification comes in, but the screen will not light up. It will only light up when the user lifts the watch up in an attempt to read the notification.
Personally, if it is rude to use my phone, it is rude to interact with my watch and I just won't do it. There's no reason why someone has to react to every single notification on a watch any more so than they would every notification on a phone. Just common sense that I hope people have.

Maybe, but I think it's more likely that everyone that owns one of these will become classically conditioned to move their hand towards their face every time the watch buzzes.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I'm going to love the watch for golfing. Never having to find my phone in my bag and being a disruption. Love it...

----------

OK, thank you for agreeing with me. I agree maybe 4-5 years the Apple Watch will be obsolete but it will still work with my iPhone 6+ and look very nice. I will still say "maybe" and IMO.

You want a device that pokes your arm while you swing? If I was your competition, I'd call you every time you swing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.