Apple Watch Screen Issue/stain

Bram.96

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2015
Netherlands
Hey everyone,

I have this weird stain on my generation 0 Apple Watch SS.
As you can see on the picture, it spreads across the entire watch.
It is on the surface on the watch, because when i put some water on it, the water doesn't stick to the spot where this blemish is, it goes around it.
Could this be the oleophobic coating and if so, does anyone know how I can remove it? Has anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Looks like it could be the oleophobic coating. Just use isopropyl alcohol and a micro fiber. It will likely take a few times but it will remove it.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hey everyone,

I have this weird stain on my generation 0 Apple Watch SS.
As you can see on the picture, it spreads across the entire watch.
It is on the surface on the watch, because when i put some water on it, the water doesn't stick to the spot where this blemish is, it goes around it.
Could this be the oleophobic coating and if so, does anyone know how I can remove it? Has anyone else had this issue?
Is this the same stain from the thread you started back in April on your Apple Watch?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-watch-sapphire-wears-stain.2043156/

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Yes it is, but it has grown ever since. Although the conclusion in that thread was that there was probably some water under the display, as stated it is something in the surface.
Have you tried the microfiber cloth, warm water/isopropyl alcohol advice as the other member suggested?

Bram.96

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2015
Netherlands
Have you tried the microfiber cloth, warm water/isopropyl alcohol advice as the other member suggested?
I have tried the microfiber cloth with warm water, but that didn't seem to help. I've also tried some nail polish remover that my girlfriend had, but I'm not sure if that's the same substance as the alcohol. I have considered using something like a steel brush to see if that might help. Since it's sapphire, it shouldn't get scratched right?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I have tried the microfiber cloth with warm water, but that didn't seem to help. I have considered using something like a steel brush to see if that might help. Since it's sapphire, it shouldn't get scratched right?
Sapphire can scratch actually. But I would not suggest a steel brush at all not knowing the outcome of that method. I know you mentioned you don't have an Apple store near you, but I would suggest contacting Apple if you can and see what they determine.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes it is, but it has grown ever since. Although the conclusion in that thread was that there was probably some water under the display, as stated it is something in the surface.
It is clearly on the surface and not water in the watch. Even the smallest amount of water inside the watch will damage the screen. Be careful with the nail polish remover, it is acetone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.