Apple Watch Security

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by vikingjunior, Apr 13, 2015.

1. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I didn't see anything about "find my watch" "Remote wipe" or "Lock out". I bet if they don't implement something people are going to get jacked for their Apple watch. Something us NYC people think about.

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

No GPS in the watch.....

3. Wildgift macrumors 6502

No, but a lock out feature would be great. That could be done, right?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wifi iPads, iPods, MacBooks etc all have no gps chip. But can still be remote locked

5. Alith macrumors 6502

That definitely happens with the Apple Pay system. It detects when it is removed from your wrist and needs to be unlocked from the phone when you replace it.

6. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

A locked pairing to the iPhone should be doable (undoable of course by the user) - if out of contact properly the watch goes to 'stick it in the mail' mode.

If they jack your phone with the watch then there is already a solution of course.

The only question is how to securely unlock the Watch after remote wiping the iPhone or getting only the watch back. Some online component is obviously needed for this but I bet they have or will be thinking about this, they actually have good product managers and architects :)

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's a watch. It's secured to your wrist. If someone is going to go as far as to mug you for it there is nothing that can be done.

8. Sludgepond macrumors regular

Sludgepond

I wonder the same thing but I guess the watch really doesn't physically store any personal or sensitive data does it? And another thing: what prevents some ass-clown from manipulating your watch with the "Hey Siri" feature from a distance?

9. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

No, the iPhone was a big target. This is legitimate as their are ways to make the watch unuseable if implemented correctly and less of a target unless it's the gold one and sold to melt down.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

OK granted, but as long as they are in WiFi range. I guess we need to know what the watch can do "by itself" on the network.

11. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

If someone mugs you for your phone, there's not much that can be done. Except for stuff like find my iPhone and Activation lock....I really don't see why the Watch being attached makes a difference.

12. iamasmith, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Block pairing with another iPhone (unless unlocked by the real owner) and a configurable interval of no contact with the iPhone before it locks down..?

13. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I can live without the watch but I couldn't sleep knowing someone else is enjoying my watch.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

For starters you can't forget your watch somewhere unless you keep taking it off. secondly, it's much easier to snatch and run a phone from someone's hand than an attached watch that may be under a sleeve.

15. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I believe hey siri is only active when you bring your arm up as to watch the time

16. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

17. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Sure, if you are going for a 7 day run you could change the lockout timer to 8 days? :)

18. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Held up at gunpoint, "give me that watch." Seems somewhat easy. Obviously not everyone gets mugged, but it does happen. I really don't see why the Apple Watch shouldn't have the same security features as an iPhone.

19. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Does anyone know exactly how it locks? The rep during my try-on said it doesn't. This can't be the case or your watch could easily be used for apple pay by anyone if you were to lose it or something.

20. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

It may or may not, I've only suggestion possible options that could be done.

21. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

If not, there's no way I would ever allow Apple Pay on it, seems like a huge security risk. I'm certain it will be an option to turn off at least.

22. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

They already covered that, if it comes off your wrist (I'm assuming still with blood pumping through it) you need to enter a pin to reactivate Apple Pay.

23. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Ahh, good to know!

24. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

As far as watches go Apple watches really aren't that expensive. Used they will probably go for half retail. I really don't think there will be anything to worry about unless you are getting an edition or happen to come across one of us with June preorders lol. They would much more likely go after rolexes and those types of watches. I wouldn't leave it around charging or anything but I don't anticipate muggings. It would be cool if it couldn't be activated for any updates or changes unless released by the iPhone it was paired with.

25. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

Do you own an iPhone 6 with Apple Pay? I assume you'll be able to do the same with the watch as with the iPhone. You can log into iClould.com and disable Apple Pay for any device.

Also, from what I hear, once you take off the Apple Watch it needs to be authenticated again before Apple Pay will work. Could be entering a pin on the Watch or validating with your iPhone. I've heard different things.