Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today said that the Apple Watch saw its best quarter ever in Q1 2018, with the new Series 3 models selling at twice the volume of the Series 2 models last year. Apple Watch saw a 50% growth in units and revenue for the fourth consecutive quarter.

When combined with sales of Beats headphones and AirPods, total revenue from wearables was up almost 70 percent year-over-year.

apple-watch-edition-gray-ceramic-800x623.jpg

Apple's "Other" category, which includes Apple TV, Apple Watch, Beats, iPod, and Apple-branded and third-party accessories, was the major contributor to the company's revenue, bringing in $5.5 billion.

Apple says wearables, including the Apple Watch, the AirPods, and Beats, were the second largest contributor to revenue growth after the iPhone.

Last year, in Q1 2017, Apple's "Other" category was responsible for $4 billion in revenue, so overall revenue from that category was up $1.5 billion.

Article Link: Apple Watch Sees Best Quarter Ever With Series 3 Sales Up More Than 100% Compared to Series 2 Sales Last Year

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
LTE was a big enough change to entice people to buy. If everyone understood the difference in battery life compared to the older models they would upgrade just for that. I knew it was better but I went from a good part of the day to pretty much two days battery life. I have no complaints.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
LTE was a big enough change to entice people to buy. If everyone understood the difference in battery life compared to the older models they would upgrade just for that. I knew it was better but I went from a good part of the day to pretty much two days battery life. I have no complaints.

I get that battery performance on my Series 2... don't need a Series 3 for that.

Beherenow_uk

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2016

I have a Series 2 and I get two days. What’s to understand?

ggt

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
UK
They would have sold at least one more if they didn’t have an exclusivity deal with EE. I’m still rocking the original Apple Watch and I’m desperate for a new one - it’s really flagging now. But I’m not switching back to EE to get one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Battery life has improved for the Series 3, partially because of the improved faster dual core processor. But we all know the battery life is completely subjective based on Settings, usage etc. Someone that might be getting two days of battery life may not have the same battery life as someone depending on how they're using their Apple Watch throughout the day.

The Series 2 Apple Watch was a significant improvement in battery life over the first generation Apple Watch, but I would say battery life is comparable between the Series 2 and Series 3.

Dboggus

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2016

Must have had a series 0 like me. Battery lasts most of 1 day. Waiting for the next one to upgrade though as the watch just doesn’t do enough for me to justify spending that much on one every year or even every other.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Still nothing compared to what this thing will become in the next 5 years.

If one company is positioned to revolutionize health care, that’s Apple. And they sure have the will and the resources to do so. And boy, will they patent it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Must have had a series 0 like me. Battery lasts most of 1 day. Waiting for the next one to upgrade though as the watch just doesn’t do enough for me to justify spending that much on one every year or even every other.
I won’t spend that much every year but as it ages I will absolutely upgrade. The Apple Watch Series 3 is, by far, my favorite Apple device yet. It’s so much of a time saver for me. All those little interactions during the day really add up. What’s the weather tomorrow morning? What is that message I just got? What is that email I just got? Is for work or personal? What was on my To Do list? Not to mention how the alarm can wake me up silently on my wrist without disturbing my wife at o’dark 30. Plus it’s waterproof up to 50m. And that’s not even scratching the surface of what it can do. I LOVE this piece of tech.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I think the LTE version is also a big draw for runners. I know several of my friends bought AW3-LTE just to have an option of leaving your phone at home and not having to strap it to your arm or bouncing around in your pocket, being able to stream Apple Music, and never miss a call or text. They all swear by it and glad Apple did that with a LTE version.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I finally upgraded my SS-S0 this year as it developed a hairline crack and water got in. LTE isn’t much of a draw for non-runners, but it was the only option if you want SS so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Extremely happy with the upgrade however. The battery life is incredible, the responsiveness is incredible (especially since the last update), and I can use it for automatic sleep tracking.

And even though I’ve used it for Apple Pay for years now cashiers are still wowed by it pretty much every day.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Glad to see this, the watch is crucial for my job as I work mostly out of the office and rely on its notification feature a lot.

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Same. No LTE model here, but I’ve had it off the charger for 9.5 hours and I’m still at 80% My series 0 would be at 20% by now.

Apple's "Other" category, which includes Apple TV, Apple Watch, Beats, iPod, and Apple-branded and third-party accessories, was the major contributor to the company's revenue, bringing in $5.5 billion.
Apple’s “other” category was the major contributor to revenue? At $5.5 billion? The total revenue was around $78B right???

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Yes, Apple Watch!! I love mine. I was one who waited for LTE before jumping in. Having used it, I realize I could have jumped in sooner. Mine consistently last 2 days even with recording workouts and playing music over Bluetooth. The only time it gets used quickly is when I use it for LTE calls, but it’s rare for now. Hopefully battery life will extend for LTE usage with subsequent releases.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I just wish LTE AW was supported in my country. I would switch my AW3 to LTE in a flash.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Still stoked with my Series 0. Has been on my wrist at least 12 hours a day, everyday, for the last two years.

Looking forward to seeing what a Series 4 will be like.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Why doesn't the Apple Watch support sleep tracking yet? I feel this is a huge feature missing and I use it on my
Fitbit which is half the cost constantly.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
I have a top end Series 3 watch. The telephone and internet LTE access work acceptably. But I still carry my iPhone with me almost always.

I can’t get the heart rate monitor to function worth beans. It’s a prime reason I bought the iWatch. Never had a problem with other third party chest straps syncing with my iPhone. The least bit of perspiration seems to throw the iWatch heart rate monitor off. If the iWatch is going to provide “health” device functionality, more work is needed.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Not really because of LTE. It was finally the right time to buy an Apple Watch with the Series 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.