Apple Watch. Sell it to me.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WRXiceman, Sep 28, 2015.

1. WRXiceman macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

Hi all,

I popped into the Apple Store on the weekend and tried on a 42mm Black sport watch. I really liked it am I'm tempted to buy one, but I don't want it to be just on an impulse.

I love my Apple products, and I think the watch would be a nice accompaniment to my new iPhone 6S.

What are your main reasons for purchasing one? Have they added anything for you?
    What's the benefits?

Pros and cons?

Any first hand user info would be great. Thanks all

2. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

...or you could just buy it and use the return policy if you do not like it. It is hard to explain to someone without them personally using it. It seems everyone finds their own best uses for it so instead of being swayed by someone's personal opinion, you can develop one on your own.

3. kevkmartin macrumors newbie

No one can "sell it to you". It's a very personal device; only you will know if it works for you. I got mine on launch day and use it a LOT more than I ever anticipated.
    As said above, buy it and use it for two weeks. You'll know for sure then.

4. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I will say this, I got the 42mm Sport on Launch Day and almost a month and half later returned it to get the more expensive 42mm SS, I went with the sport at first not knowing if it would be worth the $399, but I loved it so much, I then went with the $599, As far as what I love, Ill agree with the one above me, to hard to explain what we love and why, Id say buy it and within 14 days decide if you want to keep it.

I have worn my watch every day since and my 5 other "Mechanical Watches" just sit collecting dust

5. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Convenience, and accurate timepiece... if you need to be "sold" more than that, I'd steer clear - you'll undoubtedly be disappointed, feeling it's not worth what you paid, or posting "Now what?" threads.

In no way, shape, or form a necessity - even amongst faux-necessary tech like tablets and smartphones. If you really want one, and can take the price, you won't be disappointed.

6. apocalyarts, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

apocalyarts macrumors newbie

apocalyarts

I bought mine two days ago. At first I was very sceptical, but now that I have it on my arm and I actually think that I now live a more meaningful life :D Now I don't have to "sign off" from Real Life when my iphone vibrates in my pocket and it takes 20-30 seconds to take it out, look whats on it and maybe respond. So yeah, notifications on your wrist. Big one.

Then there's Nightstand. I think it's... lovely. Nothing really special, but lovely.

Also you have all this health stuff. Activities, Exercises and heart rate monitor. I'm absolutely not a sports guy, so it's pretty much useless to me... for now. But I think these features are already that well implemented and thought out, I might just try to get into it, which is a huge achievement for a device like this.

On the downside:
    - Some slow apps, especially Maps
    - No Notes app
    - iPhone Watch app kinda messy, redundant, complicated. Example: you have to download an iOS app and install their included Watch app just to find out if the app includes a complication for your watchface.

My tip: check the apps you are using the most and see if they satisfy you on the watch. I use the Facebook Messenger a lot and the watchOS app for that thing is just around the corner, so I'm almost covered. Maybe for you it's different.

My guess: If you can hold on till the Apple Watch 2, do it. But if you feel really tempted now, there's no big reason to not try it now.

7. WRXiceman thread starter macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

Yes I understand that, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of buying and and returning if I can avoid it. This thread won't necessarily be the deciding factor, but it would be nice to get other people's thoughts and opinions on it, so I can make a more calculated decision.

Would just be nice to hear from the people who own one, that's all.

PS Maybe I titled this thread inaccurately.

8. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

For me like I was saying, I absolutely love mine, I have 2 Movado's and a few nice Ceramic Fossil Watches and none have come out of my watch case since April 24th when the watch came out except for the 3 days I had between returning the Sport and getting the SS. :)

9. WRXiceman thread starter macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

Thanks for all the responses so far. Good to read through your thoughts on it. Think I may treat myself on pay day (Wednesday)

10. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I've had it since launch day 38 MM SS with ML but I upgraded to a Link Band. I love it- i'm on call 24/7 so I panic if I forget my phone and go out with the dogs for a walk. Now I get my pages (via text message) from my work iPhone - that now stays charging in the bedroom outside of office hours. My main motivator were texts to my wrist via wifi and that works like a dream. I'm now spoiled to just glancing at my wrist for weather info without having to open an app. I'm also now addicted to the activity rings and trying to meet and/or exceed my goals. It's also nice to take a call from the watch and have it hand off to the phone if I"m out with the dogs - normally I would miss that call.

11. Kapybarus macrumors member

My view. In crowd, I felt awkward doing something on watch. Also everyone was noticing it. My introvert part wasnt happy about it. But mostly, I found using phone quicker most of the times. Yeah, there have been situation where it was useful, but mostly not. Not wesring it for some time was quite a relief.

12. apocalyarts macrumors newbie

apocalyarts

It's all the little things. check in under 5 Seconds if it will rain in 3 hours, quickly set a timer while you're in the kitchen... you just have to start using it for a few days and see. 450 is not a fortune and resell value is pretty solid.

13. bandrews macrumors 6502a

My SS Product Red AW just arrived. Sold my Moto 360 on eBay last week.

If there's one thing that I'll say about the AW that doesn't really apply to other Apple products is:

Get it because you like it.
    Get it because you think it feels well made.
    Get it because you think it looks good.
    Get it because the screen is beautiful.
    Get it because you have a gut urge to buy it.

I have tried to justify the purchase - hoping it will force me to go to the gym more or for hands free notifications but having just received it and opened the box (and the unboxing in itself was impressive enough!), it's usefulness is secondary to it's form.

If I find another use for it other than telling the time, it will be a bonus.

While the Moto 360 was arguably as useful, I never once felt any kind of emotion when using it other than pure utility. My Apple Watch has already earned its place between my Cartier Tank franchise and Casio F91W (Square watches FTW!).

No matter how hard I try to leave the Apple ecosystem, I bounce back twice as hard. Hell, it's expensive.

14. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Apple pay is the biggest plus. Some apps are still slow and means you reach for the phone.
    I'm still very conscious in public and won't look at mine!
    Being able to dictate short notes straight into Omnifocus is great (although dictation since Watch v2.0 has gone a bit awry for me), I'm now getting impatient over a few other apps that should be updated to go native...

I wouldn't say the watch is the prettiest, but its the most comfortable I've ever worn. Not having a pain in my wrist bone at the end of a long day is still something I appreciate.

15. jphjph macrumors newbie

jphjph

I bought and still have the sport, wear it everyday and wish I had upgraded to the SS. Will definitely be upgrading to SS when No.2 comes out

16. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Within the last two weeks I've bought the Apple Watch Sport (Gold w/ Midnight Blue sport band), iPhone 6S (Gold), and 12 inch MacBook retina (Space Grey), so I now have the Force Touch (3D touch) across those three devices.. it's kind of taking things to the next level in terms of interaction.

I really appreciate being able to tell Siri to set a 55 minute timer to the Watch

I still have my 15" MBP, Apple TV, iPad and my old iPhone 5S and 5C

If you're a long term Apple customer, it's a nice treat, but, I have to wonder, at what point does it become overload?

Stay tuned.

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

http://www.apple.com/watch/

1. Watch keynote
    2. Read about features
    3. Decide if useful or not
    4. Purchase based on conclusion of #3.

Most of us bought the Apple watch because of the reasons above. You may not see a use for it.

18. erasr macrumors 6502

I bought one at the weekend and after 5 days of usage I'm still 50/50.

My personal opinion is that whilst it's nice to see notifications on it, I still prefer to use my phone to view stuff. Text, whatsapp, messages all look better on the phone and taking a second more effort to use the phone is worth it.

I feel lazy with this watch. I feel bogged down by devices. I feel for the first time ever an Apple Slave. Ok I'm going over the top but I love Apple and have had their products since the 90's.

The Watch just feels unnecessary. I'm conscious that there's something electronic on my wrist emitting 'something'.

However, it looks cool and lots of people think it's cool. Notifications are nice, like I said. Siri is useful. Apple Pay will be good.

But, people have the new iPhone and it does all this too. I'd prefer all these features on a new phone. Maybe I should have bought a 6S instead.

19. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I find we are spoiled, technology comes out in drips and drabs so we rarely feel like the future is now, we tend to bitch about minor things. I just got my apple watch, I love it. It actually gives me the feeling that I'm now living in the future that i read about as a kid. Today paid for my Starbucks with my watch, asked Siri about a tree disease which she found immediately and read it to me, answered texts from Telegram from my wrist, tracked my exercise, got updated MLB scores (Go Jays), checked the weather, got stop quotes, and of course looked at the time. The watch doesn't replace anything, but for me it makes the phone far more powerful. The best analogy I can think of is having a great entertainment system where you had to get up and change channels manually like we did in the 70's, a remote control makes it far more enjoyable and useful.

20. fox1401 macrumors regular

fox1401

Apple Slave? no, i am not feeling that way as i really enjoy using i-products. I am using iMac 5k, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Airport time capsule, and of course Apple Watch. All these devices have great integration and it just make my life easier. When my internet connection get upgraded i am planning to use some home kit supported products as well.

21. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I find it actually makes me feel less of a slave to my devices, with a quick glance I can decide to respond or not without dragging out my phone.

22. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Me too. I barely get my phone out of my pocket during the day, because of the Apple Watch, which means falling down less time-wasting rabbit holes like the internet or social media.

23. WRXiceman thread starter macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

Well I took the plunge and picked up an Apple Watch SS. So far I am loving it and finding it quite convenient for my needs. Thanks for everyone's comments.

24. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I absolutely could live without my Apple Watch. But it's gotten to the point where I feel a little naked without it. Little things like being able to get notifications even when my phone is in my pocket (where I'd ordinarily probably miss the notifications as a result), using it as an alarm clock with a very subtle vibration which beats the obnoxiously loud alarm of my iPhone, checking little things here and there. I like it. Again, not a must have, but it's nice.

25. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I agree with you. But there are plenty of threads on this site where people will try to sell people on why they need one anyways. =P

OP could go to Apple store and buy one and see how he likes it for 2 weeks. I think that is the best thing for OP to do. Don't take someone else's word. Try it yourself.