Apple Watch series 0 still worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Lexical, May 8, 2017.

1. Lexical macrumors regular

Afternoon all,

Have the chance to get a SS Apple Watch first generation, brand new unused for a good price. Always liked the SS version a lot and just wondered if those who have one still find them perfectly adequate?

If anyone has any first hand experience of the series 0 vs series 2 I would be very appreciative. I know it's obviously not as quick but just wondered if it's horrible or not.

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I recently upgraded from a Series 0 to Series 2, mostly because I wanted the 2 key features available in the 2, GPS and water resistance. For a lesser reason, I wanted the SBSS version, while my Series 0 was Space Gray aluminum.

That said, the Series 0 is still perfectly functional and my wife still uses hers, not interested in an upgrade. The battery life of the Series 0 isn't as good, requiring a recharge nightly and it doesn't have the GPS or water resistance of the 2, but otherwise, it still functions just fine. The main drawbacks being the Series 0 is not as quick and you can't swim with it on.

3. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I didn't get an Apple Watch until recently so I don't have any experience with the original compared to the Series 2. But I would point out that the original is over 2 years old already and has a single core chip. So, while it may be perfectly usable today, there is a good chance the Series 0 will not get software updates for much longer, meaning you might miss out on new features in the near future. The original iPad had a single core chip and stop receiving software updates after iOS 5, about 2 years after it went on sale. Contrast that with the iPad 2, which received software updates from iOS 4 through iOS 9, almost 5 years.

I'd say if you can possibly afford it, get a Series 2. At this point the Series 0 is quite dated. You'll spend more up front, but you'll probably get more use out of it in the long run.

4. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

If you can find a good enough deal, I'd say go for it. Just got one myself for $100 and even if it never gets another software update from this point on I'd be happy with the way it works. Just don't think the series 2 seems worth the extra cost, but to each his own.

5. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I have a series 0 and its perfectly fine. I have no intention of buying a newer one.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

With the recent Watch OS3 updates, the first generation Watch has greatly improved. It's not as quick as the Series 2 is, but it's still very functional and serves its purposes. If you can find a good price on one, I would still suggest it and it will likely be supported through Watch OS4.

7. BenAigen macrumors regular

BenAigen

I'm with @convergent on this one

8. csurfr macrumors 6502a

I had the original Apple Watch in stainless steel, but decided to upgrade to the series 2 based on GPS and the water resistance. That said, I didn't get the stainless again, I went with the space grey Nike instead.

I figured that if I was to upgrade every year (and I'm not trying to kid myself that I wouldn't), that here was no real need for the stainless again. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement with it.

All of that said, I feel like I will miss the sapphire glass front.

9. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your replies guys. For me I really want a stainless one because I think they look a lot better for office workers. I can't really afford a series 2 stainless... in the U.K. They're £549... with only a sport band.

Found a stainless with black classic buckle for less than half that.

10. BenAigen macrumors regular

BenAigen

That is the same AW that I have - with black classic buckle - smart:):)

11. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Well I took the plunge... stainless steel with black classic buckle. Hopefully it'll be alright!

12. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Yes. It lasts 2 days+ on a charge and still works great (with all the native apps) and any other app once added to the dock.

13. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

That's basically what I did... SS with black classic buckle used for a little more than the aluminum one new. And already had Applecare. The great thing about the Apple Watch is that a lot of people buy them and then don't use them at all so there are some for sale that are literally like new. The one I got I couldn't see any signs it had ever been worn. The watch band didn't even have an indent where the buckle sits. I did buy a couple more bands, in particular the black sports band which I have on it unless I'm going to some place like an office where I'll be in business attire. And that is where the SS with black classic buckle really looks so much better than any of the aluminum models. It looks very classy. I also got a knock off milanese loop that I like and may get the real one. That band would look ridiculous on the aluminum one. The SS can go with just about any band.

14. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Yep this is exactly why I wanted one! The stainless just looks so much better than the aluminium one and goes with way more bands. I'm really glad I got it with the classic buckle as well.

Like I said I've had an aluminium one in the last and returned it because I just didn't think it was worth the money. This time though I'm happy with what I paid and what I'm getting. Especially as it's brand new!

15. BenAigen macrumors regular

BenAigen

Well done - enjoy the SS watch and black classic buckle - it does look smart:)

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Classic buckle is one of my favorite bands. Enjoy.

17. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Received it last night. Have to say I'm well
    impressed... the SS just looks so much more premium and aside from it taking about 2 hours to update to watch os 3.2 the experience has been night and day from what I remember. It's super quick! Way better than I was expecting. Just hope the battery life is alright! Don't mind charging it everyday just hope it lasts the day. Only slight issue is the bottom button feels a little loose but I'm not that bothered.

Also the place I bought it from sent me a Milanese loop band for free from a company called hoco. Seems to be worth about £30 so rather happy about that. Just need a sport band now.

18. Relentless Power, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The stainless is awesome. Hoco makes a nice third party band. And a reputable company that stands behind their product.

19. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Well I don't need to worry about the battery life... seems great to me. Had the watch on since 6:30 this morning and it's still on 78%.

Really impressed.

20. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

I get nearly 3 days from my SS S0 model

21. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

... how? Mine needs a charge every night. Do you not use it often by interacting with the screen?

22. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

id think so if you can get a great deal on one

can't believe first gen is 2 years old now, nuts. doesn't show how well its aged, so much as how slow progress has been...

series 1 and 2 don't impress me enough to upgrade, at all. no desire. the experience needs to change before I care that series 1 has a faster proc, I'm not rebooting the thing all the time and looking at start up times.

and series 2 is nice with waterproof, and GPS, but honestly I don't really care about either. and a nicer OLED screen is nice, but the one I have is nice too, especially for a watch.

I don't even wear mine that often anymore but I like having it.

23. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

I don't have any 3rd party apps. I use it all day and tracking sleep as well. Lasts about 2 days and 18 hours.

24. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I just upgraded to the series 2 from my series 0.

Main reasons:

- I had a hard time seeing the watch in bright daylight - Series 2 is perfect out in daylight now. Much more brighter.
    - My battery was getting under 10% many times by 6pm - Series 2 fixes this.
    - Waterproof: I love that I no longer have to take my watch off before I go swimming. The Series 0 might have been fine, but it didn't have the water-lock feature. When I wore it in the rain, water would hit the screen causing all sorts of fake random clicks/swipes putting me in/out of various modes and changing my watch faces. It was super annoying. Now I can just click the water droplet, and that won't happen.
    - Siri: Siri seems to actually work on the Series 2 - failed most of the time on the Series 0.
    - Future proofing: I bet many things in WatchOS 4 won't work on the old Series 0.

GPS? I don't need that feature.
    Speed? It's the same speed as the Series 0 for most everything 'right now'. I'm sure that WatchOS 4 will make the Series 2 faster than the Series 0, as it will take advantage of the dual cores.

25. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

How do you track sleep without a third party app? I only have 6 third party apps I barely use and don't get anywhere near that battery life.