Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just upgraded to the series 2 from my series 0.

Main reasons:

- I had a hard time seeing the watch in bright daylight - Series 2 is perfect out in daylight now. Much more brighter.
- My battery was getting under 10% many times by 6pm - Series 2 fixes this.
- Waterproof: I love that I no longer have to take my watch off before I go swimming. The Series 0 might have been fine, but it didn't have the water-lock feature. When I wore it in the rain, water would hit the screen causing all sorts of fake random clicks/swipes putting me in/out of various modes and changing my watch faces. It was super annoying. Now I can just click the water droplet, and that won't happen.
- Siri: Siri seems to actually work on the Series 2 - failed most of the time on the Series 0.
- Future proofing: I bet many things in WatchOS 4 won't work on the old Series 0.

GPS? I don't need that feature.
Speed? It's the same speed as the Series 0 for most everything 'right now'. I'm sure that WatchOS 4 will make the Series 2 faster than the Series 0, as it will take advantage of the dual cores.

Speed wise, I think the S2 processor is significantly faster over the S1 Chip. Mainly with start ups, updates appear faster and applications. I don't think it's drastic, but it certainly is noticeable one the S1.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
How do you track sleep without a third party app? I only have 6 third party apps I barely use and don't get anywhere near that battery life.
Autosleep and sleep watch track sleep and don't require the install of an app. You can install their apps but they are not required.

It's always the 3rd party apps that kill the battery.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Speed wise, I think the S2 processor is significantly faster over the S1 Chip. Mainly with start ups, updates appear faster and applications. I don't think it's drastic, but it certainly is noticeable one the S1.

I just don't see any speed increase with normal activities, including apps, with the S2 processor. I rarely reboot my watch or do updates. The speed there is better, yes, but those are rare activities.

Yes, I know in theory it's faster. I just don't think WatchOS 3 is using it fully.

I'm betting with WatchOS 4, when the OS is made to use both cores, there will be a huge difference between the chips. But not right now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just don't see any speed increase with normal activities, including apps, with the S2 processor. I rarely reboot my watch or do updates. The speed there is better, yes, but those are rare activities.

Yes, I know in theory it's faster. I just don't think WatchOS 3 is using it fully.

I'm betting with WatchOS 4, when the OS is made to use both cores, there will be a huge difference between the chips. But not right now.

I definitely don't think the S2 processor is drastically faster, but it's noticeable. I await what WatchOS4 will bring. Looking forward to it.

preppy

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
ColoRADo
Originally resisted the AW. Bought my wife a S1 earlier this month and after fidgeting with it, knew I wanted one as well. Found a used stainless S0 for $130 last night and impulse bought. Sort of had buyers remorse but this thread made me feel better. ;)

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Originally resisted the AW. Bought my wife a S1 earlier this month and after fidgeting with it, knew I wanted one as well. Found a used stainless S0 for $130 last night and impulse bought. Sort of had buyers remorse but this thread made me feel better. ;)

Just paid £270 GBP for a S0 42mm stainless steel with Milanese loop here as an upgrade for my 38mm S0 sport. For $130 I'd be struggling to feel the slightest remorse! Enjoy your bargain.

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Afternoon all,

Have the chance to get a SS Apple Watch first generation, brand new unused for a good price. Always liked the SS version a lot and just wondered if those who have one still find them perfectly adequate?

If anyone has any first hand experience of the series 0 vs series 2 I would be very appreciative. I know it's obviously not as quick but just wondered if it's horrible or not.

Does the company still have any left ? Also in U.K.

Lexical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
I got it off eBay. Was £240 or something. Have a quick search. Dead impressed with the service. Arrived next day, was brand new as promised plastic wrap still on the box etc.

Honestly so pleased with it. Had it over a week now and finding the battery life superb. Generally have about 50% left when I take it off every night and that's me wearing it a good 17-18 hours a day.

So glad I got a SS version. Looks way better and is great for someone like me who works in an office.

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
I got it off eBay. Was £240 or something. Have a quick search. Dead impressed with the service. Arrived next day, was brand new as promised plastic wrap still on the box etc.

Honestly so pleased with it. Had it over a week now and finding the battery life superb. Generally have about 50% left when I take it off every night and that's me wearing it a good 17-18 hours a day.

So glad I got a SS version. Looks way better and is great for someone like me who works in an office.

Thank you.
Could you send me the seller name or item number , can't seem to find a 42mm unless they have sold out.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I still in love with orginal series 0 Apple Watch. It is working very well. Battery is so fantastic it lasted for almost 3 days.

Wow. Almost three days for the first Generation is impressive and the longest I have heard of thus far. Do you have the heart rate sensor active during the entire time?

Reactions: haruhiko

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
The series 0 could become sought after in the long term for nostalgia reasons, much like the original iPhone. Probably worth keeping it just incase, you may be able to sell it for a tidy profit if this is the case.

PeterRollback

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
Arizona
I have a day one SS Series 0 and I can’t take it anymore. Honestly if you get the chance to get the series 2, it would definitely be better. My series 0 has gotten to the point where it’s useless for its secondary functions such as sending messages and launching apps. Apart from consistent lags, apps like Instagram and Twitter take o er a minute to load and crash eventually. It’s only good for telling time and getting notifications. But it is incredibly slow.

Reactions: haruhiko

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I have a day one SS Series 0 and I can’t take it anymore. Honestly if you get the chance to get the series 2, it would definitely be better. My series 0 has gotten to the point where it’s useless for its secondary functions such as sending messages and launching apps. Apart from consistent lags, apps like Instagram and Twitter take o er a minute to load and crash eventually. It’s only good for telling time and getting notifications. But it is incredibly slow.

Clearly YMMV but I only use my S0 for notifications and activity tracking and it was fine for that. If I want to launch apps the tiny screen makes me just reach for the phone anyway.

Although maybe that’s because apps launch so slowly..self fulfilling prophecy :p

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
My S0 on watchOS 3 is perfectly serviceable. What I really wanted to know is if watchOS 4 will kill it.

Regardless, waiting for my S3 Nike+. The wife's 38mm certainly could use better battery life as well going to a S3 from S0.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My S0 on watchOS 3 is perfectly serviceable. What I really wanted to know is if watchOS 4 will kill it.
My battery life seems to be suffering more on watchOS 4, though it was not stellar prior to the upgrade. At this stage of ownership the watch barely lasts the day. I had a hour and 1/2 workout yesterday and the battery was on fumes by 8:00

Regardless, waiting for my S3 Nike+. The wife's 38mm certainly could use better battery life as well going to a S3 from S0.
I'm probably going to take the plunge with the Nike watch (GPS only) but so far I seem to be fighting that temptation :)

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
My battery life seems to be suffering more on watchOS 4, though it was not stellar prior to the upgrade. At this stage of ownership the watch barely lasts the day. I had a hour and 1/2 workout yesterday and the battery was on fumes by 8:00

Hmmm... that gives me pause! How's the speed however?

I'm probably going to take the plunge with the Nike watch (GPS only) but so far I seem to be fighting that temptation :)

If you're coming from S0 Sport, Just Do It!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.