Apple Watch Series 1 vs Series 2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nviz22, Oct 10, 2016.

1. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

I am sure there are tons of these topics out there, but I wanted to see which one works best for me in my particular situation?

So I am interested in an AW1 or AW2 for my 7+. I am excited about getting the AW1 or AW2 because of the new dual-core processor. GPS piques my interest as well. I also want to get special financing for the Watch, but it seems like that Apple only offers it on the 42mm AW2 Sport or better.

The bands I am looking at: Sport, Nylon, or the Nike edition.

Is the brightness worth it? Can you use GPS on your wrist for Apple Maps for driving directions instead of the iPhone when attached, meaning you could save battery a bit with bluetooth being used rather than bluetooth + GPS? I don't swim, so would the AW1's splash resistance be good as the IP67 rating the iPhone 7+ offers?

What I want to use my watch is for notifications, a speaker for calls when in private at home, measuring footsteps, working with music as a remote, siri, apps. Anything else that's better is a plus. I was thinking the 1000 nits might help during the day too. Thoughts?

2. angrytoothbrush macrumors regular

angrytoothbrush

You pretty much have this nailed down. Both the AW1 and AW2 will allow you to use Maps via bluetooth with the phones GPS. I have never tried to get directions on my AW2 without my phone.

Someone in my building uses his AW0 in the pool and it seems fine to me, I was a little scared for him but I dont think hes ever even thought enough about it to be nervous.

That brings us to brightness issue. I have read numerous posts about people not being able to see the display in direct sunlight, and I've read other from people in notably more overcast areas like the UK and never once had an issue. My suggestion is that if this is a possible aggravation for you my AW2 is stellar in even the brightest Florida days.

The style you want is on you... Have fun!

3. tivoboy macrumors 68030

for the extra 100$ I think the bigger battery in the AW2 and the brighter screen are already worth it..

if you are going to use the watch for mapping and routing (with the phone for example) the brighter screen while walking outside or driving in a car is much nice.. it's just sharp bright and very readable. It shuts off VERY quickly and I don't find it impacts battery much at all.

coming from an AW0 to a AW2, I get at LEAST a solid 2 days of usage with one to two :45-1:00 workouts daily. Either a walk (with phone) or indoor OTHER workout.

If 100$ is a tight amount of money, then the AW1 is probably a great choice

4. irod87 macrumors regular

I got the series 2 for no other real reason than the brighter display. All the other things are added bonuses over my previous series 0.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

To answer your question on straps...

The Nike straps will work with all watches. But there currently isn't any announcement of straps being sold a la cart. Further, the Nike edition Watch is exclusively series 2. In sure bands will show up almost immediately after launch in ebay. Be that knock off ornused Nike bands people didn't like.

6. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Screen brightness of Series 1 is comparable to the iPhone outdoors. I haven't had any trouble viewing Series 1 outdoors.

7. werked macrumors regular

werked

This is all good info. I've been back and forth myself and still undecided if the 100 is worth it. Let us know what you decide to go with. May help me make up my mind.

8. werked macrumors regular

werked

Think I've decided on the series 1 and they are in stock. I'm a BB Elite Plus member and have 45 days to return should I change my mind and want the series 2. Probably pick up the space gray today. Gonna have to try on to decide between 38 or 42.

9. recoil80 macrumors 68000

This.
    And last week has been really sunny here, so I tested it in the worst condition, I really love the display of my series1.
    In my opinion the real question if do you need to workout without the iPhone and really need the integrated GPS?
    Water resistance is the other feature missing from series1, but is important only if you need to swim with the Watch, since series 1 can't be damaged by rain so it is safe to wear it in every scenario except swimming.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2016 ---
    Oh I didn't notice you already made your choice.
    I think it is a good one, save $100 and maybe get AC+ so you get additional coverage.
    The size is really up to you, I went for the 42 because text is slightly bigger but 38 is maybe more comfortable to wear. You have to try it on your wrist, nobody can tell you which is the perfect size

10. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I won't swim with a watch on period. I don't need the integrated GPS, it would be just nice to have. I guess I would take my 7+ to a gym or on a jog.

11. recoil80 macrumors 68000

So series 1 seems a good choice. I always have my iPhone with me when I'm outdoor and I don't swim anymore so series 2 is useless for me and I went for series 1

12. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I have to see if I can get special financing through the Barclays Card just to keep my payments spread out. Rather not drop $321 for the watch all at once lol.

13. recoil80 macrumors 68000

That's a problem with Apple Watch, it is cheaper than iPhone if you buy it outright but a lot of people buy their phones from carriers so they don't have to spend a huge amount of money once.

14. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

At least the SE is really affordable now for an entry model. Is the S1P the same as the S2 processor minus the GPS? I want to see benchmarks but can't find it.

15. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Yes it is. GPS, is the only difference performance-wise. The Series 2 has better waterproofing. Aliso, outdoors Seriers 2 can get brighter, but because of the ambient light sensors you won't notice a difference indoors. 9to5mac performed a video comparison of performance between the two showing identical perfmance, unless you really want to twist the crown to gradually brighten Series 2 until you touch the screen or a button and it gets just as bright as it would have anyway

16. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Don't forget the series 2 has a bigger battery so if you don't use gps you will have longer battery life than a series 0 or 1.

17. pjny macrumors 6502a

I had same needs and got the AW1. Screen brightness is very good and I have had no issues in all types of light. While the AW2 is brighter I have been very happy with my decision.

18. Dave245 macrumors 601

i'm thinking about getting the series two Apple Watch (upgrading from my current series 1) can anyone tell me if the battery life is better? also is the series 2 more accurate with the heart rate and exercise measurements?

as a runner I like the look of the Apple Watch Nike Plus, however i really like to change my bands out, apparently you can't buy the Nike Plus bands separately, i think this is silly and Apple should sell them.

19. zamboni52, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

zamboni52 macrumors regular

I bought a Series 2 42mm and returned the Series 1. I usually do 30-min indoor aerobics activity (indoor elliptical or cycle, i.e. No gps) followed by about 30-45 mins of weight training (other on the fitness app) the whole time streaming music via Powerbeats 2 from my playlist stored on my Apple Watch. I take the watch off the charger 7am and usually but it back around 11pm.

So, about 1.5 hours of fitness app plus 1.5 hours of music streaming and about 14 hours of normal watch interactions (messages, notifications, Siri, etc). On the Series 1 I had about 8% left without using low power mode and with the Series 2 I had about 58%. Mind you this is without using Gps. I think Apple assumed you'd be using gps for some of the time when they estimated the battery life.

Bottom line, I'm happy. And I'm going to add swimming as one of my aerobic activities because of the waterproof-ness of the watch and it's ability to track swim workouts.

20. Dave245 macrumors 601

Thanks for that, I'm thinking about passing my current first gen down to a family member and picking up a series 2. Can anyone tell me the difference between the stainless steel and the aluminium? I currently have a stainless steel Apple Watch, if I go for an aluminium one this time (Series 2) will it be less durable? My current stainless steel has scratches but has survived a few minor bumps.

21. irod87 macrumors regular

I noticed this. I wore all day and then when i go to put it on the charger for the night it still had 60 percent. So I could possibly use it two days before having to charge it.

22. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I have to see how long my Series 1 battery life will last. I ordered a Series 2 just in case though. No plans on GPS now though. I expect the Series 1 > Series 0 because of the processor.

23. mrwilly25 macrumors member

I originally purchased the Series 1 the day it was available at Best Buy, after two weeks, I exchanged it for the Series 2 when it become available.

I main reason for the Series 2 was the brighter screen and larger battery.

With the Series 1, I would end the day under 30% when I put it on the charger for bed time. With the Series 2, I would be at 60% every time, all with the same usage as the Series 1.

24. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

But you would only recommend that to people who can afford that right? Money is tighter so going $100 extra doesn't help me much at all.

25. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I used mine for two day often and thats' with a 1-1.5 hours of workouts across the two days..