Apple Watch Series 2 is brighter my mistake

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dan9700, Sep 17, 2016.

1. dan9700 macrumors 68000

dan9700

I just got the series 2 42mm watch and compared it to my last and it is zero brighter if anything its lighter, both are full max brightness, apple claim its double brightness but its a lie unless my watch is broke, if anything its exact the same brightness, so upset thats main reason I upgraded

2. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

From pics and video reviews it's definitely brighter. Maybe yours is defective?

3. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Return it and keep the one you have if you're disappointed with the upgrade. Don't settle.

4. magrat22 macrumors 6502

magrat22

Did you max out the brightness in the app? It's default is low light.

5. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

I usually keep mine on lowest setting and I still noticed a huge difference in brightness difference after upgrading.

6. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

They both have an ambient light sensor, so if you are indoors they may look similar. Go outdoors and take a look at them both in bright sunlight.

7. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 68000

dan9700

why would I do that I want the new one as it says its double the brightness even tho its exactly the same
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    I maxed it out yea on both and its the same honestly ill do a video tomorrow, how is it double brightness?
    ill try in day light, but with a touch on both they got bright but yea looked exactly the same, I really thought the new one would be much brighter
    I don't get it, on my new series 2 its honestly the same if not lower than the first gen one

8. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Do the video outdoors and include the brightness setting screen in siettings, or it didn't happen.

9. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 68000

dan9700

im not lying about it
    Here is series 2 on left and my girls one gen on right, this is with my Phillip hue lights shinning with daylight mode, and both maxed out and honestly you can't tell one bit series 2 is brighter, whats going on

Attached Files:

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Some people are saying this about the iPhone 7 as well. What I took from that thread is apparently there is a beyond max. What is implied here is that the device will actually make it brighter then the max manual setting as needed. Unsure if this is accurate.

I've also read claims here (I didn't verify them which is why I call these all claims) that the 1000 nits takes 10x the power of 450 nits. So... makes sense Apple would restrict this if so.

I'll add that I didn't notice the difference from my wife's gen 1 either.

11. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 68000

dan9700

its sad cos the main reason I spent £700 is for making my watch brighter and its so dark same as last one, apple claims are lied double the brightness is a lie I can't tell a bit of a difference

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

In unsure it's a lie. It seems this is technically verifiable and could get Apple into legal trouble. That said I don't know what to tell you. It's been pretty bright for me and brightness was never a real complaint of mine. But that doesn't help you, I know.

I suppose you can take it back if unhappy.

13. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 68000

dan9700

I love the speed jump with series 2 but just wish I could see the brightness I'm just confused how they quote double the brightness and its not noticeable at all

14. magrat22 macrumors 6502

magrat22

I didn't really notice a big difference until I looked at it in sunlight it was much easier to see then my series 0 one.

15. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

The one on the right is brighter and the whites are blowing out in the photo. Go outside in the daytime with a video of the brightness settings and then comeback. Goodnight

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

yesh I hear you. Rather than a flashlight try sunlight. I didn't directly compare to my wife's device outside but I went on a run today and was rather impressed; no issues seeing the screen whatsoever in direct sun. One hour run with gps and all day use and I took it off an hour ago (so about a 13 hour day) atc50% battery.

17. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 68000

dan9700

ill try tomorrow but I don't think ill notice a difference just wish it was much brighter

18. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

I had the same issue, however I've just figured out that it's when it's in direct light that it goes beyond the maximum brightness settings.
    The best way to see it: if you hold your iPhone torch up to it for a few seconds, it will brighten. Then cover the watch face with your hand to turn the screen off, then tap to wake it again, you will see that it goes back to its normal brightness setting.

It will make a big difference in sunlight. I would have notice here in Sydney, however it has been raining and cloudy all weekend haha.

19. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 68000

dan9700

but even in daylight the series 1 was same brightness they booked looked bright at the same

20. AccPy macrumors member

AccPy

Were they both the SS or Sport models since the ion X and sapphire crystal screens would make a difference.

21. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

All the pictures i've seen they are brighter. Can you send a pic where on both watches its on the screen where they are both on full brightness? so i can believe you

22. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Your pic looks to be indoors you to be out in bright sunlight for it. They will be the same in Low light indoors and the brightness only increases beyond 450 nits when in bright sunlight.

23. the future macrumors 65816

It would make zero sense to let the user manually initiate the 1000 nits "torch mode" as it would use way too much energy and is absolutely unnecessary inside or in clouded weather. In very bright conditions (sunlight) it will be initiated automatically. This is just smart design.

24. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Yes because to go from 450 nits to 1000 nits requires about 10x as much power. ;) Thread is a misunderstanding and the title is FUD.