Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
funny
Additionally, I'm an asthmatic and while problems are rare–there's always the threat of something bad happening.
Real world facts: every sportsmen has asthma nowadays. Any doping is welcome and I believe Apple watch gets you far.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
It's hilarious how people are getting bent out of shape by government taxes.

On the top of the activation fee, I can't think of the last time I actually had to pay one on AT&T or Verizon. A quick phone call and they always credit the fee back...

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
The cost to add a watch to a wireless plan is a joke. It's worth no more than $5 a month, tops. I'm already paying for the data, it shouldn't matter which device I use it on. I always have my phone, so just like my iPad, I won't be adding a watch to my wireless bill.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I was really exited about getting my son an AW3-LTE until I found out what the carriers were charging, or charging at all.

It's complete and unadulterated highway robbery... it's the SAME number and the SAME data plan you're already paying for. What the hell is it costing them?!

Business 102. You pay for profit, not just cost.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
.. And don’t even get me started on schools.
Had 100% agreement right up to there. Everyone wants a good medical system, lawyers, engineers and a smart work force to compete globally so that they can directly, or even indirectly, benefit locally. Not to mention, the quality of schools is one of the biggest points of determining your house's value in the market and where businesses decide to locate. But then we see this mindset come strolling out...."ain't my kids, why should I pay?" So, sorry to offend, but I will get you started call you out on the issue. Name one, just one, instance where schools got better when we paid less for them. I'll wait.

ETA: On second thought, strike that. Not worth discussing social issues in a Apple Watch thread. I will just leave this thought: the advantaged in this country send their kids to the best schools. You'd think that they recognize a correlation between being well educated and success, or something. I'd think we'd agree that we want more of this for the general population, not less. Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: jettredmont

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I'm on ATT and my bill was $13.37 for the watch, I have also found this to just not be worth it. I could not find a way to cancel the watch service on-line, called in, the rep offered to drop my bill by $10 to keep the watch on. I elected to drop the watch and also drop some data (from 20GB to 10GB/month), dropping both reduced my bill $43/month. I won't miss cellular on the watch at all.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Its a shame Apple seems more and more profit driven as time goes on.
What do you think was funding that big mothership in Cupertino and all those high cost flagship retail stores around the world? The fancy glass, italian stone, and marble cost big bucks. Those expenses were not going to come out of the bonuses the executives are always giving to themselves.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
I was really exited about getting my son an AW3-LTE until I found out what the carriers were charging, or charging at all.

It's complete and unadulterated highway robbery... it's the SAME number and the SAME data plan you're already paying for. What the hell is it costing them?!

I think it’s because the people signing up now are considered early adopters, so the carriers know they can get away with charging so much. In a couple years when there’s more scale and it’s considered more mainstream, the carriers will cut prices. Also (I could be wrong about this), doesn’t it add to network congestion to have more LTE devices connected? If that’s the case, then carriers would theoretically have to invest in network infrastructure to support all the wearable devices with LTE, so they would be justified in charging a fee to use an LTE enabled wearable.

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
While I initially felt pretty confident in my choice to upgrade from Series 2 to Series 3 GPS-only model, now I really am so glad I went that route.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
So basically its something you use at a party to show off and then never again because its far easier to just make a call on the phone rather then talking to your wrist like some sort of spy movie.

sometimes it makes sense to talk to your wrist (e.g. i usually do that, if i get a call and can't find my phone).

beyond that: use a headset. if the watch were truly independent from a phone, i'd probably ditch the phone and only use the watch and an ipad from then on. apart from the camera, between those do i can do everything i can do on the phone either smaller and more portable (e.g. taking phone calls on the watch, listening to music, home automation) or bigger and better (e.g. surfing the web, playing games).

p.s.: $10 seems pretty much in line with carrier pricing in the US, which is usually at least 3 times more expensive than in Europe. i've seen lte-prices for the watch at €3/month over here.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
Real world answer: People who run long distances and don't want to carry their (increasingly larger) smartphones with them, but must have a method of communication with them for safety reasons.

For example, I run multiple marathons a year and am training year round. I go on long runs all the time. I also live in the middle of a very large non-pedestrian-focused city with a lot of drivers who are generally oblivious to pedestrians, and have had several close calls over the years. Additionally, I'm an asthmatic and while problems are rare–there's always the threat of something bad happening. I have to have a way to call in case of an emergency. For people like me having a watch that can do emergency calls (or allow you to receive messages while you're on a 3+ hour run just in case someone else is having an emergency worth cutting your run short for) without having to carry a large device with you is very appealing.

Edit: Clearly this isn't a need that isn't covered by a phone. It is, however, a substantial quality of life improvement for some.

Agreed! AW3-LTE is a luxury item with it's specific purpose and use for people that will find use for and validation for the $10/month charge. It's not for everyone that's why they have the GPS option. I would be really upset if they didn't have that option. At least, people have choices to their specific use of the LTE.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Activation fees should be illegal. You are charging me to be your customer. It’s a joke.

It doesn't need a law. Choose to NOT be a customer.

If enough of us would do that, the give & take in capitalism would have to find a new balance. As is, they take and take and take and we give and give and give. We'll certainly gripe about it, but then we'll roll right over and pay up. As long as we're willing, they are doing exactly what the seller's are supposed to do. Someday the buyers will rediscover that sellers desperately want the cash in our pockets much more than we want or need the service they provide at the prices they seek.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Why I can't just use the watch as my primary phone, without a phone at all.

Because Apple wants your iPhone money MORE than Apple wants your Watch money.

BUT, those willing to buy both, Apple wants you even more.

Similarly...

Cell service provider wants $40+ for the phone more than this fraction of that for Watch service.

BUT, for those willing to own both devices, Cell service providers want you even more.

Nobody- but maybe you and some fellow consumers- wants a shift to Watch and this Watch rate for LTE to nullify the lucrative profits in selling you an iPhone and iPhone service too.

The whole game revolves around squeezing more money out of the source of all revenues... never driving it toward giving us big discounts.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Why does a wristwatch even need LTE???

I for one like being able to communicate w/ my kids and know where they are even if they're just riding the bus to school (where they aren't allowed to use their phones). There are many applications for this technology that you may not have considered.

Reactions: NetMage

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Now you know why the cellular models sport a red crown...it puts you in the red. :p

I though it was a remaining cash (in wallet) sensor reporting back to the motherships... so they can connive other ways to get the rest...

then however much they can get you to buy on credit...

then however much they can get you to buy on credit after consolidating old debt...

then anything you have of value when your tapped out of all cash.

At the end they'll guilt you into buying life insurance with a reverse mortgage and using the rest to keep this train running as far down the track as possible.;)

andre n.

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
Because Apple wants your iPhone money MORE than Apple wants your Watch money.

BUT, those willing to buy both, Apple wants you even more.

Similarly...

Cell service provider wants $40+ for the phone more than this fraction of that for Watch service.

BUT, for those willing to own both devices, Cell service providers want you even more.

Nobody- but maybe you and some fellow consumers- wants a shift to Watch and this Watch rate for LTE to nullify the lucrative profits in selling you an iPhone and iPhone service too.

The whole game revolves around squeezing more money out of the source of all revenues... never driving it toward giving us big discounts.

Exactly. I just thought (maybe hopping) apple was better then that. But yeah, I know how capitalism works.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Should be free next to a phone plan or extra 1$ a month, this is a rip off that is going to hurt Apple if they don't do something about it like running a MVNO.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
There will be a point where you will be able to have any device on your wireless plan like you would your wifi unit. Right now we're in the mid-nighties as far as charging for every single different setup. Kind of like how we used to be charged by minute of talking long distance.
Exactly, if it uses the same phone number, it should be included in the cost of your service, period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.