Apple Watch Series 3 Enters 'Final Testing Phase' Ahead of Rumored September Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Watch Series 3 models have entered the "final testing phase" in the manufacturing process, with mass production set to begin soon, according to a new Chinese-language Economic Daily News report [Google Translate].

[​IMG]

The report, citing unnamed supply chain sources, said Taiwan-based manufacturer Quanta Computer will begin shipping Apple Watch Series 3 models to Apple in the fourth quarter, lining up with the smartwatch's widely rumored September launch, alongside new iPhones and possibly a 4K-capable Apple TV.

Apple Watch Series 2 models and slightly upgraded Series 1 models launched last September alongside the iPhone 7, so it's reasonable to assume that Series 3 models could launch this September as well. The original Apple Watch, now unofficially dubbed Series 0, launched in April 2015.

The rest of the report cites KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who recently claimed Apple Watch Series 3 will be available in both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + LTE models in 38mm and 42mm sizes. Kuo said the cellular-enabled model will have an embedded SIM, but it might support VoIP calling only.

Apple Watch Series 3 models will also reportedly have improved performance and longer battery life, at least for the Wi-Fi-only version.

What's less certain is whether the Apple Watch will be significantly redesigned for the first time since being unveiled in September 2014.

Apple blogger John Gruber recently said he heard Apple Watch Series 3 models could have an all-new form factor, but he stressed that the tidbit came from an unconfirmed source who could be wrong. Kuo, meanwhile, said Apple Watch Series 3 models won't have any "obvious" form factor changes.

"It could also be that both my birdie and Kuo are correct," said Gruber, in a follow-up post yesterday. "The phrase 'will not feature an obvious new form factor' leaves a lot of wiggle room with the word 'obvious'," he added.

Few other details are known about the next Apple Watch at this point, and no components have leaked from the supply chain yet.

Apple has filed patents for a number of ideas that could eventually be included in an Apple Watch, such as a heart rate identification system, modular bands, haptic feedback band, and a band with a built-in charger. More significant health and fitness features could be added pending further FDA approvals.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Enters 'Final Testing Phase' Ahead of Rumored September Launch

2. vintagebob macrumors regular

vintagebob

I'm ready to upgrade. Hoping for more fitness and health tracking capabilities.

3. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Hoping it has a significant battery life over the series 2. I am really going to buy one.

4. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

If they are only just going into production then I would imagine that's going to be in October or November release

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Series 2 was awesome. If Apple adds new functions to the Series 3, I will also be upgrading. I like the current design, but would like to see more health advancements. It's been a companion during my workouts and is the best fitness Watch I have ever used.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have the original apple watch in SS, and this is probably one of the few devices where I have felt zero need to upgrade based on what the upgrades have been. While it was not advertised as waterproof, I have been swimming with mine since launch day.

I know people use it for fitness tracking, but it was always just for notifications for me personally. I am trying to decide if the lack of significant updates is a good thing or a bad thing. I am actually starting to grow tired of it =/

7. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Still rocking the Series 0 and waiting for something that makes it compelling for me to change. I don't swim much, or need my watch in the shower and I tend to run on a treadmill, so nothing has done it for me yet.

I would like to have a reason for a new one, but not expecting it to happen.

8. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

It shows up ... it's a triangle.

9. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

No one has talk about pricing yet. Is Series 1 going away and Series 2 goes to Series 1 current prices. Do they all stay and this one picks up the LTE apple tax of £100. I can't believe apple would start the price of this at £499...

10. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Hopefully they keep the same band receivers even if they change up the look of the watch. I have grown a nice little collections of bands, most likely wouldn't upgrade right away if they all suddenly became useless.

11. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

It could also be that they update Series 2, like they did with Series 0, and release Series 3 with a new form factor. The current design is really popular, no need get completely rid of it. But then again, that's what they usually with phones. So never mind. :rolleyes:

12. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

What I want from an Apple Watch 3:
    • Bigger face option (46-48mm)
    • Round style option (I like round watch faces, have always had them until Apple Watch, they could keep the app area in the center and use the full circle for watch faces)
    • Louder speaker volume for taking calls (I don't take many, but it's annoying when I can't hear people when I take a quick call on the Watch like when my hands are full in the store)
    • Faster loading with 100% locally stored and loaded apps (so it would also need more than 8GB of storage)
    • Improved haptic feedback that is less likely to degrade over time
    • Better display contrast in bright light
    • Improvements to the motion sensors that detect if you're moving your wrist to check the watch
    Some might say it needs LTE, but I don't really need LTE if it can just tether the data plan from my iPhone and/or use WiFi. But an LTE option would be welcome for those who need it.

13. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I'm pretty happy with my series 2, there isn't much that would make me want to upgrade yet. I have zero interest in having LTE connectivity, and performance and battery life have been great for me, the latter of which was my major concern when buying.

More kinds of health measurements, so long as they are accurate, would be my main desire for future models.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple isn't going to change the band port yet. That would be a poor business practice at this junction. They know how much money they're making off these bands and it's one of the strongest features the Apple Watch has with the customization and simplicity of changing the bands. The band changing is executed perfectly.

15. MikaelThib macrumors member

MikaelThib

Am I the only one ultra disappointed with Apple Watch?!
    I have series 1, it's always been super slow... 80% of third party apps take a good 30 secs to launch (if ever) making it unusable...

I find it useless overall. It pains me to think how much I spent on this useless gadget!

The only thing I ever liked about it was the fitness feature the first few months I bought it, after which I got annoyed to even go through the UI to start a workout.
    I also like receiving text messages on there, but that's about it.

What do you guys think of Apple Watch overall?

16. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I think I'm ready to buy into Apple Watch now. I'm actually more excited about this than I am any of the rumours for iPhone 7s/8/Pro/Edition even though I'm actually in line for a new iPhone this year too!

17. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Now those sound like the perfect upgrade

18. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Wake me up, when the battery life will be at least 5 working days.

19. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

This one will come for free in October just by buying 2x iPhones 8s at midnight and reselling one.

20. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I added another one after your quote. And yeah, we'll be lucky to get half of these. If we got most of them I might upgrade this year, but I'll probably wait until the 4th gen when many of these things will be a reality.

I thought about saying better battery life, but improving all this other stuff and battery life just doesn't seem feasible. Also Apple likes to keep battery life in a certain zone and improve everything else to use up that budget.

21. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I also have a version 0 SS... still happy with it. GPS and greater water resistance was nice, but not enough to upgrade. To me, LTE is the holy grail. Not to make calls, though handy in a pinch. If in some circumstances I could just leave my phone at home and head out with my watch and know that I can remain connected for texts and emails.. that would be perfect. Disconnect without completely isolating myself. No big phone, no social media, no phone calls, but able to get important messages...Perfect.

22. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Yes, for real. If they're still testing, then they're not likely to have any in quantity for quite a while. It's probably one of those things where they'll announce in September, start shipping a month or two later, and (I hope) have volume production available for Christmas.

23. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

This exactly. Requiring the close proximity of the iPhone is the worse feature of the Apple Watch.

24. adamjackson macrumors 68000

My iPhone 7 is always with me. My Apple Watch Series 2 never gets below 60% battery by midnight when I charge it and I wear it from 7AM to midnight daily swimming, showering, working on my car, doing yard work and it's insanely fast and I can do a lot of stuff while keeping my phone in my pocket.

I'm not certain LTE Inclusion will be enough to get me to upgrade, neither will 2x speeds. The Series 2 is so perfect already. My GF's Series 0 on the other hand is in desperate need of an upgrade even with Watch OS 3's speed improvements.

25. Aston441 macrumors 65816

What is the new trend at Apple was THICKER (like Mr. Ive) giving the serendipitous benefit of week long battery life?