Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Watch Series 3 models are finally selling out on Apple's online store around the world, just days before the line is expected to be discontinued.

EFB6F725-4A17-412B-B503-1D2D6E9C7EAA.jpeg

Three out of four Series 3 configurations listed on Apple's website are currently out of stock in the U.K. and Australia, for example, while one Series 3 model is unavailable on the U.S. store. Availability varies in other countries.

The upcoming watchOS 9 software update is incompatible with the Apple Watch Series 3, and it is expected that Apple will stop selling the device following the introduction of new Apple Watch models at its special event on Wednesday.

New models rumored to be announced at the event include the Apple Watch Series 8, a higher-end Series 8 model that may be named the Apple Watch Pro, and a second-generation Apple Watch SE. The original Apple Watch SE would likely replace the Series 3 as the new lowest-priced model.

Introduced in 2017, the Apple Watch Series 3 is very outdated and on its final days as watchOS 9 nears release for the Series 4 and newer later this month.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Finally Selling Out Before Getting Discontinued

Last edited:

ccraig13

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
PA
I had a Series 4, which I eventually gave to my dad and he still uses. Still going strong. Now, was it just me, or did they make them disappear as soon as the Series 5 hit? I remember thinking oh I’ll get another one at a good price but they seemed to have vanished (besides the used market) and only the 3 was still for sale.

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
I’m still using the original (model 0?) stainless steel and it’s going strong. I paid so much for it that I said I’d use it until it died. It doesn’t get updates anymore but works fine for time, messaging and alerts. Only thing that stinks is that I can no longer add new cards to Apple Pay anymore.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
For kids wanting an Apple Watch, the series 3 is more than capable and very cheap. It makes sense.
To each their own. If I was going to buy an Apple Watch for a kid I would get them a used 44mm Series 5 off Swappa currently priced at $168.
Will last ~2 years longer than the series 3 and costs about $50 less.

If I wanted to get them a new device I’d wait a couple of weeks and get them a series 8 that will last for many years.

Just because the series 3 is cheap doesn’t mean it’s a good buy. I see very little value in buying a new series 3 right now. Seems like a good way to waste money.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I would be worried that people are buying this because of the price.

They probably are, but also probably doing so in the knowledge the SE is unlikely to see a price drop anytime soon, so this is their last chance to get a new Apple Watch for $200.

okeribok

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
I’m still using the original (model 0?) stainless steel and it’s going strong. I paid so much for it that I said I’d use it until it died...
Great watches used to be heirlooms. No chance of that in this world...
At some point you will probably have to stop updating your phone because it will cease to connect to your watch.
And if you do that, you will also need to stop updating your mac, because it will stop working with your phone...

russell_314

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2019
USA
People still buy this despite it being obsolete?
Why not? Not everyone needs or wants the latest tech. If you just want a tap on your wrist when you get a text or to record your workout then it's fine. I'm still using my Series 4 and I suspect I'll get another two years out of it. Yes I also have a Series 6 because depending on what I'm doing. The only difference I notice is battery life and the always on display but other than that they work the same. The Series 4 still gets me through the day but on a long day it's close. Maybe the battery is aging.

Reactions: di1in

russell_314

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I’m still using the original (model 0?) stainless steel and it’s going strong. I paid so much for it that I said I’d use it until it died. It doesn’t get updates anymore but works fine for time, messaging and alerts. Only thing that stinks is that I can no longer add new cards to Apple Pay anymore.
That's probably because it doesn't get security updates. I have both stainless steel and aluminum and while the stainless looks better and is more durable it's also heavier and I don't think a good choice for a watch that becomes obsolete so quickly. Unless you feel that it's pocket change then I would stick with aluminum in the future. You can't beat the $399 base price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.