Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyutin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
was wondering what you thoughts are on LTE affects on the body? Radiation? Constantly connected to skin, etc. I understand that everyone and their grandmother has a smartphone these days, but we don’t typically sleep with it right on our hands or in pockets..so I feel like it’s ok per se. the watch however is on our bodies constantly, and would cellular connectivity omit harmful radiation? I have stainless steel series 2 right now and feel hassitent to get the 3 (ss at least since it only comes with LTE)..I know it’s apples big selling point, but I came across articles earlier that the problem is not WiFi or Bluetooth but rather the cellular connectivity. Thoughts on this?

Reactions: Glideslope

lyutin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
If you’re the type of person that asks this question, don’t get one.

Apple would be bankrupt if their products could have any impact on your health. Don’t worry about it.
I think so too, especially since Cook is a crazy workout/exercise nut-but you never know. They are a company that’s there to make $ after all.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Do you understand how the Cellular feature of the Series 3 works?

As long as your iPhone is around, no Cellular power signal is active. So sleeping is not going to be a problem. Also the cellular function is used on the watch only as a last resort after Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are out of range.

Dave

lyutin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
There’s “scientists” who believe the earth is flat or that climate change isn’t real if you look on the internet...
Wrong, maybe in the past.
There’s “scientists” who believe the earth is flat or that climate change isn’t real if you look on the internet...

First I doubt there are any scientists who claim that, maybe back in the day. But highly objective now. Second if you read even portion of the article, this is a doctor who is also a health advocate on radiation-so something tells me he knows a little more about this topic then some avarage joe. Im not saying research of affects of LTE on body have been proven, but just as it clearly states in the article, it can’t be a good idea to have the “cell phone attached to body 18-24 hours a day”, because that’s really what LTE connected Watch is...

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I stand by my conmment you can find scientists to support anything... this scientist isn’t reputable:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola

Joseph Michael Mercola (born 1954) is an alternative medicine proponent, osteopathic physician, and web entrepreneur, who markets a variety of controversial dietary supplements and medical devices through his website, Mercola.com.[1] Until 2013,[2] Mercola operated the "Dr. Mercola Natural Health Center" (formerly the "Optimal Wellness Center") in Schaumburg, Illinois.[3] He wrote the best-selling books The No-Grain Diet[4] (with Alison Rose Levy) and The Great Bird Flu Hoax. Mercola criticizes many aspects of standard medical practice, such as vaccination and what he views as overuse of prescription drugs and overuse of surgery to treat diseases. On his website mercola.com, Mercola and colleagues advocate a number of unproven alternative health notions including homeopathy, while promoting anti-vaccine positions. Mercola is a member of the political advocacy group Association of American Physicians and Surgeons as well as several alternative medicine organizations.[5]

lyutin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
What is wrong with what he said or writes or believes in? many people believe in alternative medicine. It works for some and not for others, even Steve Jobs believed in that. Didn’t help him with cancer, but for other things it might as well ha. Has nothing to do with believing in earth is flat theory...just saying.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
It’s not supported by scientific fact though, and he’s profiting from it. If he did scientific research and was published in peer reviewed journals then it would be acceptable.

If we’re going to be afraid of LTE technology, then placing it in a watch, and using Bluetooth low energy so the LTE is inactive most of the time is probably far better than placing the LTE tech in a phone and holding it to our heads.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I wouldn't worry about the :apple:Watch because I heard that electromagnetic radiation stated coming from the sun and we are all being exposed. Sounds like there must be a government conspiracy to cover this up.

Wear your :apple:Watch without fear but NEVER go outside during the day or you will be bombarded by massive amounts of electromagnetic radiation.

Reactions: lyutin and KrisLord

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
If the LTE were actually being used a lot I’d worry about it. And frankly since I not only wear my Apple Watch every day, but I expect to wear it or something like it touching my wrist exactly in that spot for the rest of my life, it think it makes sense to be cautious. But the LTE is really rarely used at all. And as long as the watch doesn’t get hot, then the amount of radiation is probably very small.

That said, I didn’t get the LTE version. Seemed like a waste of money to pay my carrier for that connection.

Reactions: tennisproha

ddrulez

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Germany
I will not use a cellphone watch. Way to risky. No one can say it’s not dangerous because there are no long term studies with hard evidence about it.
My brother got brain cancer and was working on a car ferry. Did he got it from the cars exhaust gases, cellphone or just bad luck?
We don’t know it but for me the risk of a cellphone on my wrist is way to high for me.

I will use my Apple Watch series 0 and 3 without LTE.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
I will not use a cellphone watch. Way to risky. No one can say it’s not dangerous because there are no long term studies with hard evidence about it.
My brother got brain cancer and was working on a car ferry. Did he got it from the cars exhaust gases, cellphone or just bad luck?
We don’t know it but for me the risk of a cellphone on my wrist is way to high for me.

I will use my Apple Watch series 0 and 3 without LTE.
I don't really understand why we draw the line at LTE when Bluetooth and WiFi are both present.

larmende

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Sp people wouldn't wear a watch but at the same time using a phone while holding it right next to their brain?

Reactions: KrisLord

ddrulez

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Germany
Sp people wouldn't wear a watch but at the same time using a phone while holding it right next to their brain?

You don’t have a phone always at your brain and there are problems holding a phone on your brain. That’s one reason why the signal strength is limited by government.
There are indeed signs that holding a phone for a long time isn’t good for your health but as far I know you have to make calls for hours to be affected and do this regular.
But a watch is always on your wrist I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Think about smoking. No one was thinking it could be bad for the body. And our generation will probably not get a answer on the phone radiation topic too.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It’s not supported by scientific fact though, and he’s profiting from it. If he did scientific research and was published in peer reviewed journals then it would be acceptable.

If we’re going to be afraid of LTE technology, then placing it in a watch, and using Bluetooth low energy so the LTE is inactive most of the time is probably far better than placing the LTE tech in a phone and holding it to our heads.
Also keep in mind the Watch only communicates with low power LTE signals - Rene Ritchie knows a bit more about this, but that is why sometimes the watch won’t connect when your phone does.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
You don’t have a phone always at your brain and there are problems holding a phone on your brain. That’s one reason why the signal strength is limited by government.
There are indeed signs that holding a phone for a long time isn’t good for your health but as far I know you have to make calls for hours to be affected and do this regular.
But a watch is always on your wrist I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Think about smoking. No one was thinking it could be bad for the body. And our generation will probably not get a answer on the phone radiation topic too.
Why are you concerned about LTE but not the microwave frequencies used by Bluetooth?

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Sure radiation is bad and the more you get the worse you are off. So avoid those dentist X-rays like a plague. :)

We also live at a time with the highest average lifespan of human beings ever. We will all die eventually. If that bothers you, follow a religion that propagates afterlife or rebirth - there are plenty to choose from.

If you are only remotely concerned about LTE then just that concern is going to cause stress that will shorten your life more than the LTE Watch itself.

If you are in doubt, just don’t get one.

Case closed.

porkrind

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Sure radiation is bad and the more you get the worse you are off. So avoid those dentist X-rays like a plague. :)

You gotta make the distinction between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation though.

Ionizing radiation (like X-rays, gamma rays,UV and the like) absolutely will cause damage to DNA and mess your **** up. Non-ionizing radiation just warms you up ever so slightly.

It’s possible that we discover some confirmed negative outcome to non-ionizing radiation exposure, but what then? We’re marinating in that kind of radiation from conception onward. Radio, TV, cosmic background radiation, WiFi, Bluetooth, microwaves, infrared... the list is enormous. And lifespans don’t seem to be getting shorter. You live long enough, you’re bound to get cancer eventually. Every single cell division is a crap shoot. If I get taken down like that, I’ll be enjoying my Bluetooth headphones all the way.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You gotta make the distinction between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation though.....
STOP making sense.:D All these people will then learn that visible light puts out the same radiation (just a higher frequency) as the LTE and be afraid to turn on a light since all radiation (even heat:eek:) is 'bad' and causes cancer.o_O

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 5.37.01 AM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.