'Apple Watch Series 3' Models Expected in Second Half of 2017 With September Launch Likely

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Brian Clifford macrumors regular

Brian Clifford

Very much a work in progress. Will be interesting to see how the Watch evolves.

2. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

I have a series 0 and the subsequent releases haven't convinced me enough to upgrade. I easily get a day out of the battery, which is all I need. My only to issue with the watch its unresponsiveness due to water/sweat. After a run or lifting weights, it often takes multiple attempts trying to end a workout on the watch. Having an always on display would be nice, but not necessary.

3. BSben macrumors 65816

Or just unlock it with your iPhone's Touch ID....

4. andrewface macrumors 6502

andrewface

5. Der Keyser macrumors regular

Der Keyser

Having a series 2 I find it hard to believe a series 3 will offer anything interesting in terms of hardware that I would want (no need for LTE)

On the software side however - chessus - the potential of the AW is huge - but it's crippled by watchOS. Where are all the proper fitness features like garmin's? Not even a stepcounter complication built in... come on, this is rediculous. Give us a LOT of fitness related options!

The same could be said for: watchfaces, podcasts, proper homekit, interaction with bluetooth devices.. fx: instant volume control for headphones on the crown, swipe in features from the left or right instead of other watchfaces and the list goes on.
    I really hope apple steps up with WatchOS4, but I know it won't happen. They are just to conservative on the software side. just look at how long things took on IOS.. :-(

I'm still very happy with my AW it's just awefully frustrating to know it could be soo much more if they would throtle up on WatchOS development.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

UnFortunately, that's how most touch capacitive screens are when your hands are moist, it has very little reaction or responsiveness to touching the display. There's really no other way behind that. You just have to dry your hands the best you can.

7. rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

I'm with you, you get it. Until the thing shatters, I'm using my gen 0.

8. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I wish I could try out a Series 2 watch. I bought a used Series 0 for $150 on a Facebook Yard Sale site and it has been just great for me.

I thought I needed the GPS, but since I got it I haven't gone on one outside run (end up on treadmill mostly because of back and knee issues), and I can't remember the last time I went swimming.

I've seen lots of people saying they regularly get the 0 wet and haven't had issues. I'm not about to start wearing it in the shower, but I don't stress about getting something splashed on it.

So, I would like to see if there is really some major benefit to the speed of the Series 2 because the Series 0 seems quite fine to me.

9. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

I figured as much, but with Apple marketing this as an exercise devise, coupled with their large R&D spending, they may be able to whip something up to solve the problem. It doesn't need to be a new screen, just a way to end the workout without having to swipe and press a couple buttons on the screen.

10. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

When do we get the redesign? Still waiting to purchase. I can't believe it's going to be the same design for 3 years, and that they would add cellular before redesigning. The thing is already chunky enough with little battery :eek:

11. 49JC macrumors member

Ive been contemplating getting a watch since the series 1. I may the only one, but im hoping for a slightly bigger display.

12. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I forgot about that. Will try doing that from now on.

13. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

You are absolutely right and its stupid, so APple if you read this please announce your new iPads soon like this Month or latest at WWDC.

14. Mrjoedot, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

Mrjoedot macrumors regular

Still....doesn't really need updates. It is understandable they want to make more money, but just new watch bands and colors will do

15. Tech198 macrumors G5

Who needs a mobile anymore when we have a watch.

We all want LTE on a watch, but when it hits, we think its too much ? Perhaps if using the same data plan and "add" the Apple watch to our would change your minds :D

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think one of the reasons they try to update the Watch, is to keep it refreshed and relevant in an uncertain wearable market. If they didn't update it, it might consider or look like the abandoned it from having newer hardware under the casing.

If they do release a Series 3 in September, my guess is it would be exactly what this rumor is with a film like display and an LTE option. And all the other ways obviously the refresh the watch, is by adding you Watch bands.

17. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Due to financial obligations, I'm still about 2-3 years away from purchasing my first Apple Watch. I also kind of like the idea of letting this product line stew just a little while longer before jumping in.

18. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

Want:

+Sleep tracking (software update?)
    +temp sensor
    +better battery life

19. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

The iPad line is the most streamlined it has been in recent years.
    [​IMG]
    Just saying.

20. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

The cereal aisle must be a real conundrum for the OP.

Wait until all of the band selections are thrown into the mix... :eek:

21. CVVH macrumors newbie

Yes. 2 days for a Watch is garbage.

My Pebble 2 does HR, and activities tracking, sleep tracking, is waterproof, always on display, gets notifications, can reply to text messages with voice dictation, lots of watchfaces to choose from, an opensource code to build your own apps, And gets at least week to ten days of battery life. And cost $100.

The bummer is a week after getting it, Pebble was bought out by FitBit and ended support for the watch hardware and software. So,...I expect at some point an iOS update is going to just brick my watch.

If Apple can meet those benchmarks, that's what I'm looking for. As it is Apple, $200 would be ok.

22. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

I had a Pebble before. The always on screen, being waterproof was great and 7 day battery life was awesome. That was it though. I thought Apple Watch would suck with a 2 day battery life and a screen that's not always on but you know what? it doesn't suck.

It does everything far superior to the Pebble and always on screen isn't a problem because the screen comes on virtually instantly when you want to look at it. Series 2 is waterproof.

The only thing left is battery life! Apple could improve it. Such as when it's taken off the wrist or no movement for a long period time. Why is it still draining battery? Disable WIFI, Bluetooth, reduce the CPU (idle mode?) automatically. As soon as movement is detected turn everything on.

Pebble did that quite well with the Time Steel (disabling bluetooth when stationary).

23. Minok, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

Minok macrumors newbie

Round size does look nice, but its a consequence of mechanical clock hand movement with no need for the corners. Maximizing usable face space is a good thing.

But the watch series 9, 23, 99 135 and so on will still be non-starters if it doesn't do something I would benefit from.

Making calls? Really? Folks barely do that with the PHONES at present. For a 911 emergency call one doesn't need a data plan, so if it can do that, they can sell it as a safety feature, which is good.

Text messages... good too, but really, a new data plan for that? If this cannot piggy back on your existing iPhone data plan, its a non-starter for data usage.

The walking guidance and vibrations via maps is marginally decent. The biggest benefit I can see in any of these is as a payment system in place of having go dig out the iphone and stick it into the drive-through window. For vending machines, ticket systems on transit.. places where pulling out a phone is just not warranted and maybe risky.

Medical is still the big potential. Having it monitor heart rate, and other bioparameters that can share with your physicians is a good goal - if HIPA doesn't block effective use as its done in the reverse direction (try getting a message from your doctor without going through several layers of security)

But in the end battery life is key. I've got a watch that tells time, temp (skin temp), pressure, compass direction, altitude, and it NEVER needs a charge as it is charged by light. And thats 2006 tech (or older). Older watches might need a battery replaced every few years. And these things need a nightly charge and use batteries that won't hold a charge well after 2-4 years and the battery isn't easily replaced? Nonstarter.

Cannot use it to evaluate sleep (because its charging)... thats a problem.

24. smoledman macrumors 68000

25. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Why? What are your expectations, given this is completely rumored at this point?