Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
It's really too bad that the Watch3 isn't a spectacular device. I would love to one day have a reliable Apple Watch without a phone in my pocket.

(And hopefully Apple has addressed the cellular waves so close to skin. Don't need the cancer.)

People still think cell phone give cancer? Where's the flat earth society to back them up?

bosatsu

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2015
Tokyo
And who would be making calls on their Apple Watch for half a day? Seems like cellular models are mostly for runners who want to be able to run without their phone. Even then how frequently would you be running where you needed to make calls on your watch so long that it would significantly drain the battery?

Exactly. That´s my take too.
I´ll be using it when riding my bike, if something ever happens while outside, having the option of making a call is something I´m willing to pay for.

Other scenarios where you can leave you iphone behind and use this function: hiking, going to the sea, theme park, just to grab some beers.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
I'm ordering the gps only version.

I'm not a runner or swimmer. I do workout but my phone is with me because that's how I log my sets and reps.

I'm never without my phone or too far away from it. And if I had the LTE version, I still wouldn't want to leave my phone behind for a very good reason. I like to take photos. I don't want to be somewhere without the ability to capture a shot, send a snap, post something to instagram. I like to document what I see or things happening around me, and leaving my phone behind eliminates that possibility.

That's my use case. YMMV.

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Ya Apple who not only dominates the smartwatch market but now is the worlds largest top selling watchmaker doesn't understand the product

Whatever works for you, but I don't really need to know my heart rate at all times. Unless someone has a condition like afib etc. (for which they are probably already on a monitor of some kind, or a pacemaker, etc.) I don't understand this, at all. It seems to be a manufactured "need" that doesn't really exist.

I also know what my activity information is because I was there and I remember what I did.

I never use Siri to send messages, and hardly use it at all anyway because it's unreliable. Try Alexa/Echo sometime and you'll never want to use Siri again. Also, I don't really ever want anyone around me to overhear what messages I'm sending. The only time that would be useful is in the car, but again I don't need a watch for that.

I do not understand this product and it looks like Apple doesn't either.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I'll say it again if you are a serious athlete you don't use an apple watch.

You may not have one at all but if you do 9 times out ten it's a reliable Garmin.

What percent of serious athletes doesn't have one at all??? What percent have an UNreliable Garmin?

Realistically, if you're a serious athlete, you certainly didn't want one before it had a GPS which was barely 12 months ago. I think you'll have to wait a bit before those serious athletes need a new health tracker and consider it. But until that happens the numbers certainly aren't going to change super fast, right?

And what percent of the watch market is "serious athletes" vs. what percentage of the watch market that Apple has captured?

Chiguy12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
Chicago
WOW, I didn't see these negative reviews coming. Very disappointing. I was more excited for the watch over the new 8+. Now I am wondering if I will even accept delivery. :(.

When Apple Watch Series 1 came out the verge came out with a similar video and said wow look how fast the SS smudges (they really zoomed into the watch and it looked like someone spilled grease all over), how easily it gets scratched. After seeing that video I switched my order to aluminum AW. Then replaced it with a SS within 30 day. Point is I’m never listening to the clowns at the Verge again. I think they overhype their bad reviews. First she tries using lte in the middle of the ocean and then she complains about battery life. If you really think LTE will work in the middle of the ocean you shouldn’t be writing tech reviews. Also if you think a tiny watch will last all day on LTE then you must be as dumb as a door knob and not understand technology. I personally never find their reviews to be fair and it seems like they test it for the wrong reasons to prove some point that they know will be over hyped. Headlines: Apple Watch will not work in the middle of the ocean #fakenews

ceparker27

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
I'm good with my decision to snag a S2 for now. Even with some of the issues though, this is the right direction. I can see the S4 being a real game-changer if they can figure out these issues though, particularly the battery.

Or if Apple figures out non-invasive glucose monitoring, in which case game over, Apple wins life.

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
My iPhone is a better smart device than Apple Watch and my $50.00 analog "dumb" watch is a better watch than Apple Watch.

It's one of those "I don't know why this exists" products imo.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
When Apple Watch Series 1 came out the verge came out with a similar video and said wow look how fast the SS smudges (they really zoomed into the watch and it looked like someone spilled grease all over), how easily it gets scratched. After seeing that video I switched my order to aluminum AW. Then replaced it with a SS within 30 day. Point is I’m never listening to the clowns at the Verge again. I think they overhype their bad reviews. First she tries using lte in the middle of the ocean and then she complains about battery life. If you really think LTE will work in the middle of the ocean you shouldn’t be writing tech reviews. Also if you think a tiny watch will last all day on LTE then you must be as dumb as a door knob and not understand technology. I personally never find their reviews to be fair and it seems like they test it for the wrong reasons to prove some point that they know will be over hyped. Headlines: Apple Watch will not work in the middle of the ocean #fakenews
Great post!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I think they overhype their bad reviews. First she tries using lte in the middle of the ocean and then she complains about battery life. If you really think LTE will work in the middle of the ocean you shouldn’t be writing tech reviews.
It's a bit harsh complaining about "overhype" and then exaggerating that the test took place "in the middle of the ocean" when it actually took place near to the shore (which is where I assume most people surf anyway).
I wasn’t very far from shore, but the Watch vacillated between one bar of service and being disconnected entirely.

Also, Apple think it should work just just fine...

Verita

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Atlanta/London
Do any of you that workout outdoors have a strap-on belt for your phones? I feel like these belts are amazing because I can run with the belt on and not even notice it's there. I keep other stuff inside my belt like Gu packs and my ID + insurance card when I'm running long distance so it has a multi-purpose use. For these reasons, I can run with my S2 AND my phone and have no qualms about wanting to upgrade to an S3 + LTE.
Amen brother, you’ve got the optimal strategy! The waterproof, streamlined fanny packs you can get on Amazon store a bunch of stuff that I would argue are essential to long-distance running, don’t bounce, don’t make you extra sweaty, and will keep you from having to pay for a ridiculous Apple Watch network plan.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This looks like Apple rushing a product out so they can say they were the first
They're not the first, Samsung beat them to the punch. They rolled out an LTE capable smart watch last year or the year before. I believe there may be other Android watches that also include LTE, but I know for a fact Samsung has had one for a little while.

Verita

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Atlanta/London
I wonder what you’re imagining when you say she swim out to the middle of the ocean. Yes, it started dropping signal around Bermuda.

Since your ocean is Lake Michigan, would you be happy to take a boat cruise along the city front and have no signal on your phone?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
People still think cell phone give cancer? Where's the flat earth society to back them up?
Then why do they list the RF frequencies?

People once thought smoking was fine.

Point is, phones may or may not cause cancer from close proximity to the cell receivers/projectors. I just happen to think there may be a problem. It's okay if you disagree.

slothinker

Contributor
Nov 28, 2012

Apple Watch Series 3 reviews are out, and the verdict is mixed about its new built-in cellular capabilities and the impact on battery life.

apple-watch-series-3-verge.jpg

Apple Watch Series 3 via The Verge

The Verge editor Lauren Goode said her Apple Watch Series 3 largely "failed at the LTE part," particularly due to an issue where the watch would connect to an unknown Wi-Fi network instead of LTE.Apple acknowledged the issue and said it is investigating a fix that will be included in a future software update.

Goode said the one aspect "worth two thumbs up" is watchOS 4, especially for its improved heart rate tracking.TechCrunch editor Brian Heater said the Apple Watch Series 3's cellular capabilities are "a bit liberating," but he didn't find many scenarios where having a standalone connection was particularly useful.The Wall Street Journal columnist Joanna Stern said her Apple Watch Series 3's cellular connection was "unreliable" and "intermittent."Stern added that "you're lucky if the battery allows you to roam on cellular for longer than half a day--especially if you're making calls."

The Sydney Morning Herald's Peter Wells didn't share that viewpoint, calling battery life on the Apple Watch Series 3 "excellent." Daring Fireball's John Gruber was impressed with the Apple Watch's phone call audio quality and didn't mention any connectivity issues.The New York Times reporter Brian X. Chen said the Apple Watch Series 3 is the first smartwatch he can recommend people buy.Wired writer David Pierce said the Apple Watch 3's performance "feels dramatically better than any previous Watch."

More Reviews: The Loop, CNET, Financial Post, 9to5Mac, Mashable, The Independent, and USA Today

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Reviews: Freedom From iPhone Held Back by LTE and Battery Life Concerns
[doublepost=1506036902][/doublepost]It's not just $1,000 for the iPhone X ... you can without much difficulty spend nearly as much to get the new Apple watch. Or, if you act soon, you can get almost as good for a lot less. That's what I did....

As an early 2015 adopter with a Series 0 stainless steel Apple Watch (AW), I was planning on upgrading to the Series 3. Three things gave me pause: 1) To get a Series 3 AW stainless with my preferred black Milanese band required buying the LTE version. As far as I could figure the cost, with California tax, would have priced out at more than $950 ... not counting the $120/month I'd need to pay AT&T for away-from-my-$1,000-iPhone service. Sigh. Somehow paying ~$250/year for a watch over three years seems high. 2) This is a nit, but I already have a perfectly fine Milanese band. I think Apple should have found a way to provide the mechanism without a band and give pioneer customers a $75 break. 3) Another nit: why can't you buy a stainless AW without LTE?

A solution: Since the Apple Series 2 watch -- which Apple thoughtfully discontinued in favor of its earlier, slower, Series 1 model -- is just a bit slower than the Series 3, offers the model in stainless casing without LTE and costs these days $200-$300 less than a comparable stainless Series 3 model from vendors like Target, I went there. Actually I went to B&H in New York City but Target is still has these models advertised. I also luckily found a new black Milanese 42mm band on EBay _new_ form $119. Again, these are out there, perhaps slightly used.

I'll take my ~$400 savings on the watch and apply it to the iPhone X in March when my AT&T 30 month plan on my iPhone 6S is over. Then sell the Series 0 watch and iPhone 6S for, I hope, $350-$400. If this works out the two-year upgrade net cost should be between $300 and $400. Hope so, anyway.

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I could be mistaken, but I don’t think you have to activate the LTE on the AW3 w/LTE. I presume it will then operate the same as an AW3 w/o LTE. Don’t know how the pricing on the upper-tier AW3s compared to that of the the earlier series, but it doesn’t seem like a big deal that you have to buy an AW with LTE if you want a case other than aluminum. That said, I’m surprised Apple opted to only offer LTE in the upper-tier models - I would have expected more of an iPad style of pricing where you have to pay just enough to make you think it might be worth it even if you don’t plan on using the cellular capabilities.

Verita

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Atlanta/London
My confusion - the thread

Lol - strava is a public athletic forum. if you knew anything about sports perhaps you'd already know that.

but sure "your friends" use an apple watch but you can't back up that data with a link or two.
Wow, teach me about sports, little bossy man!

Why would I subject my network of friends to your probing? I'm more interested in keeping you ignorant about AW impact in athletic circles!

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Laura is a female tech blogger that you're holding to a higher standard than her male counterparts.

This type of comment is disgusting when there is no specific evidence of its truthfulness, as is the case here. It also distracts from real sexism, which does exist and which should be called out. Worse, it suggests that female bloggers are delicate flowers that should be immune to criticism, lest someone assume — as you have — that the same criticism wouldn’t be leveled at a male blogger.

Especially in today’s political climate, I respectfully suggest that accusations of this type of bias should not be made lightly.

Reactions: Breezygirl

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
What is considered “up to the level of premium watches”? Since when is Apple Watch supposed to replace premium watches? Seems to me the target for Apple Watch is people who stopped wearing watches (or didn’t wear expensive watches) not the premium watch market.
They have premium computers and mobile phones. I would expect the same in watches as well. With premium not referring to superluxury 20k Rolex of course. Just something a bit less engineerish if you will.

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
To me the article scores about 4 or a little less than their review of the watch.

Newsflash for anyone who has been to Manhattan where the Verge headquarters are, hardly any cellphones on ATT work well at all. Try using google maps or keep a phone call without dropping for more than 5 minutes and you will be peeing all over yourself with joy. I guarantee had they brought another cell phone on the ATT network as a direct comparison like anyone with a tech background would, it most certainly would have been plagued with a similarly poor connection.

The other problem is all the known networks on the test watch paired phone that are secured with a password in the area. If the phone isn't there the password does not unlock and the watch hunts in desperation. Forgetting all the silly networks around town before pairing the watch for testing seems to be an oversight that anyone who has had cell wifi issues before would prepare for.

The final completely dopey comment about battery life had me in stitches. Even smart watches are for glances literally and figuratively at this point but it is changing. I logged 2 days of use with exactly a 1 hour call before my watch went dead and the cellular handshake between wireless and cellular has been flawless. Next time bring a phone that is not connected to the watch so there can be a relatively unbiased even-handed assessment. Also bring a reviewer that understands the watch is not a phone replacement yet because the battery tech has not advanced far enough yet.

And finally if you lived on the isle Manhattan I would say a 5 out of 10 is generous. We are talking the 1% here.

I would be very interested in an extensive review of Verge Media's financial holdings and other investments. They seem to nakedly capitalize on negatives and not in the pursuit of good unbiased journalism.

Last edited:

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
What's wrong with the MacBook? I think it is a great design and it is selling well.

Seriously what is wrong??
- you need to get several adapters in order to use your existing stuff (USB3, HDMI, etc)
- Not able to connect your own iPhone
- Problems with Battery
- Overpriced (more expensive, less compatible)
- A pro computer limited to 16 GB Ram.
- The removal of the Mag-Safe one of the best features from the macbooks.

The Macbook Pro was one of the most expected and worst receive by everyone. I personally know many people that bought one and return them within a week.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Seriously what is wrong??
- you need to get several adapters in order to use your existing stuff (USB3, HDMI, etc)
- Not able to connect your own iPhone
- Problems with Battery
- Overpriced (more expensive, less compatible)
- A pro computer limited to 16 GB Ram.
- The removal of the Mag-Safe one of the best features from the macbooks.

The Macbook Pro was one of the most expected and worst receive by everyone. I personally know many people that bought one and return them within a week.
Rising Mac sales suggest that whiners like you are in the minority. The move to USB-C was entirely expected. And no MacBook Pro ever had more than 16GB. It is an Intel limitation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.