Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Good move by Apple. They know that people over 65 do not wear Apple watches.

This a statement not backed up by any evidence and frankly, is useless. And I can tell you firsthand, visit the Apple Watch forum on this site, and you can read various threads where a multitude of geriatrics over 65 that have an Apple Watch and have already mentioned how this feature would be pivotal to them. You seem to undermine technology and how it can be beneficial for those who are even older.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I am going to go out here on a limb and state my obversations on this feature and AppleWatch Series 4. Generally most elderly people have poor eyesight/vision, not all however most. Even with the increased size of Series 4, an elderly persons hand and finger dexterity can be less than precise (not all however most). Given that WatchOS is simpler than most to navigate, it still has quite a bit to go to make it elderly friendly. Many elderly people do not understand new/er technology advances (there may be some exceptions to this). Fall detection is great for certain age groups (most can benefit), however given the above how quickly will an elderly person even dismiss false positives.

Granted that usually some tech enthusiast family member or an Apple Store employee will configure these devices, my understanding is that most elderly people end up confused or lost in mobile technology. I am having a hard time understanding who this feature and device is really for. People who are genuinely fit, don’t require a device to get them moving (which includes me), for those who need some digital encouragement great, however would that not be better suited for a larger device such as a phone or even something smaller like a FitBit at a fraction of the cost.

If you are an elderly person the technology has to seamlessly integrate into your lifestyle with zero or minimal learning curve, most will not even use half the power of what Series 4 will offer let along prior models. If it was a simple device with a single button that has this algorithm built into it that would be great. Press button for help, press twice to cancel, has a red light that falshes when activated for help and can detect Falls and provide a voice prompt.

It is not great to age, your vision, hearing, dexterity, balance, etc take a severe hit. Cognition may also be affected, though that is not always the case. Usually the elderly do not have time to invest in complex technology, most will try if their cannot figure it out, their tend to forget and not try again.

Define "elderly." Many people who are 65 or older that I know are highly adept with technology. It depends more on socio-economic status and background than age.

Though Apples marketing tells us that every elderly person is some Apple tech enthusiasts and raves about the AppleWatch, in reality most don’t receive enough of a pension or social security and struggle on a daily basis to obtain food, housing, clothing, medical, dental, etc. I am sure the AppleWatch is not on their priority of things in their remaining years.

I am curious to hear people’s thoughts on this.

Again, it depends. I know a lot of older folks who are well able to afford Apple Watches and other devices while spending within their means. Given their low aggregate savings rate, many young people would be better off investing money for retirement than buying new iPhones or other expensive tech annually.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
My grandfather passed away last week because of an accidental fall. So sad right now as if this could have saved his life.
This really, really isn’t the way Apple should be marketing their products. The combination of disclaimers that the heart monitor and fall detection are intended as medical grade products along with marketing of the same as potentially life saving is a very dodgy ethical minefield.

dhoerl

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
I bought a new watch Friday. Saturday I went to the Jersey Shore, and as I was setting up the beach chairs my watch vibrated and said it detected I’d fallen and was going to call 911 in 10 seconds if I did not cancel. Call me totally un-impressed.

Reactions: boomer11

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Well, you see, that's the brilliance of this feature ... for Apple. Now tons of Apple Watches will be sold as "babysitters" to children of aging parents.

My mom fell at the care home the other day, and this feature may have alerted me directly, and sooner than the staff at the home were alerted.

While the Apple watch can be a great tool, it still needs to be adopted and for it to be adopted the wearer needs an iPhone. I don't know the exact demographics on iPhone vs other brands but I do know we are just now nearing 50% of 65+ owning a smartphone. There's still half of that range that needs to adopt into all of it and given that the ones who are more independent are more likely to adopt into a smartphone than the ones in a care facility, it's going to be a potentially expensive process.

Secondly Apple's attempt to compete in this market faces the same challenges as it's competitors, getting them to actually use it. These type of sensors for falls have been around for a while but those that have them don't maintain consistent daily use of them. Working Rescue, we rarely get toned out for reported falls and when we do get one it's been more times than not a false alert. Usually it's from someone (staff/neighbor) finding them.

I'm not here to discount the technology by any means as I've seen care facility staff reflect their low pay with low care effort but this is still an uphill battle as it's going to take adoption and trust that it's going to work. These people get very bugged after you show up to their floor for another false alert and it continues to discourage its use.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
What about people younger than 65 with disabilities? Apple making poor UX decisions once again.

If you are in that category, simply turn the falls detect feature on. Easy.

Though I know, that sort of common sense approach doesn't lend itself to yet another forum cred-building Apple smack. Keep wearing those blinders, oblivious to the underlying reasoning and motivation with respect to Apple's decision.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
You don't live close to me then! I'm 74 and have the AW4 upgraded from the AW3 specifically for the fall detection and upcoming egg

Ouch that's an expensive upgrade. I have a KardiaBand on my Series 3 and it's been great, not much supplement for fall detection directly in the watch though, only necklaces/bracelets so I definitely feel your pain of that cost despite potential value.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What about people younger than 65 with disabilities? Apple making poor UX decisions once again.

They can simply enable it. It’s a GOOD ux decision since young active healthy people are likely to accidentally trigger fall detections and older people are not.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Ouch that's an expensive upgrade. I have a KardiaBand on my Series 3 and it's been great, not much supplement for fall detection directly in the watch though, only necklaces/bracelets so I definitely feel your pain of that cost despite potential value.
No pain involved! :)
I'm working on a plan to spend my last dollar as they throw the last shovel of dirt on me at the end!
Actually I was surprised that there was no fall app for the AW3, or at least not one for the types of falls I envisioned. There was/is(?) an app for falling off a ladder or some such for the iPhone, nada for the Watch. And while I'm sure there will be quite a few false falls calling 911, it will probably be no worse/better than the other fall devices we see advertised on TV. My local emergency services tell me that they would rather make visit on a false call than just to miss one.

And it is important to me. I remember when one of my neighbors lived alone and fell on a Saturday and no one knew until Sunday night when her son dropped by for a quick visit. Like me, she lived alone and no one made daily visits to check up on her. Fortunately for her she survived the broken hip that caused the fall.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
They can simply enable it. It’s a GOOD ux decision since young active healthy people are likely to accidentally trigger fall detections and older people are not.

Exactly, this is a safety net for those people that are going to fall down and stay down. Not doubting the people who are at risk below this level but the inherit risks at that age group go up exponentially and the risk of infection and disability is far greater from even a simple fall with prolonged down time.

There's already two posted incidents about Fall Detection being set off from regular activity. While it would be great to have it on by default out of the box for everyone, it can also become a disturbance to ambulatory people having a close call/doing something that the watch detects as a fall. Also the target age group of 65+ usually like easy set it and forget it things, which is what draws them to the iOS ecosystem in general so not having to think one thought about it besides knowing from marketing that it's there is a nice peace of mind for them I feel.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dug-******-with-my-series-4.2141455/#post-26553008

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fall-detection-triggered.2141121/#post-26547735
[doublepost=1537798039][/doublepost]
No pain involved! :)
I'm working on a plan to spend my last dollar as they throw the last shovel of dirt on me at the end!
Actually I was surprised that there was no fall app for the AW3, or at least not one for the types of falls I envisioned. There was/is(?) an app for falling off a ladder or some such for the iPhone, nada for the Watch. And while I'm sure there will be quite a few false falls calling 911, it will probably be no worse/better than the other fall devices we see advertised on TV. My local emergency services tell me that they would rather make visit on a false call than just to miss one.

And it is important to me. I remember when one of my neighbors lived alone and fell on a Saturday and no one knew until Sunday night when her son dropped by for a quick visit. Like me, she lived alone and no one made daily visits to check up on her. Fortunately for her she survived the broken hip that caused the fall.

I've never once been mad that I got interrupted for an uneventful 911 call so I have no worries that will be an issue.

PhillyProf

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
Philly
I am going to go out here on a limb and state my obversations on this feature and AppleWatch Series 4. Generally most elderly people have poor eyesight/vision, not all however most. Even with the increased size of Series 4, an elderly persons hand and finger dexterity can be less than precise (not all however most). Given that WatchOS is simpler than most to navigate, it still has quite a bit to go to make it elderly friendly. Many elderly people do not understand new/er technology advances (there may be some exceptions to this). Fall detection is great for certain age groups (most can benefit), however given the above how quickly will an elderly person even dismiss false positives.

Granted that usually some tech enthusiast family member or an Apple Store employee will configure these devices, my understanding is that most elderly people end up confused or lost in mobile technology. I am having a hard time understanding who this feature and device is really for. People who are genuinely fit, don’t require a device to get them moving (which includes me), for those who need some digital encouragement great, however would that not be better suited for a larger device such as a phone or even something smaller like a FitBit at a fraction of the cost.

If you are an elderly person the technology has to seamlessly integrate into your lifestyle with zero or minimal learning curve, most will not even use half the power of what Series 4 will offer let along prior models. If it was a simple device with a single button that has this algorithm built into it that would be great. Press button for help, press twice to cancel, has a red light that falshes when activated for help and can detect Falls and provide a voice prompt.

It is not great to age, your vision, hearing, dexterity, balance, etc take a severe hit. Cognition may also be affected, though that is not always the case. Usually the elderly do not have time to invest in complex technology, most will try if their cannot figure it out, their tend to forget and not try again.

Though Apples marketing tells us that every elderly person is some Apple tech enthusiasts and raves about the AppleWatch, in reality most don’t receive enough of a pension or social security and struggle on a daily basis to obtain food, housing, clothing, medical, dental, etc. I am sure the AppleWatch is not on their priority of things in their remaining years.

I am curious to hear people’s thoughts on this.
[doublepost=1537754463][/doublepost]

I concur, the G-force and length of fall would not trigger Fall Detection if the algorithm is good. Besides you can always turn it off when boarding these rides if it is of a concern.
[doublepost=1537754543][/doublepost]

I believe ECG is also not available until later this year. All this fuss over a larger screen with more complications. I have had some hard falls in my time, never required the assistance of feature or emergency such as this. Even light to moderate activity will strengthen the body to recover quickly. Which I guess is good for any wearable device to encourage a healthier lifestyle, however if you were already healthy prior to Series 0 introduction or even the FitBit, it may just offer an expensive encouragement at most.

I'm almost 71, a tech enthusiast, active and fit physically. I have a Series 0 and have the Series 4 on order. Once I heard about the new health features (including ECG and fall detection), the new screen size, and the other improvements, I knew I had to upgrade.

The Activity app on the watch is a terrific motivator for me. I've had a sedentary job for over 40 years, and any encouragement to get off my duff is welcome. Though I haven't fallen for a couple of years (slipping on a plastic bag that flew at my feet on a windy day), I do worry about getting knocked off my bike by a curb, a trolley track, a pothole, or a car.

Apple is not aiming ANY of its devices at elderly folks who have limited income, so that argument is a red herring. The market for the Apple Watch is limited in any case; so many people don't want to spend upwards of $400 on something that has to be paired with an expensive iPhone. But, for me, it's three cheers for Apple to have these new features! If you don't need a watch to be active and fit, that's great. For me, it's been great to have an Apple Watch for 3.5 years. And it might be a lifesaver.
[doublepost=1537799733][/doublepost]
My mother is considering buying these for her parents because of this feature.

At almost 71, I've had one for 3.5 years. Maybe I hang with an older crowd than you, but I know there are others in the 65+ crowd who have one.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Rollercoaster falls also have at totally different force pattern than tripping or slipping. Probably wouldn't activate in the first place.

Sudden rapid descent, combined with a sudden stop, as well as little to no movement afterward, is what it likely looks at, at a minimum. You would not see those same characteristics in an amusement park ride. So I agree, I doubt they would cause an alert to happen.

I suspect that emergency services will likely be receiving an increase in false positive calls though, related to this new feature.

Last edited:

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Hmmm. On mine when I first setup my new Apple Watch 4, when it asks you all the questions on what features you want to enable or not, it also asked if I wanted to enable fall prevention and warned that it can go on more easily if you are heavily active. I never had to manually go into any settings to enable it. Is this not the case for others? I was using the beta on my series 3 but believe my series 4 is the default version.
[doublepost=1537807651][/doublepost]
Will this feature work in the case of a bad car accident?
Only if you "fall" out of the car. This feature detects falling, not sudden stops.

rblom71

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Orlando, Florida
Seeing pretty much everyone, including myself, failing to get it to detect a fall, why not add a setting allowing you to change how sensitive it should be when to detect falls? And combining it with the heart monitor....

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
The fall detection is based on accelerometer and gyroscope. It shouldn't matter how you brace yourself or what body part hits the ground or how tense you are.

You can't seriously believe the watch knows when you're faking it. BTW some of falls on YouTube are exaggerated just to try to activate the thing. If those aren't detected then I have serious doubts tripping and falling in your house will reliably work....

I absolutely expect it to recognize the difference between a real fall and a fake fall.. That's kind of the while point. Good hardware with good algorithms can do impressive things.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
A new market Apple wants to "break" into.

All these health apps are great but my granddad can't even program a clock radio.
same here every time the power goes out my folks call to reset clocks on the oven and microwave and VCR.

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I bought a new watch Friday. Saturday I went to the Jersey Shore, and as I was setting up the beach chairs my watch vibrated and said it detected I’d fallen and was going to call 911 in 10 seconds if I did not cancel. Call me totally un-impressed.

Yeah, not buying that. The watch will wait ONE minute before it will call 911, and only if it didn't detect motion during that minute.
[doublepost=1537822920][/doublepost]
Seeing pretty much everyone, including myself, failing to get it to detect a fall, why not add a setting allowing you to change how sensitive it should be when to detect falls? And combining it with the heart monitor....

Penalty because the algorithm is finely tuned, and if you could adjust it yourself or would result in way too many false positives.

Iowa50125

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
I have been on crutches since I received my AW4 on Friday. So far, the Fall Detection has gone off 5 times and considering I have not fallen (yet) I can say this feature has not been tested throughly, at least not with crutches. Apple Support has had me turn the watch on and off, next time they had me unpair and re-pair. Last time they had me unpair and then set up as new. None of these have resulted in any better performance. Senior Support says I am the first to report such an incident and they are mildly curious as to why the watch is behaving in this fashion. They have offered to look at the watch; but that involves them sending me a box, me sending it to them, their doing an analysis and then sending me back either a defective watch or the same watch. And they estimated that would take around 2 weeks, which is past my return date. With any luck I will be off the crutches, before Apple figures it out. Meanwhile I have had do disable the feature.

One other interesting thing to note is Apple insists there are 3 options you are given after Fall Detection has gone off. 1) call 911 2) I fell but I am OK and 3) I did not fall. The 3rd option has never appeared. It is possible that one has to scroll down the page to see it, but that certainly is not intuitive. I noticed that the image of the fall detection at the top of this article does not show the 3rd option, although it talks about it. I would assume if the 3rd option were actually available that it might learn to disregard that pattern and would not trip again for the same reason.

Meanwhile I have to decide if I want them to analyze the watch or return it and try another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.