Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Mechanical Watches and wearable tech are entirely different markets. Wearable tech is more of a superflourous commodity, but it's gained significant popularity over the years. I also favor my Apple Watches over my other Watches, which does everything I need and more.

Certainly. However you’ve surely noted the effort Apple went through to establish the Apple Watch as a real piece of horological significance. That portends little stylistic adjustment for some time ahead.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I'm keeping my Series 2 till next year and skipping the Series 3 this time around, I expect the Series 4 to have new health sensors and perhaps an improved more accurate and advanced heart rate sensor and a longer lasting battery as well as a new slimmer form factor. A Higher resolution display would be a plus. I'll be upgrading next year for sure. I normally upgrade every year but i don't plan on using the Cellular feature and selling my 42mm Stainless Steel Series 2 Apple watch just for the sake of slightly improved performance and losing out a big chunk of money in the process doesn't make much sense and thats why i'll be skipping the Series 3, i certainly look forward to the Series 4 Apple Watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave245

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I'm keeping my Series 2 till next year and skipping the Series 3 this time around, I expect the Series 4 to have new health sensors and perhaps an improved more accurate and advanced heart rate sensor and a longer lasting battery as well as a new improved form factor. A Higher resolution display wouldn't be surprising either. I'll be upgrading next year for sure. I normally upgrade every year but i don't plan on using the Cellular feature and selling my 42mm Stainless Steel Series 2 Apple watch just for the sake of slightly improved performance and losing out a big chunk of money in the process doesn't make much sense and thats why i'll be skipping the Series 3, i look forward to the Series 4 very much.
If I had a series 2 and didn’t need cellular I wouldn’t upgrade to series 3. I upgraded from series 0 to series 3. I will not upgrade for at least 3 yrs no matter what upgrades come next. The series 3 meets all my needs.

everythingapplerainbow

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
What are you opinions on there being a Series 4 of the Apple Watch next year? do you think Apple will update them every year now or will they wait 2 years? If there is a new Apple Watch next year what do you think they will add to it?

New design?
battery battery life?
more health sensors?

The Series 3 selling point this year seemed to be LTE and independence from the iPhone, i wonder what next years model will bring. I currently have a Series 0 and apart from battery life it is serving me well so i might just wait until the Series 4.
pairing Apple Watch with iPad, so more people can use homekit even without an iPhone

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I would expect a significant upgrade, with at least a form factor change.

Apple Watch uses a Qualcomm LTE modem introduced in 2014. There's a big potential for power savings if Apple updates the modem in any way.

Apple is also using flexible PCBs in iPhone X to save space. They're doing the same for AirPods. You can expect them to apply that to Watch.

More space means more sensors, battery, or even a camera.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Certainly. However you’ve surely noted the effort Apple went through to establish the Apple Watch as a real piece of horological significance. That portends little stylistic adjustment for some time ahead.

I also see it as a trend or Shift in the technological world we live in now. Ten years ago, the Apple Watch wasn't even a thought and as for the future, it's aiming at more health orientated features like glucose monitoring. That's what will make the Watch a game changer more than it is now. But for the time being, the Apple Watch is going through a maturation process.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
There may be but, it won’t be hugely better than the series 3 imo. Not enough to make series 3 owners upgrade.
That’s what people said about S3 vs S2, yet the difference is pretty notable. There may not be a huge single killer feature (except for LTE, which I personally consider merely a nice bonus), but all the small improvements add up nicely.

Thus I’m sure I’ll be far from being the only one who will update from S3 to S4 next year.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
It has reached the point of plateau. It does everything you would need.

The only thing they could do is add or change:

1. better battery life (xiaomi (amazfit bip) make one that lasts for 45 days! on a single charge)
2. thinner
3. faster processor
4. additional sensors

or

1. completely new design incorporating the features above while working with existing straps

I don't think they will change the strap design simply because it's brilliant and the straps are making them a ton of money (huge markup, cheap to make) usual Apple :)

Seriously, Apple's first watch had a better strap removal system than any other traditional watch. Amazing really! Probably one of their greatest designs!

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
That’s what people said about S3 vs S2, yet the difference is pretty notable. There may not be a huge single killer feature (except for LTE, which I personally consider merely a nice bonus), but all the small improvements add up nicely.

Thus I’m sure I’ll be far from being the only one who will update from S3 to S4 next year.
No doubt you are correct. I went from S0 To S3 and it was huge. I believe future OS updates wiil further improve the S3 making it less compelling for S3 owners to justify updating to S4.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Modest upgrades are what Apple has been doing for years.
I dont see the previous watch updates being modest at all.

S0 to S2/0 added GPS (huge) and a muc brighter screen, among other improvements. And S3 with LTE (even with the limitations and battery hit) and streaming Apple Music is a game changer for many. I’ve upgraded each year and haven’t had any regrets, other than the getting the battery to last long enough on long run days, and the cost of LTE service.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Does anyone know if there are any changes in work out features between the Series 0 and the Series 3? I run a lot but I do have to take my iPhone with me (unfortunately) it’s the only time I want to leave it at home tho which is why I haven’t upgraded to Series 3 since I won’t use the LTE function.

The other thing that would be good is being able to go for a run with my songs streaming from Apple Watch rather than iPhone but without needing LTE.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Does anyone know if there are any changes in work out features between the Series 0 and the Series 3? I run a lot but I do have to take my iPhone with me (unfortunately) it’s the only time I want to leave it at home tho which is why I haven’t upgraded to Series 3 since I won’t use the LTE function.

The other thing that would be good is being able to go for a run with my songs streaming from Apple Watch rather than iPhone but without needing LTE.
You can stream music from watch by installing play lists on the watch and using Bluetooth headphones.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
You can stream music from watch by installing play lists on the watch and using Bluetooth headphones.

I do have the AirPods but i didn't know i could put playlists on my Apple Watch :eek:

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California

The Series 2 and 3 have a swimming workout as they are waterproof - it counts laps and the type of swimming stroke based on the accelerometer.

PPCmike

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2012
I have owned my Series 3 for 3 weeks now. Can't believe how much I use this and enjoy it. I got the GPS edition because I didn't want to pay $50 extra and $10/mo (x2 cuz my wife got an AW3 as well).

Amazing how many people I meet who have series 1, etc... who are very happy with their watches.

What would make me want to upgrade? An always on display option showing time. More health sensors. I'm pretty happy with the battery life but I'm one of those who will always accept more battery life if given. LTE didn't interest me much. That said, I've taken 2 calls on my watch (phone was 30+ ft away) and was very impressed. More application support - seems to be very light app support for the watch.

My guess is every year.
I work at UPS so at this time of the year it's very busy for us but I left my phone in the cab (we are working out of rentals now) I did for the first time had a real use for the watch I used my series 3 GPS to call a driver back because he forgot some of his work back way quicker than jumping down from a dock height truck and running to the cab to grab the phone.
[doublepost=1513824665][/doublepost]
Using the Apple Watch as an example, it's an expensive piece of tech. The stainless base model starts at $650.00, to me that's high, even for a well made Product Apple releases. I think the Watch pays for itself depending what type of usage you gain from it, but that's why the aluminum model is vastly more popular because of the price point.

Also, the Apple Watch being a niche Product, it's certainly not an upgrade likely for most consumers on an annual basis.
I think my watch is OK but not $650 worth.. I got the SS in space gray with the 2 year APPL care maybe it's just me but I really would like a round face watch.. I was looking at the Samsungs and I like the watch face designs they have.

couch000

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2016
Personally I would love to have a 46 mm version with better battery life and possibly always on display.
Make the watch bigger for better battery life for people who are active and may need to utilize GPS and make it easier for sleep tracking, etc. But then again, I prefer larger watches so please don't make it thinner.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If blood glucose was available and proven accurate next year, I would upgrade.
[doublepost=1513828987][/doublepost]
Personally I would love to have a 46 mm version with better battery life and possibly always on display.
Make the watch bigger for better battery life for people who are active and may need to utilize GPS and make it easier for sleep tracking, etc. But then again, I prefer larger watches so please don't make it thinner.
One of my Suunto running watches is 50mm. It gets great battery life even with GPS on. I like the smaller 42mm for casual use.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
I used my Series 1 for about a year an a half, but I find my Series 3 way more useful with it's quickness. I hope to get at least two years out of it before I upgrade. So I'll consider a Series 5 or whatever comes out in 2019.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No one that thinks they'll include built-in camera in the display?

Not at all. That's been talked about since the first generation Apple Watch if Apple whatever do this. I don't see the need personally for a built-in camera on the watch. I can't see any practical reasons other than maybe a FaceTime situation, which personally won't even make sense on a display smaller than 42 mm.

twinpeaks

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
The small watch face would be a great place to send some of the OLED leftover panel sections from making TVs and phones. I bet Apple goes OLED in 2018 with both the iPad and the Watch (why isn't it the iWatch).

Edit - so apparently the watch is already OLED? Never would have guessed. They must be low quality panels or they just aren't taking advantage of it yet.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
so apparently the watch is already OLED? Never would have guessed. They must be low quality panels or they just aren't taking advantage of it yet.

The Apple Watch has been using OLED since it's inception in April 2015. I have no idea what you mean by 'low-quality panels.' I have had zero issues with my Apple Watches and the displays look stunning. The next transition for displays is rumored to be micro LED for the Apple Watch, which is highly efficient with battery life and much higher resolution.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I would expect a significant upgrade, with at least a form factor change.

Apple Watch uses a Qualcomm LTE modem introduced in 2014. There's a big potential for power savings if Apple updates the modem in any way.

Apple is also using flexible PCBs in iPhone X to save space. They're doing the same for AirPods. You can expect them to apply that to Watch.

More space means more sensors, battery, or even a camera.

I thought so too but I'm not so sure. The Apple Watch is selling well and the shape is iconic. The band industry has exploded and many have invested quite a bit on bands. I think Apple will milk the basic design for several more years although I do feel they will continue to innovate on materials with new aluminum colors, changes to the Stainless cases perhaps and new Edition materials. I believe they will make the case thinner as soon as they can. I just don't think the Apple Watch is deviating from the basic rectangle that is their hallmark anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.