Apple Watch Series 4: Not as good as everyone says

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mraccountname, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sure, I think that’s been fairly evident since the Series 2, once Apple passed the fashion theme with the first Gen Watch. But being that the Apple Watch is such a huge multi tool, it has many purposes, obviously the core features are [health and notifications], you purchase the Apple Watch to be a extension of your iPhone for notifications _and_ a fitness tracker for daily work-outs, everything else simply there if you need it. (I.E. Apple Pay, weather, third party apps, ect) But you cant dismiss what you believe otherwise would/or would not be used, As I said, The Apple Watch is so dynamic, it’s used differently by everybody for different things, and if you focus on Apples marketing for the watch, they target different features over the last few years, but it started primarily as a notification device And transitioned from there.

2. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

All I am really saying is that in my experience, most Apple Watch owners are using them as a secondary way of receiving notifications. That is by far the primary use. The second most common seems to be the health features, although more as an activity tracker than workout device. When I couple those observations with the fact that developers are moving away from the watch, I think it is a logical conclusion that people use it for those two main purposes and that is about it.

Obviously as I said, I am not including people here or on iMore.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Fair enough. Notifications are massive part of the Watch experience, it personally keeps me from having to carry my large iPhone everywhere with me and the fitness tracking has improved enough where closing the Rings and heart rate sensor are well executed for be most part. The health aspect of the watch is the future, Apple has really placed emphasis on features like EKG, fall detection, they added a wheelchair feature in the past, and glucose monitoring could be a reality one day. All aspects on why I think the Watch will continue to lead due to health capabilities.

4. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

My goal when I upgraded my S0 to an S3 was the same. Use the LTE to leave the phone behind from time to time and use the fitness features. For me, the LTE was not reliable. That was probably a combination of AT&T and the small antenna in the watch, but still disappointing in a large town of about 750,000. Also, for whatever reason, the health features never grabbed me. The rings seemed not well defined. I would fill all three and not really know why exactly, especially the exercise ring. As I was finding cracks in the usage/purpose of my Apple Watch, an automatic watch caught my eye. Bought it, fell in love, and have bought 4 more since!

5. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

There is also this study, which appears to be more recent but provides no details on sample size or methods (I could not find any details on the Creative Strategies website): https://www.cultofmac.com/581078/people-love-declining-phone-calls-on-their-apple-watches/

I agree that it is disappointing that there are some developers (including some big names) who have ignored or pulled their watchOS apps, but there are categories beyond fitness where the watchOS app market is very competitive:
    • Weather
    • Calendar
    • Task management
    • Habit management
    • List making (especially shopping or grocery apps)
    • Travel related apps
    • Mindfulness or meditation
    • Authentication apps
    • Smarthome apps
    Most of the apps I care about even offer Infograph complications (with a couple of others promising Infograph support soon). I’m actually surprised by how many of my iPhone apps offer watch apps that I have no interest in using on my wrist. I don’t really see the Watch app market as lacking or declining, but not every kind of app should have a presence on the watch. Developers who perhaps felt pressure to jump on the bandwagon are pulling back because they never should have gone there in the first place.

6. Mraccountname, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2018

Mraccountname thread starter macrumors newbie

You copied dojoman's post but with even less explanation so you can get likes.
    What difference does a downvote button make? This is a discussion, not a poll.
    No, It's just that it sometimes takes a few tries to turn off the screen that way for me, especially when wearing gloves.
    You failed at trying to recreate Starship67's post on the AWS4 - meh thread.
    Horrible comparison.
    Durr, houw do I turn it of? Can u even do dat?

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The OP needs to take some time and do his homework if he can not figure out how to do someth8ng simple like turning your watch on or off;)

8. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Even if you don’t cover the full screen with your hand the screen will turn off and does for me - that has not been an issue.

9. dantracht macrumors 6502

dantracht

My biggest, and pretty much only issue with my S4 is the battery life, which, in my experience, is dramatically WORSE than my S2 or S3.

10. SDColorado macrumors 68040

SDColorado

Interesting. I find it better than my S2. I never had a S3 so I can't compare with that. But my wife was having an issue with her battery life being dramatically worse and solved it through a reset and setting it up as new again. Now her battery life is as expected.

11. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I can get at least a day and a half of battery life on my Series 4 if I needed to. I usually just charge it overnight while I sleep, so battery life of any Series has never been an issue for me anyway.

12. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

This right here. My experience, as well... I've had S0, S2 and S4.

13. SDColorado macrumors 68040

SDColorado

Easily a day and and a half if not more. It’s noon here and am still at 93%

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s an impressive number. I think the efficiency of the 64-bit dual core processor really helps manage the battery more, and my results were also significantly higher compared to the last Gen. (And good to see you in the watch forum again SD).

15. SDColorado macrumors 68040

SDColorado

I haven't been hanging out in the watch forum lately. I am not sure why. Just got busy over the summer I think.

Believe it not though, 6:08PM here and *still* at 81%. I never got anything close to this kind of battery life with the S2 watch

16. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

I can’t take this seriously.

I have an S0 that is now retired. Bought a S3 earlier this year and just picked up a S4 yesterday.

Difference between S3 and S4 is negligible, but the S0 is almost unusable in comparison.

17. Jessica08 macrumors 6502

Jessica08

I have had my first Apple Watch (S4) for about 3 weeks now. I haven’t worn it in 3 days, but when I took it off the other day it had 51% battery life. When I checked it tonight to see if I needed to charge it for tomorrow, the battery has drained completely. Just wanting to see if this is normal? Maybe I have a setting on that shouldn’t be? IDK.

18. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

I have the S1 for 1.5 yrs and just got the S4 for my son with health problems that cause him to faint and heart issues. I like his S4. He wore my S1 for several days to see if he liked it and was willing to wear and charge a watch daily. He struggled with my nylon band’s buckle but we got the Nike sports loop and that is easier to put on/take off, plus it is softer and super comfy. With the watch he is almost 100% at answering his phone and texts. The speed is amazing. He has fast access to weather (with autism it is a struggle to realize the weather can change and you might need to take a coat) and scheduled items provide haptic reminders. The speaker is definitely usable now so if he doesn’t have his phone handy he can receive calls and understand the caller easily. There is a big difference between the S1 and S4. For me, the S1 is enough. For him the S4 has fixed enough issues (speaker, speed, bigger/easier to press keys) and added health items (ekg/fall detection) to make it work well for him.

19. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Don’t know how you could say it wasn’t a big upgrade. The S2 that I upgraded from was slow as molasses.

20. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

People have different experiences. Not everyone will fall in love with a new product and or feature. I can attest to the speed of the S4, as I just upgraded from a S1. The speed is amazing. The display is gorgeous and the larger size allows for so much more to be viewed on the display. This was a worthy upgrade and I haven't been this excited about an apple product in a long time.

21. newellj macrumors 604

22. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Agreed. I noticed major improvements with the Series 3.

23. MacCheeseLai macrumors member

MacCheeseLai

I have a series 1 Apple Watch and I was planning to update it in a few weeks. While the watch was a thing for its time, it’s so slow now tbh. It absolutely refused to play nice with my iPhone 8 but paired with my max fine. However, it is showing its age. I am going for the cellular model and I am trying to find out how much it would be to add it to my cellular plan. I’m with Verizon.

24. tl01 macrumors 68020

Just posting here to say I totally disagree. I love my S4 with ECG. I love the speed of the S4. It works so much more seamlessly in my world. I would not consider the S0 a contender. I wouldn’t recommend it at this point unless it was all someone could afford and they insisted on an Apple Watch.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It could be a rogue third-party app running in the background that’s causing the drain, you can always just power the watch off and then power back on and charge it as normal, or conduct a hard reset by holding down the digital crown and power button for 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.