Apple Watch Series 4 or AirPods?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by innoutlover01, Jan 5, 2019.

1. innoutlover01 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Just wanted to get your feedback. In the end, the decision is mine...but I wanted to see your guys' opinions.

I have an iPhone X and AirPods and I was planning on buying an AW Series 4 for Christmas.
    But I ended up losing my AirPods on an airplane while traveling for the holidays.
    So I have a dilemma on my hands.

Either I can purchase the AW Series 4 and just go with the EarPods that came with the iPhone

OR

Rebuy the AirPods and get a pair of Nike Epic react shoes I wanted as well lol

Is it that much of a downgrade with the EarPods compared to the AirPods?

2. Disneymom2003 macrumors member

Disneymom2003

I would get the watch hands down. I have had one since the first one and wear it everyday. I also have the AirPods. But if I had to choose.....the watch.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The AirPods will likely see an update this year, get the watch.

4. Complex757 macrumors regular

Complex757

The watch is more useful IMO. Air pods are more of an luxury item.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Having had the Apple Watch 4 since Tuesday I can honestly say it is well worth it just for the health data alone.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The AirPods are a great accessory, but the Apple Watch is a totally different experience. If you’re into fitness and you want extension of your iPhone where you don’t have to carry it around with you all the time, the Apple Watch will execute both in those categories alone.

7. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

The watch. I love the AirPods but I had to look for different buds cuz they fall out of my ears during exercise. :/ The Apple Watch is amazing though.

8. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I guess it depends on how one uses both the accessories. Contrary to the popular vote so far, AirPods are more useful and valuable for me any day. The only update rumoured for this year is addition of a wireless case for the AirPods, which seems pointless to me given their already awesome battery life. I can easily live without the watch but not the AirPods.

9. yui4 macrumors 6502a

Apple Watch I use all day, especially in work, from waking until I sleep.

AirPods are more occasional for myself

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Watch

It’s maybe the best apple product out there.

11. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

Let's play with this for a sec. Remember, you can use ANY earpods with your Apple Watch and phone, from Bose, Skullcandy, Jaybird, etc, But you can't use just ANY watch with your Airpods. Hmmmm I choose the watch, much more useful, and you probably have some earpods laying around you can use until you can afford the airpods again, maybe even a new model.

12. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

i say airpods and save the rest of the money for the watch or anything else.

the watch cant do anything more, only less, that your phone already does. airpods let you go free from cords. and if you get a watch on some day, you need airpods (or so) and now you have airpods for the watch - unless you lose them again xD

and the aw4 seems to have horrible quality issue with displays, i would wait until get one.

13. yui4 macrumors 6502a

Could you not get a perfect condition series 3 SS and AirPods?

14. chanerz macrumors 65816

15. innoutlover01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I’ve tried the S3 and S4 before and the screen on the S4 is what’s setting it apart IMO

16. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

if you have used your AirPods a lot on a daily basis, then you will not be satisfied with other (wired) headphones. But the watch is great indeed - and even better in combination with the AirPods.

17. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

A small number of users having a bad screen does not equate to the watch having horrible quality issues with the display. If you get a watch and the screen is bad, return it for a new one.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Really? I mean, have you used the Apple Watch? The health features alone are a massive separation from the iPhone in terms of what the Apple Watch is capable of, especially with improved sensors, EKG, all the activity measures, etc.

This is broad-stoked statement. Have there been some users that had uneven displays? Yes. But it doesn’t even amount to a percentage of how many Apple Watches Apple produces compared to the stories you hear about on a tech site.

Also, for the record, my Series 4 display was without any issues whatsoever.

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I have no choice but to wait for the next gen air pods given i lost my air pods on Christmas Eve :(

20. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

For the record i went through 4 watches ordered from 3 places from different batches (1.5 month timespan). 3 had bad displayes. 2 very bad. 1 not so bad (the one i am keeping). So I would say it quite a high percentage. Everything else regarding quality was perfect.

21. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

What about buying a S3 (still a very, very nice, capable piece of hardware) and AirPods?

22. Disneymom2003 macrumors member

Disneymom2003

Horrible quality issue with display? I have the 4 and don’t have any problems at all. And there is no know problem that I am aware of.

23. mrex, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

yes, i have one.

ekg doesnt work outside usa - and it is useless for me anyway, i dont have problems with my heart. i dont think that the op need this kind of ”health features” either, otherwise the op has bought it or atleast told us that the hearth need to be monitored.

my watch has a quality issue with the display, apple sent me new one (went back in the same day) - it was worse! i personally havent seen a good aw4 display yet. in the link under i have attached photos of the display of my watch, and the display of the replacement device.

the quality issues with watches of forum members

24. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

25. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

get the watch and some jaybird freedoms. the AirPods are are crap besides the w1 chip