Apple Watch Series 5 Hands On: Always-On Display is Great, but Otherwise Not Much of an Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced and launched pre-orders for the Apple Watch Series 5, which is the company's latest wearable device. The new smartwatch features an always-on display, built-in compass, and more, and members of the media have begun sharing their opinions on Series 5 models after going hands-on at Apple Park.

[​IMG]
    Image via Engadget

Engadget's Dana Wollman pointed out that the Series 5 is far less of a drastic upgrade compared to last year's Series 4 (which is now discontinued). The Series 5 continues to adopt the Series 4's larger display, 40mm and 44mm case sizes, and ECG testing.

Other than the much-touted always-on display, there isn't a whole lot that's new with Apple Watch Series 5.
    The Verge's Dieter Bohn also talked about how there is little difference between this year's Apple Watch and last year's, calling the Series 5 a "dead ringer" for the Series 4. Bohn was a fan of the always-on display and believes that this feature will "finally make the Apple Watch a competent time piece."

[​IMG]
    Image via The Verge

If you're looking for more details about the Apple Watch Series 5, our full launch post has all of the information you'll need about the latest Apple wearable. You can also check out our posts on the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, and new 10.2-inch iPad to catch up with the news from today's event.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 5 Hands On: Always-On Display is Great, but Otherwise Not Much of an Upgrade

2. WBRacing macrumors 65816

Let the small iterations innovations commence!

3. Motawa macrumors 6502

4. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I’ve been waiting for more pics of the titanium model, I don’t know if it’s worth the jump from my stainless series3, yet

5. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

Is there a way to turn it off so it works like normal Apple watches? Aren't there potential privacy concerns for complication data?

6. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

7. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

While it may be true that there aren't a lot of things upgraded, always on display is a HUGE one that is usually at the top of every single person's list of Apple Watch upgrades since 2015. It was a surprise feature and we will gladly take it. Doesn't mean I'm going to upgrade my Series 4 this year, but I'm stoked and looking forward to my next upgrade even more.

8. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Do we really think they couldn't have brought the AOD to the S4 last year?

This feels purposely held back just to have "something" for this year.

9. izyreal macrumors regular

Hopefully it still only delivers notifications when you lift your wrist. Can anyone confirm?
    Sorry if this was covered in the keynote. I didn't get to watch it this year.

10. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Surely there will be—and imagine the battery life with the display off.

11. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

I have S3 so the upgrade is worth IMO. If I had S4, I would hold on for another year.

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

No, Apple isn’t going to hold back a much requested feature. It will ship when it’s ready.

13. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

Yeah. Guess I won't be upgrading this year. I'll hold out until S6 next year.

14. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Not sure, but I hope it works like this:

Notification pop when not looking at watch, so you can slyly glance it in a meeting or something.

BUT ALSO

Notification pop again when you raise your wrist unless you've already dismissed it from another device.

15. BF1M macrumors member

What about your calendar info being out there for world to see? I’m guessing they thought of this.

Also, anymore info on the compass?

16. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I've got a Series 3 LTE. I've been waiting for a Watch that I won't have to upgrade for several years before getting a better material than the Sport aluminum.

I think that the Apple Watch is there. The Series 4 was already more than powerful enough, with the right screen size and the right battery. The Series 5 is even more powerful, now has an always on display with that same large screen and comfortable all day battery life.

I'm looking forward to picking up a titanium Apple Watch.

17. MadCar macrumors regular

You'd have to think that there is an option to show alerts and now unless the Watch is raised to view. Or alerts appear on the screen but not what they are in the same was as they can be configured on the iPhone.

If they haven't done that it would have to be a .1 release to add it.

18. xalea macrumors 6502

xalea

I see no reason to upgrade from a 3 to this. What's the big deal about the always-on display? Yeah it's nice, I guess, but is it really that difficult to move your wrist to make the screen come on? This is the amazing innovation from Apple now? Geesh.

Plus, what about if I don't want info popping up for everyone to see, if my wrist/arm is pointed away from my face but toward people sitting next to me, in a meeting, etc.? So now we have to turn alerts off or will it not show until you.. move your wrist? :confused:

19. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I wonder if you can set it to work like the previous generation models and the screen can go on or off.

Would be sweet to not have it on all the time, then see how long you can make the watch last on a single charge!

20. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I'm holding out at least that long, depending on what they upgrade maybe not until S7. I'm hoping for blood pressure and blood glucose sensors in the future as those are issues that run in my family. Fortunately my Apple Watch has helped me lose so much weight that I'm hopeful I can go off my low-dose blood pressure meds at my next doctor appointment (I never had diabetes but would like to keep an eye on it as I get older).

21. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

Finally! I don’t even use an Apple Watch but I was tired of seeing douchey blank black squares on people’s wrists. At least now it will look like a freaking watch!

22. dotzero123 macrumors 6502

dotzero123

Raising my wrist isn't uncomfortable for me and I never really felt I needed to have the display on constantly. I would like longer battery life but am not ready to upgrade. I'll possibly treat myself to a new band to hold me over till s6
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2019 ---
    wow

23. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

I think this is a huge upgrade with the AOD and incredible battery advancements. It's a no brainer upgrade for pretty much everyone, no matter what Apple Watch Series you currently own. For those who haven't invested in Apple Watch yet, now is the perfect time.

24. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

Congrats! Good to hear! Those issues likely don’t run in your family but rather in your family’s diet and lifestyle! Staying active and a healthy weight is factor #1 IMO!

25. dsampley macrumors 6502

dsampley

I placed a pre order but after reading this, I am thinking I will cancel the order and wait till next year.