Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be planning to expand its Apple Watch Series 5 lineup with a new (PRODUCT)RED model at some point next year, according to evidence uncovered by French blog WatchGeneration.

RED-Apple-Watch-TRANS-800x651.png
Apple Watch Series 5 in (PRODUCT)RED concept by MacRumors/Ryan Barrieau

The report claims the unreleased Apple Watch briefly appeared in an unspecified Apple database, adding that it would likely be an aluminum model with a similar red finish as the iPod touch. The new color would be offered alongside existing silver, space gray, and gold aluminum casing options.

It is unclear exactly when the new Apple Watch model could be released, but the spring is a possibility. Apple introduced (PRODUCT)RED versions of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 in March 2017 and April 2018, respectively.

Apple donates a portion of proceeds from every (PRODUCT)RED product that it sells to The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, raising more than $220 million since 2006. Apple sells a wide range of (PRODUCT)RED products, ranging from iPhone and iPad cases to Beats headphones and speakers.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 5 in (PRODUCT)RED Could Launch in 2020

Last edited:

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I love the idea of the "RED" products. But like a previous post said, you gotta release them with the normal refresh cycle. I always upgrade when the cycle refreshes. Not worth buying this model months before an update just to get a cool color and provide a small bit of charity support to an organization. Now if the full price of the watch was donated to the charity, then we can talk. Otherwise I might as well make my own donation and wait for the refresh cycle.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I love the idea of the "RED" products. But like a previous post said, you gotta release them with the normal refresh cycle. I always upgrade when the cycle refreshes. Not worth buying this model months before an update just to get a cool color and provide a small bit of charity support to an organization. Now if the full price of the watch was donated to the charity, then we can talk. Otherwise I might as well make my own donation and wait for the refresh cycle.

Happened with iPhone 7 and 8, and was proven to be a successful ploy. Even the Red colors become so popular, and a bit more expensive if you get it from 3rd party seller. I don't concur with this kind of marketing trick. But I understand if Apple wants to try this old trick again.

I personally am satisfied with Space Gray AWS5 combined with Product Red sport band.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I love the idea behind Product Red, but those concept art renders are garishly ugly.

Yeah, those particular mock ups don't give the best representation of what a product red Apple Watch could be. The band color combos seem odd (A black or white band could look striking in concept arts or a product red band....these versions seem to clash and appear more orange)

I don’t doubt a product red watch could work....but I agree the concept art here doesn’t
present the best mainstream version of color combos.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Let's go clear with backlight bleed so the watch body changes colors based on screen content.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Please release this is in the normal cycle not in the spring. I can’t justify buying one in the spring when I know September is a few months away :/

But that’s why it’s called a ‘mid-cycle’ release. Apple is it going to release this in January or even February, they’ll probably release it when they have a keynote when they launch the iPhone SE 2 in the late first quarter in March/April. Besides, By doing a mid cycle release, this gives the Apple Watch a boost in marketing, a refresh in watch bands and other accessories. And plugs the iPhone at the same time for other updates/colors/accessories.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I just got my first Apple Watch, series 5. I’m liking it, but will admit I’d contemplate returning it if I thought this was coming out soon.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
Yea that Mickey Mouse style wouldn't work for me. I am sorry.

Ugh! I thought “No way would I want this,” but then your comment.

My autistic son's AW is always set to Mickey and he loves all things Disney.

You may have just cost me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.