Apple Watch Series 5 Models Offer 32GB of Storage, Up From 16GB in Series 4

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

The new Apple Watch Series 5 models, which Apple unveiled today, feature 32GB of internal storage for music, photos, apps, and other content, according to Apple's specifications for the new device.

At 32GB of storage for both GPS and Cellular models, the Apple Watch Series 5 offers double the storage of the previous Series 4 models. Apple may have increased the storage in the new device due to the Apple Watch App Store that's available in watchOS 6, set to be released on September 19.

Along with additional storage, the Apple Watch Series 5 offers an always-on Retina display for the first time, which allows the watch face to be activated permanently. There's also an international emergency calling feature that contacts emergency services when you activate SOS regardless of which country you're in.

It also includes a built-in compass feature and Compass app for keeping track of your orientation, along with an S5 processor. The Series 5 comes in aluminum, stainless steel, and in new titanium and ceramic finishes.

Apple is accepting pre-orders for the Apple Watch Series 5 models as of September 10. Pricing starts at $399 for the aluminum GPS models and $499 for the aluminum cellular models, and goes up based on finish and band choice.

For the first time since the Apple Watch launched, Apple is allowing customers to choose any available band to go with the case of their choice using the new Apple Watch Studio.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 5 Models Offer 32GB of Storage, Up From 16GB in Series 4

Oohara

macrumors 68030
Jun 28, 2012
STILL no roaming, despite the international emergency call function. Samsung's watches have had roaming capability for years, so what gives? Very disappointing.

Last edited:

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I wonder if they will offer international roaming down the line. Series 5 has support for most of the bands used in EMEA/Oceanic. The most common bands used in EMEA are 3, 7, and 20. The US/CA Apple Watch Series 5 is only missing Band 20. For the EMEA/Oceanic models they are only missing band 13 but supports almost every other band used by Verizon for example.

Jarman74

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
For folks like me who still don't have one, this is a no brainer and I finally took the plunge. This thing got so powerful that one day it will be easily able to support additional features like sleep tracking - actually I was a little surprised they didn't mention it at all yesterday as it would be a major selling point (even down the line) for those who are waiting for it.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
I have a Series 1, and while it's still going strong I am finally thinking about upgrading. The always on face of the Series 5 appeals to me, although I may want to wait and see what the reports are from the first wave of buyers in terms of battery life.

In some ways Series 5 seems like a significant internal design change, so there's also a part of me that wonders if waiting for Series 6 would be wise - given it's not uncommon with Apple products for significant design changes to be accompanied by issues - which generally do get ironed out in the next iteration.

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
My wife has the 4 cellular and I’m really surprised just how much she utilises all the functions.

The 5 is an iteration of the 4 and probably very compelling for series 1-2 upgraders or new people thinking of buying for the first time.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
I wonder how many people would argh in their mind yelling at Apple not delivering AOD on iPhone but on Apple Watch. ;):p:D

As for the Series 5, I get series 4, so no particular need to upgrade to series 5, especially when the difference is negligible and the real chance Apple is banking big features in 2020. With that being said, 32GB is good to have, even though half of my 16GB storage is used to store music anyways.

Khedron

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2013
So according to Apple a "Pro" phone only needs twice as much storage as a watch. Cool story, Tim.

This update was clearly driven by no one producing 16GB chips any more so 32GB is actually cheaper.

Reactions: Craiguyver and Zxxv

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
What’s the processor like? Is it the same as the Series 4?
No it’s S5, check the tech specs
[doublepost=1568193874][/doublepost]This was one of the first things I noticed on the tech specs, surprised it wasn’t reported sooner.
8-16-32gb the past 3 gens is substantial, they must be really popular and especially needing more storage for local songs now the airports are also so popular.

Geurt

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
That awkward moment when Apple Watch has as much storage as the latest base iPad...
Why its that awkward? Isn't the iWatch an iPad with a very small screen, or isn't the iPad an iWatch with a very big screen? And therefore common genetics but different form factor when it comes down on application functionality? Just a thought, size is not important to be big :)

Reactions: Aenean144

Bug-Creator

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2011
Germany
This thing got so powerful that one day it will be easily able to support additional features like sleep tracking - actually I was a little surprised they didn't mention it at all yesterday as it would be a major selling point
Would be quite pointless considering "all day battery" means 18h usage + 6h charging.

Unless you fancy sleeping "wired" that is.

KeithJenner

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
Would be quite pointless considering "all day battery" means 18h usage + 6h charging.

Unless you fancy sleeping "wired" that is.
I've been using a third party sleep tracker on my S3 for a couple of years.

I just plug it in for a short while in the morning or evening. Its very rare that my watch goes below 50% charge.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I've been using a third party sleep tracker on my S3 for a couple of years.

I just plug it in for a short while in the morning or evening. Its very rare that my watch goes below 50% charge.
What sleep tracking app do you use?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
STILL no roaming, despite the international emergency call function. Samsung's watches have had roaming capability for years, so what gives? Very disappointing.
Apple doesn’t give users what they want. They give what will milk the most profits. Apple lives in the past.
[doublepost=1568203146][/doublepost]
No it’s S5, check the tech specs
[doublepost=1568193874][/doublepost]This was one of the first things I noticed on the tech specs, surprised it wasn’t reported sooner.
8-16-32gb the past 3 gens is substantial, they must be really popular and especially needing more storage for local songs now the airports are also so popular.
Is that a new band? Not heard of them

whoknows2597

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2019
Isn’t it a bit too excessive? On my S4, I have 10.2GB left. I understand if you want to have music offline, but do you REALLY need that many songs? Could just be me.

Reactions: Mactendo

Eorlas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
For folks like me who still don't have one, this is a no brainer and I finally took the plunge. This thing got so powerful that one day it will be easily able to support additional features like sleep tracking - actually I was a little surprised they didn't mention it at all yesterday as it would be a major selling point (even down the line) for those who are waiting for it.
why wait? theres an entire section of the app store dedicated to this

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My wife has the 4 cellular and I’m really surprised just how much she utilises all the functions.

The 5 is an iteration of the 4 and probably very compelling for series 1-2 upgraders or new people thinking of buying for the first time.
Yep. Series 4 is the best buy now. The always on screen to me is a con to me as I don’t want people seeing potentially confidential info on my work watch face (to do list showing highest priority line item), sensitive email notifications, etc. I have never wanted the always on screen as when I raise my wrist it’s on and there is zero lag time. Now, if there’s an option to disable it for even longer battery life ... then I’m interested. However, I wouldn’t upgrade from my series 4 as it lasts 2.5 days as it is. New buyers or upgrading from a 0/1/2/3? Maybe.

Reactions: Applebot1