Apple Watch Series 5 Models Offer 32GB of Storage, Up From 16GB in Series 4

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
They really should have mentioned this storage increase. It's a big deal. Especially as they're positioning the watch to become a stand alone device. And a new CPU too?

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
For folks like me who still don't have one, this is a no brainer and I finally took the plunge. This thing got so powerful that one day it will be easily able to support additional features like sleep tracking - actually I was a little surprised they didn't mention it at all yesterday as it would be a major selling point (even down the line) for those who are waiting for it.
No need to wait for sleep tracking. I've been tracking my sleep for over a year with my Watch. The data I collected was invaluable for both my primary care physician and my sleep doctor. Now I use it to improve the quality and consistency of my sleep and to observe patterns and track issues that interfere with my sleep.

(I use SleepWatch.)

Reactions: archer75

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
For folks like me who still don't have one, this is a no brainer and I finally took the plunge. This thing got so powerful that one day it will be easily able to support additional features like sleep tracking - actually I was a little surprised they didn't mention it at all yesterday as it would be a major selling point (even down the line) for those who are waiting for it.
There are plenty of sleep tracking apps now. I use 2 different sleep apps regularly but have a total of 4 on the watch. It's just reading the watches sensors so each app isn't running it's own data and it doesn't use a ton of battery. On my old S3 I use about 8-10% battery over night. That would be less on the S5.

But then when I'm doing my bed time routine I have it charging, brushing teeth, getting kids to bed, etc. and I go to bed at 100%. And then when I'm doing my morning routine I have it charging again. Shower, coffee, etc. and it's back at 100%.

I really don't know why everyone is all over a sleep tracking app when there's already so many.

Reactions: artfossil

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
That awkward moment when Apple Watch has as much storage as the latest base iPad...
That awkward moment when the Apple Watch has 8x the storage of Samsung Galaxy watches.
[doublepost=1568213377][/doublepost]
So according to Apple a "Pro" phone only needs twice as much storage as a watch. Cool story, Tim.

This update was clearly driven by no one producing 16GB chips any more so 32GB is actually cheaper.
Then what’s Samsung’s excuse for 4GB? They manufacture the bloody chips and they can’t put in more than 4GB? That’s truly pathetic.

Last edited:

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
STILL no roaming, despite the international emergency call function. Samsung's watches have had roaming capability for years, so what gives? Very disappointing.
Buy a Samsung. Problem solved.
[doublepost=1568213883][/doublepost]
There are plenty of sleep tracking apps now. I use 2 different sleep apps regularly but have a total of 4 on the watch. It's just reading the watches sensors so each app isn't running it's own data and it doesn't use a ton of battery. On my old S3 I use about 8-10% battery over night. That would be less on the S5.

But then when I'm doing my bed time routine I have it charging, brushing teeth, getting kids to bed, etc. and I go to bed at 100%. And then when I'm doing my morning routine I have it charging again. Shower, coffee, etc. and it's back at 100%.

I really don't know why everyone is all over a sleep tracking app when there's already so many.
Why? It’s another app to instal. And not the typical UI of .
Been using Autosleep. Soon as  does it’s own sleep tracking it’s gone.

Reactions: G5isAlive

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Why? It’s another app to instal. And not the typical UI of .
Been using Autosleep. Soon as  does it’s own sleep tracking it’s gone.
Yes, it's another app. But then so is apples solution. It's a non issue. I'll use whatever is the best one.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
I have never wanted the always on screen as when I raise my wrist it’s on and there is zero lag time. Now, if there’s an option to disable it for even longer battery life ... then I’m interested.
Over at Engadget, Dana Wolfman expressed a similar sentiment - and had asked Apple if you would turn that feature off. I noticed this morning she's updated her story to say "Fortunately, if you feel as I do, an Apple spokesperson confirms that it is possible to disable the always-on feature."

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2008
I have a Series 1, and while it's still going strong I am finally thinking about upgrading. The always on face of the Series 5 appeals to me, although I may want to wait and see what the reports are from the first wave of buyers in terms of battery life.

In some ways Series 5 seems like a significant internal design change, so there's also a part of me that wonders if waiting for Series 6 would be wise - given it's not uncommon with Apple products for significant design changes to be accompanied by issues - which generally do get ironed out in the next iteration.
Upgrade now, you will be blown away.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
They really should have mentioned this storage increase. It's a big deal. Especially as they're positioning the watch to become a stand alone device. And a new CPU too?
Maybe previous model watches are about to be crippled so badly they didn’t want to bring attention to it?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Isn’t it a bit too excessive? On my S4, I have 10.2GB left. I understand if you want to have music offline, but do you REALLY need that many songs? Could just be me.
I though the same thing until I realized podcasts were taking up my storage. I turned that off because I use my phone for podcasts and I never bike without it.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2008
Isn’t it a bit too excessive? On my S4, I have 10.2GB left. I understand if you want to have music offline, but do you REALLY need that many songs? Could just be me.
For the everyday user, your storage usage is about normal. But for my particular needs, I love the idea of having even more storage. I run around 90-100 miles a week on trails, so having an enormous selection of music and podcasts for offline usage is really beneficial for me. Keeps things fresh!

Reactions: Breaking Good

Neodym

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
Think bigger! With a dedicated App Store, who knows what may come to the watch in the future. More complex applications, Videos, Games, Websites, AR Data ...

Reactions: Breaking Good

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I’m assuming that if you use Apple Watch Studio to order, you can’t order a Watch Series 5 without a strap? In other words, a strap has to be part of the package? I’ve already got more Apple straps than I need!

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
What about storing maps offline for boaters or hikers? I’d love to have nautical charts on my Watch as a backup or highly detailed backcountry hiking maps. That could easily take up a few GB of data.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
STILL no roaming, despite the international emergency call function. Samsung's watches have had roaming capability for years, so what gives? Very disappointing.
It's usually privacy restrictions that prevents Apple to be like Samsung and its OS, but I'm just speculating.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
It’s a new soc called S5 but the spec sheet says it’s 2x faster than s3 just like s4 so it’s probably as fast as or a little faster than s4.
Well that's great news for Series 4 owners like me. Means we should be supported for longer if they aren't incrementing the hardware power and putting the savings towards battery life. That's what it sounds like they did, in addition to the new display tech, to allow for an always-on display.

When I was doing planks last night, about to collapse because I've been sick recently, I really wished that I could see how much time was left on my Apple Watch timer. It's going to be super useful to have that feature someday.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It’s a new soc called S5 but the spec sheet says it’s 2x faster than s3 just like s4 so it’s probably as fast as or a little faster than s4.
So that's why they killed the S4, then: To avoid awkward comparisons between the "entry level" S4 priced at $199 (to meet a necessary competitive price point) vs a brand-spanking-new S5 that's only marginally faster at $399.

I must admit, after watching the keynote, the S5 felt more like an S4s (to borrow iPhone naming conventions)

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
I wonder how many people would argh in their mind yelling at Apple not delivering AOD on iPhone but on Apple Watch. ;):p:D

As for the Series 5, I get series 4, so no particular need to upgrade to series 5, especially when the difference is negligible and the real chance Apple is banking big features in 2020. With that being said, 32GB is good to have, even though half of my 16GB storage is used to store music anyways.
Having a 3 the display sometimes on rare occasions doesn’t turn on to reveal the time. Which is pretty annoying actually.
[doublepost=1568265107][/doublepost]
Well it’s going to have it’s own dedicated App Store to download apps from the watch so you need more memory downloading and installing files. My 16gb sometimes runs out of memory because I have about 1000 songs so i can imagine 16gb is not enough for watch os