Apple Watch Series 5 Models With Titanium and Ceramic Casings Include Extra Sport Band in Box

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Watch Series 5 models with titanium and ceramic casings include an extra, color-matching Sport Band in the box.

[​IMG]

White ceramic models come with a soft white Sport Band with a ceramic pin, titanium models come with a light gray Sport Band, and space black titanium models come with a dark gray Sport Band. This is in addition to whichever band a customer chooses for the Apple Watch during the purchase process.

An extra Sport Band is also included with Hermès models, but this is par for course.

Apple Watch Series 5 models with aluminum and stainless steel casings do not include an extra Sport Band. If you do not select one during the purchase process, the Sport Bands are sold separately for $49 each.

Apple Watch Series 5 pre-orders are available now in fully customizable fashion, with deliveries to customers and in-store availability beginning Friday, September 20. Notable features include an always-on display, a new Compass app, and 32GB of on-device storage, compared to 16GB for Series 4 models.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 5 Models With Titanium and Ceramic Casings Include Extra Sport Band in Box

2. Mactendo macrumors 68000

At $1300 that’s a relief. Will buy ceramic one then.

3. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Wow....frankly at those prices it should include every color sport band with it. But an extra one is nice.

Any details on the s5 chip? I haven't seen a thing so far and was under the impression this was basically a Series 4's CPU?

4. ruslan120 macrumors 6502a

ruslan120

Genius marketing. In reality the sport bands are better, but worth probably closer to $20-$30 taking the marketing budget into account.

With the solidified perception of value at $50 or above this becomes a compelling deal.

I’m not upgrading to a Series 5 from a Series 4 SS but will definitely hop onto a new band or two and will upgrade any relatives’ watches if theirs break.

5. Just sayin... macrumors regular

Which would be the most durable - regardless of price? I’m looking for a birthday gift for my wife who rides horses. Any piece of equipment needs to be very robust to stand up to barn life, and I’m trying to understand whether Stainless, Titanium or Ceramic would hold up the best. Fall detection and wrist cellular connectivity are the big draws...

6. Mactendo macrumors 68000

The glass is the weakest part... so I wouldn’t care what’s stronger: stainless or titanium. Not sure about ceramic one. But glass will break in the first place.

7. Mr. Awesome macrumors member

Definitely not ceramic...
    Probably stainless steel or titanium, but keep in mind that steel will show scratches more because the steel finish is smooth and the titanium finish is brushed.
    (Both of those come with sapphire glass, I believe.)

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Titanium is really known for being a very lightweight material, but fairly durable. But the ceramic is nearly as heavy as the stainless Apple Watch, but offers an excellent scratch resistance. It should be noted, the titanium space black model actually offers a DLC coating (Diamond like Coating), which is the same coating that is used on the space black stainless Apple Watch, which makes it extremely durable get scratches/scuffs.

For me personally, I would opt for the ceramic, because I do like the weight and extended durability that ceramic properties offer, but if you want a lighter weight material, then I would choose the titanium. _Both_ of which include sapphire displays.

0F36B578-39A2-48E4-A738-EFE728906A91.jpeg

9. Kardinal1911 macrumors regular

Kardinal1911

The “glass” is Sapphire I’ve never broken my SS SB
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2019 ---
    This grey titanium is TEMPTING MY WALLET

10. krusnof macrumors member

krusnof

It's the same watch as Series 4 but added compass/altitude features (not iOS level). And new casings of course.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The ceramic one would be the most scratch proof. I had one and it still looked new after more than a year of daily use.

12. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

Ceramic will resist scratching... but ceramic will shatter. I feel like that would likely be the worst choice for your wife.

I'd go titanium; stronger than average and the finish will hide scratches better.

13. Relentless Power, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I see others saying that ceramic will shatter, but does anybody have any literal examples of this happening with the previous ceramic Apple Watches? Or do you know of anyone that has shattered their ceramic Apple Watch? I think it’s just easy to say that’s what will happen, but probably depends on what type of surface the watch is dropped on/angle/how hard the impact is. I’m not saying it can’t happen, just want to know if anyone has experienced this.

14. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

SS can have scratches buffed out with a Cape Cod cloth and all bands go with it (any with metal lugs always have SS lugs)

Every time I think I may move from SS, the practicalities keep me with it.

15. Medic, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019

Medic macrumors member

Medic

Having had a ceramic white series 3 and sporting with it every day I can safely say it has endured everything (swimming, weights and HiiT) and has not a scratch (or chips after 3 years! This is even with nightly knocks whilst sleepwalking to the bathroom.

I can’t say the same with the stainless steel S0 I had which had loads of scratches and scuffs rapidly. Even with cape cod cleaner some remained.

16. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

I've never seen the Watch shatter, I was just going by the extra precautions you need to take with a ceramic knife.

17. Mactendo macrumors 68000

On some models the “glass” is glass. And that sapphire breaks as anything else.

18. kcslc macrumors member

I think it’s time to upgrade from my stainless steel S0 model. But I’m torn as to which body style to get.

The sapphire crystal on my S0 I’d say is the most durable glass I’ve ever had. Not a scratch on it. I’ve smacked it against hard items several times, expecting to see a shatter. Nope. Stayed perfect.

I actually like how the original stainless steel scratches with age. Gives it character.

But good grief... the mark up to go from aluminum to SS is $300. To TI is $400.

Considering my likes of my original S0, what do you all think I should go with?

Attached Files:

19. Khedron macrumors 68000

Real sapphire, or the same Apple sapphire used on iPhone cameras that scratches like glass?

20. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

That's nice of them since the sport bands can't be any more than a few bucks to manufacture.

I really hope they offer titanium in future models. If the cycle had aligned, I would have upgraded to this one definitely. I love titanium. I had a pair of titanium Oakley eyeglasses that I wore every day for 7.5 years until they broke. That sounds only moderately impressive until you realize that includes raising two toddlers and the Chiefs vs. Colts playoff game on January 4, 2014 where the Colts overcame a 28-pt deficit late in the game to beat the Chiefs and extend the Chiefs playoff game win drought to 21 seasons. It was either the glasses or the iPad Mini 2 that I was going to embed into the wall. I chose titanium that day and no money was lost.

21. technoholic macrumors 6502a

Apple Watch Series 5 models with aluminum and stainless steel casings do not include an extra Sport Band. If you do not select one during the purchase process, the Sport Bands are sold separately for $49 each.

I must be reading this wrong but that implies you don’t have to select a band at all in the purchase process, which I didn’t get the option for when I ordered mine, although I would really like to not have to buy a band as I have many I like already.
    Am I reading it wrong?

22. Bistroengine macrumors regular

Bistroengine

So, what happens if you buy an Aluminum or Steel Apple Watch outside of the Apple Store? You just don't get a band then?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2019 ---
    I'm torn between the dark Titanium model and the Gold Stainless Steel model. I really dig the look of the gold stainless but I'm not a fan of heavy watches. Can anyone comment on the durability of the gold stainless models?

23. liuping macrumors newbie

I wish I knew this when I ordered my space black titanium. I hope they include a sports loop when someone orders the sports band, otherwise I'll end up with 2 sports bands. o_O

24. incoherent_1 macrumors member

I think the scratches are in the coating, not the sapphire itself.

(Not saying I disagree with your point — I think it’s ridiculous that my $1100 phone has scratches all over the display despite the fact that I baby it)

25. McPhallus macrumors regular

They're fairly durable but they once you get a scratch, you can't remove it without removing the gold PVD coating. If scratches bother you at all, then go with a different model or get a protective case for it.