Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report earlier this week from Nikkei Asia that claimed volume production of upcoming Apple Watch Series 7 models had been delayed due to manufacturing challenges, a new report has offered a more specific timeframe.

Apple-Watch-7-Unreleased-Feature-Flat.jpg

According to a paywalled preview of a DigiTimes report, suppliers are scheduled to ramp up Apple Watch Series 7 production starting at the end of September. That timeframe could indeed reflect a short delay in production, as Nikkei Asia had reported that Apple Watch Series 7 mass production was originally slated to begin around mid-September.

It's unclear if any production delay would affect launch timing of the Apple Watch Series 7. Apple has unveiled new Apple Watch models in September for five consecutive years, dating back to the Apple Watch Series 2 in 2016. Even with reported production delays, the Apple Watch Series 7 could still be announced in September as well, but pre-orders could face lengthier shipping estimates due to short supply.

The manufacturing challenges are in large part due to the Apple Watch Series 7 having a new design, according to Nikkei Asia. The watch is expected to feature a new flat-edged casing based on information shared by Jon Prosser, host of the YouTube channel Front Page Tech, while Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that Series 7 models will be available in larger 41mm and 45mm sizes, compared to 40mm and 44mm sizes for the Series 6.

Nikkei Asia's report also claimed that the Apple Watch Series 7 will be able to measure blood pressure, but Gurman said this is not true.

MacBook Pros

In a separate report today, DigiTimes claimed that ongoing supply chain shortages will likely result in the rumored 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with an Apple silicon chip and a mini-LED display being launched in October or November. The report cites sources who believe Apple's fall 2021 product launches will likely follow a similar format as fall 2020, with multiple events spread across several months.

The new MacBook Pro models are expected to have a new design with a flatter top and bottom, and several ports are expected to return, including an HDMI port, an SD card reader, and a connector for a magnetic power cable.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 7 Production Will Reportedly Ramp Up at End of September, New MacBook Pros Expected Later in Fall

Last edited:

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
If this report is true then the fact that it refers to “ramp up” surely means that there will be limited stock will be available for pre-orders and that confidence is there to maximise production late September onwards

Reactions: dtrj787

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Of course these supply shortages have to happen exactly for the most important MacBook Pro update in almost a decade ?

Nobody would have cared if these delays had happened on any Intel-based MacBook Pro update in recent years, but no, they need to happen now, when a bazillion people like me are desperately needing a new MacBook Pro and don't want to buy another Intel machine :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Digitimes...as i said, when they go original they always fail...when they are right, they are right because they copy paste from others, more reliable leakers like Mark G and so on..

Bottom line, on 14th Sept we will see the new iphones airpods and apple watch....with the apple watch coming to its customers in October
In October new macbooks and the ipad mini will be presented with customers getting their hands on purchases on late October or November
The bigger redesign imac (M1x SoC) will come in spring along size the redesign M2(8cpu cores with 10 gpu cores) Macbook air

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Can we end the reports on DigiTimes already? All of their claims contradict themselves and they’re usually less accurate than most other sources.
The website is called MacRumors for a reason. They will report any rumor, regardless if it comes from a place with a ****** track record or not, sadly.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
In short, we'll see the iPhone 13 series and AirPods 3 announced first, then the Apple Watch 7 and the new iPad models in October and finally the MacBook Pro and Mac mini with the M1X in November.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Thats fine. The 7 is building up to be a huge nothing burger anyway so no loss having to wait.

Edit: No, seriously, what do we have to look forward to with these other than a revamped FF? Oooh it's square, BFD. No blood pressure sensor, no temp sensor, no other real improvement other than a 4% larger screen and a slightly faster SoC to run one of the most boring OS updates Apple has ever released. Wooo.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
at this point, I'm just waiting for the Apple event and see what Apple has to say ... these so called "reports" from the likes of Digitimes are nothing more than clickbait...

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I can understand why the MacBooks are not going to be shipping until Oct/Nov....not only does it make sense from a logistical point of view, but also from a chronological point of view: the 1st M1 Macs shipped last November and I'm sure Apple would like to pronounce at how successful the transition has been since last year.

dtrj787

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Cincinnati, OH, USA
If this report is true then the fact that it refers to “ramp up” surely means that there will be limited stock will be available for pre-orders and that confidence is there to maximise production late September onwards
Exactly. Be prepared to drop your money. Its like every other launch. You pre-order, then after 10 minutes, ship times start slipping.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I wouldn’t mind if the MacBook Pro came before the iPhone. As a matter of fact I wouldn’t even care if there was a new iPhone. I’m one of the large majority of people who have money ready to go for a new Mac. It’s frustrating that they’re continuing to make us wait. And for what?

Reactions: jk73

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Digitimes...as i said, when they go original they always fail...when they are right, they are right because they copy paste from others, more reliable leakers like Mark G and so on..

Bottom line, on 14th Sept we will see the new iphones airpods and apple watch....with the apple watch coming to its customers in October
In October new macbooks and the ipad mini will be presented with customers getting their hands on purchases on late October or November
The bigger redesign imac (M1x SoC) will come in spring along size the redesign M2(8cpu cores with 10 gpu cores) Macbook air
I’m starting to think this is a good rhythm for Apple to be in— release new chip (M2) in low end consumer machines and iPad Pros early every year to drive demand, which in turn builds up anticipation for new pro version of chip later that year (new M2X) for use in pro machines. This will work very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.