Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I can't stand the guy, he's such a sheep and does everything possible to kiss ass so that he gets early product reviews.

His defending of the iOS 15 iCloud scanning stuff on twitter was truly disgraceful even when told he was wrong on his "facts", he just ran away.

His teenager clickbait thumbnails are also pathetic.

At least Justine knows her role as Tims pet and is pretty open about it, Rene pretends to be a real reporter.
He even defended Apple not having any important info including pricing and configurations for the Series 7 prior to pre-order and said nothing was unusual.

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I agree. These unboxing videos are for general public who doesn’t know about MacRumors. All the video sounds like they are reading a script. They are carefully using the words that will excite people to order the Apple Watch. You are right the script/talking points are probably written by some writer at Apple or some marketing team.

The real reviews are from the general public… people like you and me.

It’s true, while there isn’t an exact script. Apple and other advertising companies have certain things that they can and can’t say, show or do. Like apple may allow them to show one app but not allow them to open another app in the video. It’s really crazy how that stuff works.

It’s true, while there isn’t an exact script. Apple and other advertising companies have certain things that they can and can’t say, show or do. Like apple may allow them to show one app but not allow them to open another app in the video. It’s really crazy how that stuff works.
It’s all manipulating the consumers and marketing playing it’s role. It’s dirty business. Apple is playing the game.

You think.. YouTubers reviewing Samsung products like Apple’s… something to think about.

Last edited:

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I'm looking forward to the disassembly of the Apple Watch 7 and comparing the innards to the Apple Watch 6.

Reactions: tomiwah

criticasm

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2017
iJustine gives it a score of 7 out of 5 stars.
IMG_7190.JPG

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
That’s why Rene has been defending the Series 7 on Twitter.
Does he work for Apple Inc? Because sometimes I wonder. I like honest product reviews, not 15 minutes of corporate cheerleading like Rene Ritchie and iJustine provide. All products have good and bad and it is a reviewer’s job to point them out. Saying everything is great and perfect and you just can’t live without the product is promotion not review.

Reactions: Sincci and haruhiko

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I agree. These unboxing videos are for general public who doesn’t know about MacRumors. All the video sounds like they are reading a script. They are carefully using the words that will excite people to order the Apple Watch. You are right the script/talking points are probably written by some writer at Apple or some marketing team.

Any reviewers that get "early" or "exclusive" access are being bought, wether it's iJustine or Verge. That early access allows them to push a review out faster than any other review sites or common upstart YouTube reviewers, and so allows them to make more money. They also implicitly know that negative reviews threaten future early access, unlike common folk who just buy the stuff themselves....

So these type of reviews can be nice for a "first look" in semi-ordinary people's hands (I only say semi ordinary in that their videos are often very doctored and edited, unlike a more ordinary reviewer might do), otherwise they are pretty useless as a more object measure of the quality of the product.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory

MrMobile/Michael Fisher is a reasonable source

-

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I'm sure she's a super nice person, but iJustine for me is the most irritating YouTuber out there that talks about Apple products. If you like her I'm not knocking you for that, but to me she is the absolute worst.
When your blonde, attractive, and popular it really doesn’t matter how skilled or talented you are. I’m looking at you Paris Hilton.

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
As always they are all glowing, never critical. Don’t want to upset Apple. Not worth watching.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Wouldn’t surprise be one bit if Apple sends pre-approved scripts/talking points along with these devices.

That being said, I did order an S7 and I’m super hyped for it. But these YouTubers are nothing but corporate shills.
It is smart business for Apple. Apple knows that far too many people look to others for validation of what to do. It is rampant on here. Get some Apple yes people devices early and get the validation seeking people in a tech feeding frenzy.

Reactions: Caliber26
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.