• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Watch shipments totaled an impressive 11.8 million units in the third quarter of 2020, up nearly 75% from 6.8 million units shipped in the third quarter of 2019, according to figures shared today by research firm IDC.

apple-watch-series-6-blood-oxygen-monitoring-1.jpg

11.8 million units appears to be a new quarterly record for the Apple Watch, as Statista shows that shipments of the device have never exceeded 9.2 million in any prior quarter, based on data from research firm Strategy Analytics. The third quarter of 2020 encompassed the launch of the high-end Apple Watch Series 6 and mid-range Apple Watch SE, and the Apple Watch Series 3 remains available, providing customers with several price points.

As usual, the big caveat here is that Apple does not disclose Apple Watch unit sales in its earnings reports, so any figures from research firms are estimates. That said, Apple's wearables category brought in a record $7.9 billion in revenue last quarter, and given that this segment includes products like the Apple Watch and AirPods, there is evidence to suggest that the Apple Watch has been selling quite well as of late.

IDC estimates that the Apple Watch held 21.6% market share among wrist-worn wearables shipped worldwide last quarter, trailing in second behind Xiaomi's estimated 24.5% market share, but this includes everything from high-end smartwatches to basic fitness trackers like Xiaomi's Mi Band, which is priced under $50.

Article Link: Apple Watch Sets New Record With Estimated 11.8 Million Shipments Last Quarter

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
I’ve been using Apple Watch since the first generation (“Series 0”) and while that was slow and not quite “there” I saw a lot of potential. It got a lot better next year, and by Series 3 and 4 it got pretty solid. Apple Watches are now the gold standard in wearables and the market reflects this.

Comment

mlody

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am happily using my S4 SS, while the wife is using SS S6 and my older daughter is still using my old SS S2. We are very happy with Apple Watch and suckers for stainless steel - once you go stainless steel, you cant go back :) We tend to skip few generations to offset the costs of SS - works just fine for us.

Comment

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
I didn't think I'd like the new blue and red color watches but I think they look great. I have the blue one and just ordered the red. FYI, AT&T has a buy 1, get 1 watch for $330 off.

Comment

trhoffmann

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2019
I’d been holding out on getting an Apple Watch, but in early November I picked up a Series 6. I’m really liking it. I noticed after the fact that since I bought my S6 after 9/15/2020, I can get a 3 month free trial of Fitness+ once that goes live.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightTheFuture
Comment

ghanwani

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2008
the big question is whether we can trust the estimate. no apple watch for me yet and no plans for it.

Comment

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
I am happily using my S4 SS, while the wife is using SS S6 and my older daughter is still using my old SS S2. We are very happy with Apple Watch and suckers for stainless steel - once you go stainless steel, you cant go back :) We tend to skip few generations to offset the costs of SS - works just fine for us.
I actually went back. I have to say, I prefer the texture and weight of the Aluminum S4, but I despise the easily scratchable glass. Indeed I have two not-too-subtle scratches.

Still, it’s faring better than my Pro Max, which is a scratch magnet.

Comment

nikaru

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
I have Series 2 and personally I really cant see any functionality or improvment that justifies paying 399$ for a brand new Series 6. Yeah, bigger screen, faster CPU, two additional health sensors but the bottom line is that I want a full week of battery life under very casual use, just checking notifications and recording health data day and night.

Reactions: WoodpeckerBaby
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.