Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watch Solo Loop Sizing Matches Sport Loop Holes

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
This is basically what I did, and posted it in the other loop sizing thread. But, what I did was print out the sizing chart, make sure to get that right. Then, I connected my nike sport band together to the loop I use for a slightly snug fit. I layed it down ON the picture with the top of the strap (connected together appropriately) at the base of the watch face image on the page. It layed down on the page below and the other end of my connected strap indicated which size to buy. It was the same number as when I tried to use the cut out to wrap around my wrist. Frankly, this type of sizing measurement would be much better for most (assuming they already have a sport band to try it with)

Comment

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
Using the paper size 7 was tight, size 8 was loose. In the middle of 7 and 8 seemed ideal.

Using the normal Sport Band on a 44mm Series 4 and S/M band, I typically sit at 3 holes from the end. At night I like it a little loose I put it at 2 holes from the end. Using this graphic the 2nd and 3rd holes from the end map to sizes 8 and 7 respectively, exactly to what the paper guide had me at.

I'll be ordering a Size 7.

Comment

joeblough

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2006
i normally wear the larger sport band on the 4th hole with my series 4/5 watches.

i ordered a s6 and the tool told me that i needed a size 7 solo loop. it's way too loose. laying the sport band over the size 7, i can see that it falls between the 4th and 5th holes, so in theory it should be OK.

the problem with this of course is that the sport band overlaps itself and that makes the inner diameter smaller than the solo loop.

because apple wants me to return the whole thing, i just ordered a size 6 band... which is backordered a whole month. i'm hoping at some point they come to their senses and let people return a wrongly-sized band without returning the watch.

edit: whoops, i wear the S/M watch band, not the larger one. also i went into a store and checked sizes and size 5 ended up being right for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpn
Comment

sentiblue

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
So I just received my watch yesterday and the loop was a disapointment!
I printed the measurement page, cut out the band and had it measured on to my wrist to a very comfortable size 7. Only to find out the loop was generously too loose when I tried to wear it yesterday. I can literally pull the watch halfway close to my elbow. I honestly don't know what to do with it now.

Comment

jonnyb098

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Ok....this should not be that complicated and very un-apple like. Theres WAY too much confusion on these bands. Good Grief!

Also...its 2020. Not the best year to be releasing bands that require tons of trial and error in store or with returning.

Comment

stringerhye

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Ok....this should not be that complicated and very un-apple like. Theres WAY too much confusion on these bands. Good Grief!

Also...its 2020. Not the best year to be releasing bands that require tons of trial and error in store or with returning.

It's interesting, because mine fits perfect, I measured a size 11 and that's the size I was.

Comment

chill991

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2020
With my 44mm series 4, I wore the sport band on the 3rd hole. Using the measure guide, it said size 11. Received the S6 yesterday and my solo band is a perfect fit. So what I found didn’t align with the article.

Comment

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
Hmmm the braided loop must be a little different. I wear the sport loop on hole 5 most of the time, ordered the braided loop in a 4, and it is just a bit too loose - I really want to exchange for a 3. I think it has to do with the stiffness of the fluoroelastomer vs the flexibility of the material in the braided loop.

Comment

BurgDog

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
This is like ordering shoes. You really can't tell for sure until you try them on and wear them a bit. At least Zappos makes it easy to try and return. Apple doesn't. I like the solo loop but I'm not buying one until I can try it on first. And even then, I may want to change size after wearing it for a day or so. Making band changes difficult is a bad decision on Apple's part.

Comment

Stephencovar

macrumors regular
May 20, 2015
Pasadena, California
Yeah, this isn’t accurate. According to this method, I’d be a 9 which I tried on and was very tight and uncomfortable. I wear M/L sports and Nike bands and wear my watch on the 4th hole from the end of the band. On the Solo loop, I’m a 10. It’s snug and comfortable.

Reactions: iBluetooth
Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I think these bands are lovely if you get the fit right. But I’m so glad I went for the tried and true Velcro type adjustable band instead. Sometimes I have an autoimmune flare up and retain fluids, so getting a size I can live with would be problematic.

Reactions: NervousFish2
Comment

NervousFish2

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
So in short, if my wife currently is between band size holes with her sport loop (one is too tight, next hole is loose enough that the watch disconnects and locks on her all the time), she won’t be any better off with these? That’s sad.
I would say this is incorrect, because the loop is actually intentionally a stretchier material. I would say your wife should pick the lower size of the two sizes she is between, and she'll be fine. From what I'm reading, the loop needs to be somewhat snug for the blood oxygen readings to work anyway.

Last edited:
Comment

NervousFish2

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
As for myself, I am now glad I cancelled my size 9 loop order. Using the paper measure, I was between size 8 and 9. With this new size guide, I know with confidence I am a size 8.

Only thing is, I've now lost my place in the line by 3-4 weeks! :(

Comment

jlseattle

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
This whole thing is mismanaged on apples part. I ordered a band an according to their wrist measurements I'm supposed to be a 7 but now looking at the band on my wrist and the pictures above I realize I'm a 4. IDIOTIC!

Apple you can do better!

Comment

midkay

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
This seems really wrong to me. According to John’s mapping I’d need to wear a size 8 but in reality that would be huge on me. Apple is confidently suggesting a size 7 and even that might be loose according to other folks on here.

Comment

NervousFish2

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
This seems really wrong to me. According to John’s mapping I’d need to wear a size 8 but in reality that would be huge on me. Apple is confidently suggesting a size 7 and even that might be loose according to other folks on here.
How did you come to that? Just curious. Using the system here, I went down a size. So I am just wondering how you went up?

Comment

NervousFish2

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
This whole thing is mismanaged on apples part. I ordered a band an according to their wrist measurements I'm supposed to be a 7 but now looking at the band on my wrist and the pictures above I realize I'm a 4. IDIOTIC!

Apple you can do better!
That can't be right. I can understand a slight variation, but 3 sizes? Myself, I went down a half size using the sports band system, compared to the paper measurement. If you went down 3 sizes, I suspect something was off -- perhaps in the printout you were using. Can you double check?

Comment

Saturn007

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
"Ok....this should not be that complicated and very un-apple like. Theres WAY too much confusion on these bands. Good Grief!"

I'll bite. So, what's your brilliant solution to all this? :cool: What do you know that talented, well paid individuals and groups at Apple couldn't figure out?!

It's not an easy problem -- at least Apple finally realized, after pushback, that they needed to permit band swaps without returning the watch!

Comment

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
I'm having to wait two months to get my watch because I ordered the braided loop. And all this talk of sizing, I feel like I'm going to be disappointed as soon as I get it.

Comment

tsduke

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
This would seem accurate for me. Wish this was part of the sizing guiding when ordering.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.