Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I have an Apple Watch Sport 42mm. I took it in the pool yesterday and after getting out the speaker was much quieter and sounded sort of muffled. I blew into it several times and water came out. After a while I got some notifications and the speaker was working fine again. Today I went to the beach and took the Watch off before I got in the water; I put it back on and then rinsed off in the shower; I also swam in the pool a bit after getting home with the Watch on, like yesterday. Speaker seems to be doing the same thing as yesterday. Any idea why this could be?

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
"Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended."

http://www.apple.com/watch/design/

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
"Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended."

http://www.apple.com/watch/design/

That's meaningless. It's rated IPX7 water resistant (waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes), and Apple is obligated to replace manufacturing defects leading to water ingress under warranty.

OP, I bet it's an early sign of water ingress. I'd get it swapped out. Others do not have this problem.

Reactions: jmikhail490

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Ingress??? It sounds like the OP had a drop water adhering or cohesion in the armature opening muffling the sound. Once the water is removed (evaporation) all is normal.
Ah ok that makes me feel better. So it just takes a bit for the water to evaporate?

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Ah ok that makes me feel better. So it just takes a bit for the water to evaporate?
Yep. This happens to me like daily.

If you're not used to getting your watch wet I can see how this could freak you out at first. Keep on using your Watch around water, it can handle it. If there's ever an issue, apple will need to replace it. I also suggest getting AppleCare on it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Ingress??? It sounds like the OP had a drop water adhering or cohesion in the armature opening muffling the sound. Once the water is removed (evaporation) all is normal.

Well, that could very well be the culprit. One member reported after drying that a considerable amount of water spilled out of the microphone hole, which is definitely a case of water ingress.

So you're saying it's normal to temporarily lose microphone and speaker function every time you take a shower? Sounds annoying.

Yeah I know, I just like it for the accidental damage coverage and the extension of the 1 year warranty manufacturer defect warranty. For $49 I figured what the hell.

Fair enough.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hard to say. Usually you can just shake it out if you don't want to let it air dry. But I would say it takes less time to air dry itself in you actually wear it instead of letting it sit.
seems like the speaker is getting louder now. I am starting to hear notifications.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That's meaningless. It's rated IPX7 water resistant (waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes), and Apple is obligated to replace manufacturing defects leading to water ingress under warranty.

unless they have proof that you went under 1 meter or for longer than 30 minutes. If they have that proof then they have justification to say you violated the terms of the warranty.

Thepixelsedge

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I have an Apple Watch Sport 42mm. I took it in the pool yesterday and after getting out the speaker was much quieter and sounded sort of muffled. I blew into it several times and water came out. After a while I got some notifications and the speaker was working fine again. Today I went to the beach and took the Watch off before I got in the water; I put it back on and then rinsed off in the shower; I also swam in the pool a bit after getting home with the Watch on, like yesterday. Speaker seems to be doing the same thing as yesterday. Any idea why this could be?

I had this exact same thing happen to me and posted about it in another thread here. It's happened to me while washing the watch... Mine went completely muffled.. I just shake it out onto the counter. You'd be surprised how much water comes out of that tiny hole.

After it dries it seems to be normal tho.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I had this exact same thing happen to me and posted about it in another thread here. It's happened to me while washing the watch... Mine went completely muffled.. I just shake it out onto the counter. You'd be surprised how much water comes out of that tiny hole.

After it dries it seems to be normal tho.
Yeah a significant amount of water! It's pretty crazy! Mine seems to be back to normal now.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My 42SS does this after washing it most the time. It is not a defect as the speaker always come back just the same. Simply water in the speaker hole and one dried out returns to normal. I can hold my watch carefully and "sling" the watch and get the water to come out of the speaker hole.

Just because water gets to the speaker does not mean we had water get into the watch circuitry. I suspect this is the way the watch is designed.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
For the most part the Apple Watch is a pretty rugged little device. That's why I don't baby it.
Yeah based on all the tests I've seen people do on it, it seems to be able to handle a significant amount of water. That's why I figured, "why not bring it in the pool!"
On the other hand, has anyone here tried it at the beach? I went yesterday and I wasn't sure about the salt water, so I left it in a bag on shore.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

OP, I bet it's an early sign of water ingress. I'd get it swapped out. Others do not have this problem.

This is literally how all devices act when water gets in the speaker??

Waterproof phones did this. Other waterproof watches with speakers do this. It's completely normal.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
This is literally how all devices act when water gets in the speaker??

Waterproof phones did this. Other waterproof watches with speakers do this. It's completely normal.

Fair enough.

Is it normal for a considerable amount of water to spill out of the speaker/microphone holes once it's air dried and you shake it? I've submerged my Watch several times and never had this happen.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
cohesing
My 42SS does this after washing it most the time. It is not a defect as the speaker always come back just the same. Simply water in the speaker hole and one dried out returns to normal. I can hold my watch carefully and "sling" the watch and get the water to come out of the speaker hole.

Just because water gets to the speaker does not mean we had water get into the watch circuitry. I suspect this is the way the watch is designed.
Actually this is the way water molecules are 'designed'.;) There is no way to have a tiny opening exposed to water without having water's adhesion and cohesion effect.

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/adhesion.html

Also the speaker and mic are not dynamic drivers (like the paper or plastic drivers we are use to seeing) but are a balanced armature driver. Armatures are far less prone to water damage and are easy to make water resistant/proof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.