Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Listerman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Stopped by the Outlets today and set off the door alarm in every store. Had to show the employees the watch was causing it by holding it out through the door.

jeblis

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2012
Are you sure it's the watch? I had some jeans with a sewn in security tag that didn't get properly deactivated.

Listerman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Positive it was the watch. Took it off and waved it through the gateway. I didnt purchase anything so I wasnt carrying anything out

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Positive it was the watch. Took it off and waved it through the gateway. I didnt purchase anything so I wasnt carrying anything out

If true, this could be the first "*-gate" to actially get media attention... That would be a pretty embarrassing oversight. Can anyone else confirm this weird behavior?

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
Interesting. The alarm went off when I left Toys R Us today and it did not occur to me that it could be the watch. We only had one small toy and that had no tag on it so I assumed it was just a false alarm.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You could be onto something. I bought some stuff from forever 21 today. Afterwards I went into H & M. I thought oh great Forever 21 have probably left a tag on something but after inspecting all my clothes there weren't any tags on there. It happened again when I was leaving the store. Oddly enough it didn't happen in any of the stores I went into afterwards.

Krashj

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
I created an account to add my experience. I et the alarm off walking into (empty handed) and out of best buy today. I assumed it was a malfunction...

Tim7

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Gravesend, Kent, UK
I work as a support engineer for the Co-operative here in the UK so drive round going to all the shops and my Watch didn't set off any shop alarms on the way in or out today.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Maybe not a total surprise they didn't spot this - after all the watches are on display in the one shop that doesn't have a security alarm.

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
If true, this could be the first "*-gate" to actially get media attention... That would be a pretty embarrassing oversight. Can anyone else confirm this weird behavior?

Interesting to see what would've happened if an employee testing the Watch 1 year ago set off the store alarm and had to prove he wasn't stealing. But in doing so they must reveal it's the Watch's fault.

Reactions: g-7

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Yup, same thing happened to me, but I'm not sure if the watch caused it or if it was the razor blades I stuffed in my jacket...

Edit: Seriously though, this isn't Apple's problem. There will soon be 2 million+ people walking around the country wearing an Apple Watch, and if your alarm goes off due to it, then your alarm is broken (not the watch). Your alarm is designed to detect stolen goods and it's failing because the Apple Watch is NOT stolen. Don't blame Apple, blame alarm manufacturers for making a defective product.

Last edited:

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Wow.. That's crazy.. Who would've thought this to happen? You know?
Like... Who tests this? Lol. Who would've thought to test this in research lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.