Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Apple Watch SS with Classic Buckle as a daily driver?

I work in an office five days a week 9-5pm, so I want something a bit more stylish. However I want this band to be my daily driver. Would the leather hold up if I wear it constantly, even outside in the elements?

I like to go for walks throughout the year, I do not sweat alot but how will this band handle being worn in the rain, snow....the beach?

My other choice is the Sport Band but I am not one to be at the gym five days a week, constantly sweating so if I could I would prefer the classic buckle.

apple-watch-mickey-mouse.jpg

riotrhythm

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2015
This is what I'm going for as well. I'm a photographer so I would definitely be out in the elements more than someone who works in an office and I'm not worried about the leather wearing drastically. Grabbing a white sport band and a milanese loop for special occasions too :cool:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
This is what I'm going for as well. I'm a photographer so I would definitely be out in the elements more than someone who works in an office and I'm not worried about the leather wearing drastically. Grabbing a white sport band and a milanese loop for special occasions too :cool:

wow that's sexy... I love the classic buckle look.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY

I know you wouldn't wear a leather band submerged in water, I do not plan on that but I don't see why a little sweat on occasion and rain/snow should be a problem, just want to see what everyone thinks. Thanks!

gcooldude86

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm combo of in and out of the office, going for the link bracelett. I don't workout so just debating on the need for a second band, and if I do get a second band debating on the white sport and this classic buckle.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Are you afraid to wear your leather shoes as a daily driver? If not, it's the same thing.

Just keep it dry and it'll be fine (wipe down as soon as possible after going through the rain, etc.). All leather straps have shorter lifespans than link bracelets and the like so they have to be replaced after so many years anyway.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Are you afraid to wear your leather shoes as a daily driver? If not, it's the same thing.

Just keep it dry and it'll be fine (wipe down as soon as possible after going through the rain, etc.). All leather straps have shorter lifespans than link bracelets and the like so they have to be replaced after so many years anyway.

True and for a watch that will be upgraded every 2-3 years I don't see that being an issue.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
In my experience, leather bands tend to last about 2 years or so before they need to be replaced. The Apple bands look a bit thicker, so perhaps they will last a little longer. Have you considered a sport band for after-hours use?

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
In my experience, leather bands tend to last about 2 years or so before they need to be replaced. The Apple bands look a bit thicker, so perhaps they will last a little longer. Have you considered a sport band for after-hours use?

Yea, its either I buy the SS with Sport and eventually by the Leather Buckle for $150.

or just get the SS with the leather buckle to start in the first place.

Totalkharnage

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Halifax UK
Exactly the model I'm going for, for the same reasons. Work in an office so want something stylish. Will also be picking up a sport band for the gym.

Can't wait for the 24th!!

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is exactly my choice. A very elegant pairing in my opinion.

As much as the sport band looks nice, this combo has a more stylish feel, the metal clasps that join the casing and finish the effect of the rounded case are beautiful. I also love the SS buckle, it just feels more like jewelry.

dd850f77a50eb641f77d6c40c17b9c5520e34fd6.jpg

I just wanted to make sure it would hold up to the elements.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Apple Watch SS with Classic Buckle as a daily driver?

I work in an office five days a week 9-5pm, so I want something a bit more stylish. However I want this band to be my daily driver. Would the leather hold up if I wear it constantly, even outside in the elements?

I like to go for walks throughout the year, I do not sweat alot but how will this band handle being worn in the rain, snow....the beach?

My other choice is the Sport Band but I am not one to be at the gym five days a week, constantly sweating so if I could I would prefer the classic buckle.

Originally I was going to order the SS w/ Classic buckle but now I'm going for the Milanese loop because:

- I'm going to be running with my watch and I'm not too confident in the durability of the leather band against sweat even if treated with leather shoe spray

- The one thing I dislike about the leather buckle design is that the end of the band will come out of the strap keeper and it's a nuisance to tuck it back in. The Milanese loop and sport bands do not have this issue for obvious reasons.

- I'd rather have stainless mesh band for $149 than a leather one regardless of what tannery it came from.

Totalkharnage

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Halifax UK
Originally I was going to order the SS w/ Classic buckle but now I'm going for the Milanese loop because:

- I'm going to be running with my watch and I'm not too confident in the durability of the leather band against sweat even if treated with leather shoe spray

- The one thing I dislike about the leather buckle design is that the end of the band will come out of the strap keeper and it's a nuisance to tuck it back in. The Milanese loop and sport bands do not have this issue for obvious reasons.

- I'd rather have stainless mesh band for $149 than a leather one regardless of what tannery it came from.

Wonder how strong the magnets in the Milanese and leather loops will be. Seen a few reviews saying they won't come undone with normal use but not sure I'd personally trust it with running/gym use.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Wonder how strong the magnets in the Milanese and leather loops will be. Seen a few reviews saying they won't come undone with normal use but not sure I'd personally trust it with running/gym use.

One of our forum members noticed that there is a notch in the end of the magnet connector that you could fit your fingernail under. I'm assuming the magnets are strong enough to where you would need your fingernail to peel the magnet off. I have also spoken to a watch expert about this and he said the magnet clasps are pretty strong.

Totalkharnage

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Halifax UK
One of our forum members noticed that there is a notch in the end of the magnet connector that you could fit your fingernail under. I'm assuming the magnets are strong enough to where you would need your fingernail to peel the magnet off. I have also spoken to a watch expert about this and he said the magnet clasps are pretty strong.

Ah cool. Guess that reinforces why a hands on with the watch and bands is worthwhile before ordering. I'm preordering the classic buckle though.

Watchnut

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
I may be in the minority here, but I find the classic buckle strap to be very plain looking for the money. To me it almost looks like from the stock photos as if it were a chocolate flavored fruit roll up (if there is such a flavor)!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I may be in the minority here, but I find the classic buckle strap to be very plain looking for the money. To me it almost looks like from the stock photos as if it were a chocolate flavored fruit roll up (if there is such a flavor)!

You're not alone. That was another turn off for me for the Classic buckle.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
It is, by far, the most annoying type of band to put on and take off every day, sometimes twice. That reason alone is enough for me to rule it out. The leather will probably last fine, and hey, if it wears out, you can just replace it.

But if you really want something that's going to last, it's all about that link bracelet.

Phillybizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
I think i'm going SS with Sport band. This leather band just looks too smart watchy for me.

Hopefully I'll be able to add my own third party bands down the line or if not, I'm off to the US a month after release so.. I'll pick up a cheap band there.

Technodynamic

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
for the same money I'm getting the milanese loop, and I'll probably pick up a black sport band for those occasions where I'm doing physical stuff.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I am thinking the same thing--this might be the best business option, and then get a rubber band for casual use. I prefer SS or gold bands for daily watch bands, but not sure I want to spend that much on this watch. Hot, humid conditions can kind of beat up a leather band, but I do like the classic look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.